Acceptable golf course attire.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just wondering Crow, do you match your clothing with the clubs you use for a particular round? :whistle:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've discovered that Caribbean guayabera shirts are more cofortable for me than polos in the summer.
I still patronize our professional's shop for club logo polos, but I wear them off course.

Guayabera shirts are not tucked in, of course, but since they're square-bottomed and very obviously made to wear untucked, nobody objects to them.

Here's the advantage. I have suspender buttons sewn onto my golf trousers, and can wear the braces under the guayabera. (Can't do that with tucked in polo shirts.)
Then I'm not tugging at my trousers all day. I'm convinced not having to do that is good for a couple of strokes over eighteen holes.
That sounds a great set-up..... however many folk won't understand it.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I wear the shorts on the left to play golf. They are M&S and conform to our club's rules.
The shorts on the right are non-conforming and unacceptable for golf.
Make your own mind up if this makes sense.

shorts.JPG

RichA

Visit site
In these supposed enlightened days what I find frustrating is the lack of colour choice in men's trousers (Loudmouth et al aside). The palette seems to be pretty much limited to black, grey, navy blue or beige, not to say that there's anything wrong with beige.

But where are the more vibrant colours? And why don't we see those exciting checks and stripes etc as worn by the greats in the seventies and eighties?
https://www.royalandawesome.co.uk/

NearHull

Visit site
I thought this was bound to be an old thread resurrected - I haven’t been a forum member too long, but I think this must be the fourth time the subject has been revisited In my time.

it may not be the fourth revisit - but it feels like it is.

RichA

Visit site
General thoughts on what is acceptable to wear on a golf course. If it is sold by golf retailer is it OK? I personally have changed my thoughts as some of the more modern clothes are really quite nice.
No rules at our place, that I'm aware of.
My cheap Tesco trousers, unbranded Next polos and M&S merino zip neck sweater look smarter than most golf wear and I can do the weekly shop on the way home without looking like a golf nob in the supermarket.
My golf shoes look like trainers anyway and my Under Armour Gore Tex golf specific jacket looks like a trackie top.
I wouldn't wear jogging bottoms or jeans because they aren't really golf functional. No problem with hoodies but I couldn't do with the hood flapping about and getting in the way of the straps on my bag.
For me, clothes that fall in the smart casual bracket just happen to be the most comfortable and functional for golf.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I've discovered that Caribbean guayabera shirts are more cofortable for me than polos in the summer.
I still patronize our professional's shop for club logo polos, but I wear them off course.

Guayabera shirts are not tucked in, of course, but since they're square-bottomed and very obviously made to wear untucked, nobody objects to them.

Here's the advantage. I have suspender buttons sewn onto my golf trousers, and can wear the braces under the guayabera. (Can't do that with tucked in polo shirts.)
Then I'm not tugging at my trousers all day. I'm convinced not having to do that is good for a couple of strokes over eighteen holes.
And if you tighten the right hand one more than the left it helps to cure a slice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe it’s tradition, not elitism, and tradition doesn’t have to be logical.

I‘d never play golf in jeans, not because I’m trying to smash the proletariat. It’s because they are too hot when it’s warm, rubbish in the wind, weigh half a ton when wet, and restrict movement. Jeans, that is, not the proletariat!!

I wouldn’t wear a footy shirt for golf, cos I’m not playing football, or watching football. If you turned up in one to play golf, it wouldn’t bother me at all. Unless you were a southerner in a Liverpool or Man U shirt. Then you’d have four hours of poor quality humour to put up with. ;):whistle:
Tradition ?. There is a thread going on at the moment about equality in golf, women not getting the same playing rights as men. Most of that is down to tradition, how things have always been. Evolution, change is allowed and also necessary as we move through the years and society changes.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Surely you can do better than that?

But as you’ve gone there. I play football in what could be described as roll up twice a week. We get people wearing everything from full kit, to someone in cricket whites and crocks and everything in between. Before Christmas we had two lads who were working on a construction site in the village join in wearing jeans and shoes as they were on the way to the pub.

We still manage to have a decent game.

If it was anything like playing golf. We’d have someone completely unrelated to our game come and throw some of the players off the pitch for what they choose to play in.
Do you find many free golf courses around where you can just "roll up"? And I rather doubt the guy in crocks had a decent game, that would be impossible.