Acceptable golf course attire.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Tracksuit bottoms at a Top 100 course ? Interesting to know which course and was it under waterproofs ?

I saw a bloke tee off at Silloth in cargo shorts and a bright orange Nike gym top (untucked), with his dog in tow. No one seemed to mind.

Our course thankfully has no dress code as such and tbh, someone in a modern cut tracksuit bottoms with a well fitted sports top looks far smarter than the bloke who turns up in some faded old chinos with a jumper with half his breakfast spilled down the front.

Personally I like wearing golf attire on the course so i generally do so, but there are occasions when I've just driven past the course and decided to play a few holes and ill be wearing my trackies and a hoody etc.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
It is irritating and often a nonsense when your committee that decide upon dress code is three old men who look like they belong in a C&A catalogue from the 1970s when they are out on the course.
A few years back, five or so, we were asked to implement a "no jeans" rule in medals.

The request came from a 17 year old who is a mechanic.

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
General thoughts on what is acceptable to wear on a golf course. If it is sold by golf retailer is it OK? I personally have changed my thoughts as some of the more modern clothes are really quite nice.

I’ve started playing at a nice course and the website has a fairly detailed list of what is acceptable, but I haven‘t seen any issues with attire. I think it says ‘collared polos’ etc but I usually wear a mid layer with a short zip, no collar, and a sleeveless Under Armour over the top. I think most places have realised it’s unreasonable to expect strict adherence when pro’s play in modern garb. I think UA and Nike make the rules nowadays.

D

Deleted member 29109

Oh you hired a pitch. How strange, they have dress code rules, here's the one for Goals View attachment 40662

Well done again. Except we don’t play at goals.

No metal studs is to protect the playing surface from damaged and you can’t really disagree with that. No jewellery is about safety, again there is nothing to disagree with there. No jeans or caps is simply about keeping the undesirables off the pitches.

No one has ever explained to me why me choosing to play golf in jeans has any impact on what them. Even on here people have said they are impractical, heavy, too warm, too cold, not wind proof. Most of which is untrue if you buy the right jeans. The exact same thing could be said for chinos, but they are ok ??‍♂️.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have very significantly relaxed what we can wear in the clubhouse, by allowing … jeans and trainers ? No t-shirts yet though.

But no jeans on the course…though I suspect the grey trousers I wore yesterday might have been a denim material and I may have just edged over the acceptable line ?. I’m really not too bothered about strict dress code - especially for juniors, for them I’d have almost anything goes.

When the membership of my club decides that we wish to relax further our dress code, then it will happen. Meanwhile as I do not hear any ‘noises-off’ about the subject, it seems that the majority are happy with it as it is - fairly trad.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Well done again. Except we don’t play at goals.

No metal studs is to protect the playing surface from damaged and you can’t really disagree with that. No jewellery is about safety, again there is nothing to disagree with there. No jeans or caps is simply about keeping the undesirables off the pitches.

No one has ever explained to me why me choosing to play golf in jeans has any impact on what them. Even on here people have said they are impractical, heavy, too warm, too cold, not wind proof. Most of which is untrue if you buy the right jeans. The exact same thing could be said for chinos, but they are ok ??‍♂️.
:unsure::confused:

I didn't say you played at Goals, I said "here's the one for Goals". Where do you play?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't said not implied that in the slightest. You're normally quite sensible.
The point is - you stated the example of how jackets and ties are no longer worn on the course. You seemed to suggest this was a positive sign of progress. But you're against further progress such as polyester shirts without collars instead of polyester shirts with collars? Or being able to wear tracksuit bottoms? Progress is a continual process.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
This is a genuine question and i don't know the answer, but does anyone know how the transition from the shirt and jackets of yesteryear to the "modern" dress code of polo shirt and chino style trousers came about?

I genuinely don't know the answer and I could be miles out but I've always wondered whether it started as a bit of a bending of the rules itself?

Ie wearing a collared polo shirt instead of a dress shirt becsuse the dress code stated that tops must have a collar; and wearing tailored chino trousers over stiffer suit trousers as the dress stated they must be tailored?

D

Deleted member 15344

I saw a bloke tee off at Silloth in cargo shorts and a bright orange Nike gym top (untucked), with his dog in tow. No one seemed to mind.

