Acceptable golf course attire.

Boomy

Visit site
I'm very much a traditionalist in terms of my golfing attire but I am also realistic enough to realise that to get people engaged in golf they won't want to buy all the attire and want to try the game in jeans and trainers. Obviously once they join a club somewhere down the line they would need to adhere to the stipulated dress code

Which is absolutely fine, people can do just that on a pay & play municipal? to give it a go - or maybe try golf up at a driving range where there isn’t a dress code? Or maybe a 9 hole course? (Which is where I started as a junior, a 9 hole muni with no dress code) And if they’re really keen to try at a higher standard of club/or dress code club you could probably (quite easily I’d say) pick up suitable clothing to wear cost effectively - polo shirt & trousers out of Asda/Tesco/Or discounter £15, golf shoes new around £25/30 (or pick up a pair off eBay) It doesn’t have to be designer or branded to be smart.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I firmly believe there should be basic standards of dress code - at a minimum golf specific designed clothing - led by the example of the pro’s on TV (the majority anyway) Otherwise you’d end up with folk in rainbow bermuda shorts, vests, flip flops or even worse crocs… Tapered trousers, tailored shorts, hoodies, collared tops, sweaters, gilets… and the list goes on - there is more choice than ever nowadays and there are plenty of options to personalise your look, whilst conforming to a basic, but presentable dress code.
Why is that a problem for you though? :LOL: Aren't you just there to play golf? What does it matter what people are wearing?

I say the same thing every time this topic comes up, but personally I cannot understand why you shouldn't able to wear sports clothing to play. The difference between a running top and a golf polo these days is literally just the extra flap of material that makes up the collar. Jogging bottoms would be ideal in winter for freedom of movement plus warmth. It makes no logical sense to ban these sort of clothes, other than some century old 'tradition' that was probably designed to keep poor people off the course.

Things like jeans are impractical for golf to my mind, but if somebody wants to wear them, then who really cares? Not that much different to chinos. Let them crack on, no skin off my nose.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Which is absolutely fine, people can do just that on a pay & play municipal? to give it a go - or maybe try golf up at a driving range where there isn’t a dress code? Or maybe a 9 hole course? (Which is where I started as a junior, a 9 hole muni with no dress code) And if they’re really keen to try at a higher standard of club/or dress code club you could probably (quite easily I’d say) pick up suitable clothing to wear cost effectively - polo shirt & trousers out of Asda/Tesco/Or discounter £15, golf shoes new around £25/30 (or pick up a pair off eBay) It doesn’t have to be designer or branded to be smart.

Totally agree. I would suggest shoes would be the biggest outlay but dress code shouldn't be a prohibitor of golfing and as you say plenty of places where you can get a feel for the game at the range or a nine holer/muni. When I started in 76 as a junior, it was ties and jacket after 7.00pm and juniors couldn't use the bar and were consigned to the snooker room and if the members were having a frame or two we were shunted into the locker room. We were expected to change out of our golfing attire even if we were to sit in the locker room. Glad to see we have moved on since then

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
'Minimum' dress standards are either :
a) nothing but pure snobbery and about exclusion : either the exclusion of those who might wear a football shirt and cargo shorts, or as a second best, disguising those who would and so highlight their 'undesirability' by obliging them to conform.
b) commercial. Snobbery has value. Some clubs would devalue their brand to members and the outside world for whom image and snobbery is important, to their financial cost. And so are unwilling to allow sartorial freedom of choice as a calculated part of maintaining a certain image and brand value.

There is just no serious defence on acceptable course attire restriction any more. Its a relic of the past.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I've discovered that Caribbean guayabera shirts are more cofortable for me than polos in the summer.
I still patronize our professional's shop for club logo polos, but I wear them off course.

Guayabera shirts are not tucked in, of course, but since they're square-bottomed and very obviously made to wear untucked, nobody objects to them.

Here's the advantage. I have suspender buttons sewn onto my golf trousers, and can wear the braces under the guayabera. (Can't do that with tucked in polo shirts.)
Then I'm not tugging at my trousers all day. I'm convinced not having to do that is good for a couple of strokes over eighteen holes.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
There is just no serious defence on acceptable course attire restriction any more.
There is just no serious defence on acceptable football pitch attire restriction any more, players should be able to wear what they want, jeans, chinos, golf shirts, variety of colours

Boomy

Visit site
Why is that a problem for you though? :LOL: Aren't you just there to play golf? What does it matter what people are wearing?

I say the same thing every time this topic comes up, but personally I cannot understand why you shouldn't able to wear sports clothing to play. The difference between a running top and a golf polo these days is literally just the extra flap of material that makes up the collar. Jogging bottoms would be ideal in winter for freedom of movement plus warmth. It makes no logical sense to ban these sort of clothes, other than some century old 'tradition' that was probably designed to keep poor people off the course.

