Acceptable golf course attire.

D

Deleted member 23270

People can wear whatever they want, I don't care. But if they turn up at my club they will only be allowed to play if they follow our dress code which is pretty standard.

Boomy

Visit site
On a football pitch there is in many cases. It is not comparable with golf. Golf is played in essentially the standard clothing of the day. Like James Braid in his tie. Football is an athletic sport requiring specific clothing adapted to its exertions, requires team identification, and in the professional sphere, brand control are essential to its commercial interests. These do not apply to the amateur golfing world. In many causal amateur games people do indeed play them in jeans or whatever casual street ware is their choice.

So, amateur footballers? They could wear denim shorts and a string vest? Doesn’t matter does it? But they choose not too, they wear football clothing to play football (not difficult is it) You’re comparing professional football to amateur golf - hardly balanced. What about professional golf? They too wear specific clothing adapted to its exertions, requires individual identification, and in the professional sphere, brand control are essential to its commercial interests… and so amateur golfers who aspire to play like their hero pros then dress like their hero’s, buy the branded kit they use and that’s generally how it works with the majority of sports.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I respect any view on this. Wear what you like, if you think it’s worth missing out playing somewhere wonderful over a shirt or trousers, you carry on.

Similarly, a club has the right to set its rules and lose revenue and damage it’s reputation by excluding people. In the end it’ll catch up with them.

I think if I’m a guest in someones house, I conform to their norms. If their norms don’t suit me, I don’t go.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
There is just no serious defence on acceptable football pitch attire restriction any more, players should be able to wear what they want, jeans, chinos, golf shirts, variety of colours

Surely you can do better than that?

But as you’ve gone there. I play football in what could be described as roll up twice a week. We get people wearing everything from full kit, to someone in cricket whites and crocks and everything in between. Before Christmas we had two lads who were working on a construction site in the village join in wearing jeans and shoes as they were on the way to the pub.

We still manage to have a decent game.

If it was anything like playing golf. We’d have someone completely unrelated to our game come and throw some of the players off the pitch for what they choose to play in.

D

Deleted member 23270

I've discovered that Caribbean guayabera shirts are more cofortable for me than polos in the summer.
I still patronize our professional's shop for club logo polos, but I wear them off course.

Guayabera shirts are not tucked in, of course, but since they're square-bottomed and very obviously made to wear untucked, nobody objects to them.

Here's the advantage. I have suspender buttons sewn onto my golf trousers, and can wear the braces under the guayabera. (Can't do that with tucked in polo shirts.)
Then I'm not tugging at my trousers all day. I'm convinced not having to do that is good for a couple of strokes over eighteen holes.
Here in the UK we have these things called belts. Seem to work quite well (y)

greenone

Visit site
So, amateur footballers? They could wear denim shorts and a string vest? Doesn’t matter does it? But they choose not too, they wear football clothing to play football (not difficult is it) You’re comparing professional football to amateur golf - hardly balanced. What about professional golf? They too wear specific clothing adapted to its exertions, requires individual identification, and in the professional sphere, brand control are essential to its commercial interests… and so amateur golfers who aspire to play like their hero pros then dress like their hero’s, buy the branded kit they use and that’s generally how it works with the majority of sports.
Pro golfers are paid to be walking billboards so of course they all wear the latest and greatest golfing attire so the gullible wannabes rush out and buy it.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I respect any view on this. Wear what you like, if you think it’s worth missing out playing somewhere wonderful over a shirt or trousers, you carry on.

Similarly, a club has the right to set its rules and lose revenue and damage it’s reputation by excluding people. In the end it’ll catch up with them.

I think if I’m a guest in someones house, I conform to their norms. If their norms don’t suit me, I don’t go.

Clubs can of course set their rules, and one can chose or not to go there. One can also recognise the rules in this case as being anachronistic elitism and conservatism, not anything necessary or really to do with the actual playing of the game.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
What d

Pro golfers are paid to be walking billboards so of course they all wear the latest and greatest golfing attire so the gullible wannabes rush out and buy it.
And clubs with dress stipulations, do not have them because they believe all players on their course should be aping those walking billboards.

evemccc

Visit site
I really don’t like golf clubs with pretensions and not a fan of snobbery at all, nor inverted-snobbery

Yet at the same time I don’t have a problem in golf courses politely asking members and visitors to adhere to their dress code

There is no contradiction in this

Boomy

Visit site
Clubs can of course set their rules, and one can chose or not to go there. One can also recognise the rules in this case as being anachronistic elitism and conservatism, not anything necessary or really to do with the actual playing of the game.

Crikey ?

How elitist, exuberayting conservatism and anachronistic tendencies by setting some basic standards for a golfer, to wear golfing attire, to play golf on a golf course… good lord heavens above whatever next.

IanM

Journeyman Pro

Maybe it’s tradition, not elitism, and tradition doesn’t have to be logical.

I‘d never play golf in jeans, not because I’m trying to smash the proletariat. It’s because they are too hot when it’s warm, rubbish in the wind, weigh half a ton when wet, and restrict movement. Jeans, that is, not the proletariat!!

I wouldn’t wear a footy shirt for golf, cos I’m not playing football, or watching football. If you turned up in one to play golf, it wouldn’t bother me at all. Unless you were a southerner in a Liverpool or Man U shirt. Then you’d have four hours of poor quality humour to put up with. ;):whistle:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
If it was anything like playing golf. We’d have someone completely unrelated to our game come and throw some of the players off the pitch for what they choose to play in.

And when you think of it in those terms it is indeed daft, especially if it is a casual knock about…. And I can also think of lots of golf courses, par 3s etc where exactly that is how folk dress. But as you go up the scale, it becomes less common…. Just like amateur football!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think it’s fair to say golf attire stands have slipped over the last 15 years and for the better, it was always well ott and to a degree the pendulum has swung to a more neutral position if anything bordering too casual. I honestly believe we are on the verge of going too far the other way tho, and I also believe certain people at clubs deem they are above the requirements.

At my old club it was common for people to stay behind for a drink after golf especially in summer months where the wives would also meet up after golf for those who were friends away from the course. During the rounds people would wear golf clothing, but after golf while enjoying a few beers guys would change into smart shorts, polo’s or short leave shirts with either smart flip flops or boat shoes.

You can do smart casual, but I don’t think golf in tracky bottoms or football tees are correct, that’s beer garden attire. This is my preference but I wouldn’t judge people in it, unless they didn’t repair their pitch marks or rake bunkers!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
In these supposed enlightened days what I find frustrating is the lack of colour choice in men's trousers (Loudmouth et al aside). The palette seems to be pretty much limited to black, grey, navy blue or beige, not to say that there's anything wrong with beige.

But where are the more vibrant colours? And why don't we see those exciting checks and stripes etc as worn by the greats in the seventies and eighties?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
In these supposed enlightened days what I find frustrating is the lack of colour choice in men's trousers (Loudmouth et al aside). The palette seems to be pretty much limited to black, grey, navy blue or beige, not to say that there's anything wrong with beige.

But where are the more vibrant colours? And why don't we see those exciting checks and stripes etc as worn by the greats in the seventies and eighties?
Here you go