Our course thankfully has no dress code as such and tbh, someone in a modern cut tracksuit bottoms with a well fitted sports top looks far smarter than the bloke who turns up in some faded old chinos with a jumper with half his breakfast spilled down the front.

Personally I like wearing golf attire on the course so i generally do so, but their are occasions when I've just driven past the course and decided to play a few holes and ill be wearing my trackies and a hoody etc.

It’s an old age debate that will go around in circles for generations

I have also seen people wearing golf clothes but look like they have been dragged backwards through a hedge - hence why it should always be “clean and presentable”

and the guy playing at Silloth ignored their dress code - that for me shows a lack of respect , regardless of what people think of dress codes etc people should always respect them - yes challenge them via the appropriate channels which at our club members have and changes have been made ( jeans , trainers in the clubhouse etc )

I enjoy wearing golf clothes playing golf - it’s designed for golf and I suspect it’s the same for most of us on here - the shirts , shorts , mid layers etc are all designed for comfort and keeping dry on a golf course - just like lots of other sport clothing is designed for that sport

Dress codes don’t stop people starting or playing golf , they don’t turn people away. If someone wanted to play a game of golf in trainers , trackies and a football shirt there will be a golf course that will be fine with that

But it is a debate that will never end - and I’ll always follow the same mantra

Make sure my clothes are clean and within the acceptable standards of the club I’m playing at

Boomy

Visit site
The point is - you stated the example of how jackets and ties are no longer worn on the course. You seemed to suggest this was a positive sign of progress. But you're against further progress such as polyester shirts without collars instead of polyester shirts with collars? Or being able to wear tracksuit bottoms? Progress is a continual process.

I really don't see how wearing tracksuit bottoms is progress! Maybe you could get permission to play in your undercrackers then you would barely have to get dressed or put any effort in at all. Track suits were designed for use at the track, to wear over running kit in between sessions, but have been adopted as casual wear which is great, for just that. Progress shouldn't be "all to nothing" over night, subtle changes and improvements whilst maintaining basic standards along the way.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really don't see how wearing tracksuit bottoms is progress! Maybe you could get permission to play in your undercrackers then you would barely have to get dressed or put any effort in at all. Track suits were designed for use at the track, to wear over running kit in between sessions, but have been adopted as casual wear which is great, for just that. Progress shouldn't be "all to nothing" over night, subtle changes and improvements whilst maintaining basic standards along the way.
I see golf as a sport, maybe you don't - but to that end I fail to see why sports clothing shouldn't be allowed, that's all. When I say tracksuit bottoms, I'm not talking 80s shellsuit style - just plain black leggings essentially, the type of thing I wear for football training in winter. Wouldn't be an eyesore by any means. You may not see as progress because you're of a certain age and used to the status quo. But you tell a 20 year old who knows nothing about golf that you need to wear smart trousers to go on the golf course, or you can just wear the sports clothing he/she/they no doubt already owns, it might make the difference between them taking up the game or not.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I still don't know why Golf is scared of black socks with shorts, tee shirts, cargo shorts or anything else for that matter..
What does Golf think is going to happen to the fabric of society if someone dares to wear these ....things on a golf course.?
And as for having your shirt untucked.........
Clubs can make whatever rules they like..we know that..
With what clothes people wear - why does it matter...?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I tend to wear smart golf style clothing on the course. Probably because that is what I was brought up with and partly because that is generally the accepted standard at golf courses. Where I source them from is irrelevant, as long as they look the part. I do tend to buy clothing which I think is comfortable, and suits the climate at the time I'm playing. This means that I can vary between shorts and light polo shirts in the summer to waterproofs and multi-layers in the winter.
I prefer to see a reasonable standard of attire on the course, and irrespective of what my preference is, I'll always adhere to the dress code of the course I play at. I may not necessarily agree with it, but, it's their club and their rules.
In Glasgow, there are a number of bars that have a "no colours" (football shirts) rule. If people want to go into that bar, then they have to either dress in the right way, or they don't get in.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
We have gender neutral policy regarding socks, but the shirt-tucked-in debate continues.
"...designed to be not tucked in" is allowable. This is obviously proving difficult to police.
It gives the three old men something to do and talk about.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just wear some clothes that suits your body shape is all I ask for, don't wear garish outfits if you are are 4 stone stone overweight regardless of a clubs dress policy.