Acceptable golf course attire.

Pjwgov

Hacker
Visit site
General thoughts on what is acceptable to wear on a golf course. If it is sold by golf retailer is it OK? I personally have changed my thoughts as some of the more modern clothes are really quite nice.

D

Deleted member 15344

General thoughts on what is acceptable to wear on a golf course. If it is sold by golf retailer is it OK? I personally have changed my thoughts as some of the more modern clothes are really quite nice.
Clean
Presentable no rips or tears
Mainly manufactured by a golf company
Within the dress code of the course you are playing

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our rule is if it is sold in a golf shop then it acceptable on the course.

Apart from that it is the normal no jeans, golf shoes required, no tee shirts, no football clobber etc. We do have quite a list but a lot of it gets ignored these days particularly on the pay and play course.

Just check with the club that you intend to play at.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Even at my ripe old age I have no issues with hoodie wearers. I remember about 10 to 15 years ago turning up in some black and white golf shoes to be told by someone that he found them "offensive " , I hope he's not still playing these days!

Reactions: SyR
D

Deleted member 15344

Should be whatever you want to wear.

I still find it hard to believe that grown ups take so much interest and offence at what other people wandering around the same field as them wear.

There are not many sports or even establishments where you “can wear whatever you want”

There will always be some sort of minimum requirement

But as with anything there will always be the choice and somewhere for people who want to wear a more relaxed attire

Not one person is forced to go to any single golf club or indeed any establishment where there are a list of requirements

As always the minimum will always be to respect the rules and wishes of anywhere you are visiting.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Standards have slipped everywhere, and I blame the Americans and their 'sports' attire being appropriate for a gentleman playing golf.
Anyone not wearing a jacket and tie when presenting on the first tee should be pointed towards the gate.

View attachment 40650
WHy do you jump from gentleman to anyone not wearing a jacket and tie. What about women.
1642359805675.png1642359805675.png

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Depends on the club. Many are progressive and are letting dress codes relax to try and get more people involved in golf. However some are still very traditional. Always worth checking before you turn up

Boomy

Visit site
I firmly believe there should be basic standards of dress code - at a minimum golf specific designed clothing - led by the example of the pro’s on TV (the majority anyway) Otherwise you’d end up with folk in rainbow bermuda shorts, vests, flip flops or even worse crocs… Tapered trousers, tailored shorts, hoodies, collared tops, sweaters, gilets… and the list goes on - there is more choice than ever nowadays and there are plenty of options to personalise your look, whilst conforming to a basic, but presentable dress code.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I firmly believe there should be basic standards of dress code - at a minimum golf specific designed clothing - led by the example of the pro’s on TV (the majority anyway) Otherwise you’d end up with folk in rainbow bermuda shorts, vests, flip flops or even worse crocs… Tapered trousers, tailored shorts, hoodies, collared tops, sweaters, gilets… and the list goes on - there is more choice than ever nowadays and there are plenty of options to personalise your look, whilst conforming to a basic, but presentable dress code.

I'm very much a traditionalist in terms of my golfing attire but I am also realistic enough to realise that to get people engaged in golf they won't want to buy all the attire and want to try the game in jeans and trainers. Obviously once they join a club somewhere down the line they would need to adhere to the stipulated dress code

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
At our place no jeans/football shirts on the course. Jeans fine in the clubhouse (this was changed a few years back). I think golf hoodies would be ok but haven’t seen one on the course yet, I quite like them.

Similar to our club, although you don’t see jeans in the clubhouse very often. I’ve not yet seen anyone with a hood dangling from their jumper (?) but I assume they are allowed.

Golf clothing evolves. Tweed jackets long gone, I used to wear corduroy trousers in the winter, the modern stuff is warmer and a fraction of the weight.

You can by stuff that’ll be acceptable anywhere off somewhere like County Golf for less than the price of a Franchise FC footy shirt…so it’s not about being posh!

The modern stuff is very good…

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Standards have slipped everywhere, and I blame the Americans and their 'sports' attire being appropriate for a gentleman playing golf.
Anyone not wearing a jacket and tie when presenting on the first tee should be pointed towards the gate.

View attachment 40650

Carrying everything you need in your pockets is not acceptable where I play - you must have a bag.