Things like jeans are impractical for golf to my mind, but if somebody wants to wear them, then who really cares? Not that much different to chinos. Let them crack on, no skin off my nose.

Crocs are nasty that’s why ?

To turn that around what is your problem with looking smart and following a dress code? Modern golf clothing is comfortable, warm and looks smart?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I guess that I'm still old fashioned enough to like dress codes at a private club.
Perhaps it helps that I loathe denim.
I've not owned a pair of jeans as an adult.
I prefer casual trousers made in the material of which khakis are made although I buy them in all colors, not just khaki.
Jeans, from my view, are ok for a rodeo.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
There is just no serious defence on acceptable football pitch attire restriction any more, players should be able to wear what they want, jeans, chinos, golf shirts, variety of colours

Totally agree, in amateur football leagues it's whatever with bibs. Played a round in tracksuit trousers today at a top 100 course. Finished in just over 3 hours, beers and port in the way round and got a nice little cut.

Who cares?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I first joined a club in 1992. Even then we always showered and changed after the round before going in the bar. Now that is unusual… unless the weather is bad and a change is needed.

As said by Backsticks I can’t find any logical defence for maintenance of dress codes, apart from the soles on shoes….

BUT… how hard is it to get a pair of strides and a polo shirt? Most sports have “kit”…

I must be old school, I won’t go near the course in the morning without shaving.:ROFLMAO:

Maybe the objections on both sides of the argument lack logic?:)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Totally agree, in amateur football leagues it's whatever with bibs. Played a round in tracksuit trousers today at a top 100 course. Finished in just over 3 hours, beers and port in the way round and got a nice little cut.

Who cares?
You managed a round in 3 hrs on a top 109 course?
Which one…that’s unheard of, surely

D

Deleted member 15344

Who cares?

Tracksuit bottoms at a Top 100 course ? Interesting to know which course and was it under waterproofs ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don’t get why I was pulled three years ago for not having knee length golf socks on with my shorts even though they were foot joy ankle socks which I purchased from their pro shop ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I don’t get why I was pulled three years ago for not having knee length golf socks on with my shorts even though they were foot joy ankle socks which I purchased from their pro shop ?
As I say, snobbery, is why. Some people think ankle socks are only for full length trousers, and that ankle length socks with shorts shows that you are poor. Not what they want to see on their course.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Tracksuit bottoms at a Top 100 course ? Interesting to know which course and was it under waterproofs ?

When we played Woodhall Spa earlier this year. We followed a strange 4 ball. There was 2 older chaps and two younger people. There was one who looked like lord of the manor. He was wearing a wax jacket, trousers with pockets on the outside and dealer boots. The others were wearing various kagools, wax jackets and one had wellies, although that person was not playing. None of them were anywhere near the stipulated handicap limit and took forever to get round.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I say, snobbery, is why. Some people think ankle socks are only for full length trousers, and that ankle length socks with shorts shows that you are poor. Not what they want to see on their course.

But they were totally happy to sell them ??.

I said no problem can I exchange for a knee high pair as I started unlacing my shoes…. Needless to say I played in footjoy ankle socks that’s day.

I wouldn’t have minded if when paying for my greenfee and socks I was told.

Boomy

Visit site
I first joined a club in 1992. Even then we always showered and changed after the round before going in the bar. Now that is unusual… unless the weather is bad and a change is needed.

As said by Backsticks I can’t find any logical defence for maintenance of dress codes, apart from the soles on shoes….

BUT… how hard is it to get a pair of strides and a polo shirt? Most sports have “kit”…

I must be old school, I won’t go near the course in the morning without shaving.:ROFLMAO:

Maybe the objections on both sides of the argument lack logic?:)

You see, it’s exactly that Ian the majority of sports have a “kit” which in my mind is all that applies to golf - basic standards.

I don’t agree with all the old fashioned stuffy dress rules which a lot of the “top flight” clubs still enforce i.e knee length socks, specific colour socks (which half the time can’t be seen anyway) tie & jacket in the bar, no shorts or whatever else.

But basic guidance to look smart, and represent your sport/club.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
Fashions change and what is acceptable to new generations will change (for better or for worse), eventually whether prior generations like it or not. Normal business attire has shifted from 3 piece suits to 2 piece suits to casual Fridays to smart casual every day (within reason).

My understanding is that visible tattoos were once not allowed in the military, but rules have been relaxed since public attitudes have moved on ? If the Army can change, I'm sure golf can't be too many decades behind.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
On a football pitch there is in many cases. It is not comparable with golf. Golf is played in essentially the standard clothing of the day. Like James Braid in his tie. Football is an athletic sport requiring specific clothing adapted to its exertions, requires team identification, and in the professional sphere, brand control are essential to its commercial interests. These do not apply to the amateur golfing world. In many causal amateur games people do indeed play them in jeans or whatever casual street ware is their choice.