Wind Direction: Advice or Public Information

salfordlad

Visit site
…and so such as “it’s a two club wind against” is not allowed as it contains an element of advice in club selection.
Context is everything. If I get to the tee first, no-one else there yet, I get hit with a big gusty wind and mumble "whoa, it's a two club wind against", there is no issue. It needs intent to influence and it needs an audience that are yet to play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Context is everything. If I get to the tee first, no-one else there yet, I get hit with a big gusty wind and mumble "whoa, it's a two club wind against", there is no issue. It needs intent to influence and it needs an audience that are yet to play.
Indeed, as you say that being different scenario from that when a fellow player asks about the wind and such advice is given.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Playing yesterday one of my group had an app that provides wind direction and strength; it also provides slope that could be switched off for comps. But he claimed that when slope was switched off the app also switched off wind direction and strength.

I found that curious as I thought wind facts were not advice…unless I guess the wind facts were adjusted for slope, but that seems unlikely. 🤔

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing yesterday one of my group had an app that provides wind direction and strength; it also provides slope that could be switched off for comps. But he claimed that when slope was switched off the app also switched off wind direction and strength.

I found that curious as I thought wind facts were not advice…unless I guess the wind facts were adjusted for slope, but that seems unlikely. 🤔
See 4.3a(2), second bullet point. You are not allowed to measure wind speed. Guess, estimate from its strength on your face but don't measure with a device or even an object like a hankie.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
See 4.3a(2), second bullet point. You are not allowed to measure wind speed. Guess, estimate from its strength on your face but don't measure with a device or even an object like a hankie.
Just couldn‘t (and still can’t) work out how an app can give more precise local wind speed information than would be available from, say, the BBC weather app. And chucking grass in air to test wind is allowed? Anyway, as that’s the rule then so be it. Was just curious.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just couldn‘t (and still can’t) work out how an app can give more precise local wind speed information than would be available from, say, the BBC weather app. And chucking grass in air to test wind is allowed? Anyway, as that’s the rule then so be it. Was just curious.
Short answer - it doesn't. Mainly because the BBC only uses the same sources as everyone else