Advice needed

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I have booked two weeks off work to focus on improving my golf. As i have recently purchased a house a summer holiday is out of the question so i am going to use my time more productively.

The advice i'm after is how best to spend my time? HID will be in work during the day so i will head down to the Course at 9.00am each day.

I was going to spend a couple of hours practicing then head out for a round and work on different things? my putting is truely terrible at the moment so that definatley needs some work.

Any ideas/advice? what would you do in my position?

Cheers

Mike

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am in exactly the same situation, I have been going to the course about 8:00 five days a week doing an hours putting practise, 30-45 driving range trying to sort my "coming over he top" and then trying to beat the previous days score.

Starting to play other members from Monday to get my competitive edge back.

Toad

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mike, everyone is different but I had 19 days holiday in May and played golf on 16 days out of those 19, wife was bit pissed as I had promised to get up to date with the DIY, but the weather was just too good.
All I did was play full practise rounds and medals and did not think too much about anything other than enjoying each game.

My overall game has improved, I am also more relaxed when on the course and during that holiday and the weeks following I have moved from 14 to 10.4.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
With the weather we're having at the moment - take an umbrella would be the best advice!!!

Seriously Mickey, don't overdo it. It's good to practise but beware of golfing burnout. Ensure you plan your sessions so's you know what you want from your practising. If you're going hard core golfing, just play a few holes after your sessions to unwind and put the practise into play.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
an umbrella is a must in sunny manchester! Yes, i dont want to over do it. I had thought about maybe practicing putting and short game on one day then playing a full round the next day. then long irons one day and a round the next. I dont really want to play a round every day.

Also i have a little list of DIY things to do, about 50 at last count. i'd be strung up if after 2 weeks all i have done is hung a painting and played golf...

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just spent two weeks golfing 10-3 while the nipper's at school. Total waste of time (in terms of improvement) but I've enjoyed 9 odd rounds (mostly 9s) and met some good folk around the club. Go and practice a bit and play for fun....don't set yourself a target....or you'll be depressed like me that real improvement takes place over long-term and gradual work. Fix up your house!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its quality not quantity. My advice would be to book 2 lessons with your nearest pro - one for a general swing assessment and one to look at chipping and putting. That way you know what to focus on.

Depending on how long you want to spend at the course my breakdown (from previous experience when made redundant and time to play every day) is

Mon - am Short game from 130 yards and in (8 iron down) plus chipping (2 hours) Hours break

18 holes and then home

Tues - am 18 holes and lunch - 1 hour putting and 1 hour bunker/chipping

Weds am - Mid irons - 2 hours
pm 9 holes and then work on any swing faults

Thurs am 18 holes
pm try and get the pro to give your swing the once over and then work on things from the lessons

Fri am - long game including fairway woods and driving (plus long iron)
pm - 18 holes

Sat/Sun Club roll ups and competitions

The thing to do is then vary the practice sessions around so you don't get bored. Maybe if the weather is iffy am practice instead of playing.

Above all don't overdo it and start to ingrain swing faults. My suggestion would be to sit down with your pro and get a plan worked out (this is what my pro discussed with me) as he knows your swing and game better than me

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mickey you've answered your own question mate!

Practise your short game get out on one of those greens at Reddish play 1 ball and chip and putt until the sun goes down.Just spent all day taking 2-3 to get on/close to the green then another 3-4 get it in the hole on pretty much every hole. :mad:

Start at 100ft out then work your way in but only play with one ball it focuses the mind in my opinion.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
dont worry i will be fixing up the house :D

Yeah thats good advice, i have just booked a block of 10 lessons with my pro so i'll email him for a plan/advice.

short game is going to get a real seeing to.

I'm not going to push it to burn out but i do fancy putting in some quality golfing hours and get on top of things a bit. also after spending long long hours stuck in a hot office for 6-7 days a week i fancy breathing in the fresh air of the course and feeling the sun (rain) on my neck for a couple of weeks.