Acceptable golf course attire.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Did they not mind or did they just not say anything? I'll bet some people were moaning in the bar and for a long time afterwards :LOL::LOL:

Well given he was chatting to the pro for about 10 mins and seemed to know everybody it certainly seemed like he was a well known regular haha but yeah you may be right!

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
In the winter everyones wrapped up so its no big deal, but summer time when I am may be at home in shorts and T shirt and a friend buzzes seeing if I fancy 9 holes and a pint in the evening. I then have to change into golf specific attire which is a real shame and not especially environmentally friendly either.
It's an area that golf does let itself down, i'd bet that if you removed all dress codes little would change, your course wouldnt suddenly be invaded by flip flop wearing chavs.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Standards have slipped everywhere, and I blame the Americans and their 'sports' attire being appropriate for a gentleman playing golf.
Anyone not wearing a jacket and tie when presenting on the first tee should be pointed towards the gate.

View attachment 40650
I have some great photos of my grandad in that gear. Love the hob nailed boots.
Another of his cousin [a former Scottish Amateur champion] posing with the cup like a 1920's matinee idol, big peaky blinders cap and a fag hanging out of the corner of his mouth.

D

Deleted member 3432

Well given he was chatting to the pro for about 10 mins and seemed to know everybody it certainly seemed like he was a well known regular haha but yeah you may be right!

We have a few dog walking golfers, most of them only play a few holes as a single and then wander off the course.

If the Pro was happy then all is good ?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Of course it is, it’s irrelevant who sells what etc if the Course stops you wearing it on their Course, ie, Wearside and hoodies, I might think they are terrific, really comfortable to play Golf in, but Wearside don’t, or ankle socks at another Course that insists on knee length.
Plenty of those stories around.
I think the question was "What SHOULD be acceptable on the course" The case you mention, the banning of hoodies, was clearly ludicrous & just reflected how out of touch some, presumably older, committee members are.

D

Deleted member 23270

Our course thankfully has no dress code as such and tbh, someone in a modern cut tracksuit bottoms with a well fitted sports top looks far smarter than the bloke who turns up in some faded old chinos with a jumper with half his breakfast spilled down the front.
Thing is though, in 50 years time the same guy will be wearing faded trackie bottoms with half his breakfast spilled down them ;)

D

Deleted member 29109

Why would they ? They are just coloured polo shirts - can’t see any club having an issues with them

So why then, would there be any problem if there was a football club badge on them?

Why is the top shirt acceptable attire but the bottom one isn’t?

C4533D5C-7FD8-4F21-A8FB-94BF9036AD16.png08090A07-8DEA-47DD-B713-AFB8F2D68B96.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

So why then, would there be any problem if there was a football club badge on them?

Do you mean if it’s a polo with a football badge or an actual football shirt ?

I’m guessing some clubs don’t feel it’s appropriate to wear whilst playing their golf course

Football shirts are normally worn when watching a football match or playing football

Just like rugby shirts , cricket shirts , hockey shirts - I guess the list is endless

Specific tops for each sport

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I actually quite like the top one.

As a youngster, having to dress "smart" for golf never put me off, I actually quite liked it. I have jogging bottoms that I would wear to the range, but I wouldn't ever consider wearing them to the course. Are on course dress codes that hard to adhere to anyway? Some clubs have a bit of an outdated view on what can be worn in the clubhouse but that is their right. If you want to go and play those (generally more exclusive) clubs, then respect their rules and stick to the code.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think the question was "What SHOULD be acceptable on the course" The case you mention, the banning of hoodies, was clearly ludicrous & just reflected how out of touch some, presumably older, committee members are.
I think you need to read post #1:)

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Tracksuit bottoms at a Top 100 course ? Interesting to know which course and was it under waterproofs ?

Well it's a top 50 in England, You came down to our invitational day in summer! No waterproofs.

I did get my tailored shorts out of my locker for the bar afterwards, but far too cold to wear them on the course. I got round quickly, fixed all my pitch marks and played well. I didn't come within 50 metres of anyone not in my group whilst playing.

sunshine

Visit site
I've discovered that Caribbean guayabera shirts are more cofortable for me than polos in the summer.
I still patronize our professional's shop for club logo polos, but I wear them off course.

Guayabera shirts are not tucked in, of course, but since they're square-bottomed and very obviously made to wear untucked, nobody objects to them.

Here's the advantage. I have suspender buttons sewn onto my golf trousers, and can wear the braces under the guayabera. (Can't do that with tucked in polo shirts.)
Then I'm not tugging at my trousers all day. I'm convinced not having to do that is good for a couple of strokes over eighteen holes.

Nice. But in the UK, suspenders mean something else. You would cause quite a stir on the first tee in your finest suspenders :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site

Why is the top shirt acceptable attire but the bottom one isn’t?

View attachment 40664View attachment 40665

This is a great idea. Love it (and the England 1990 away was a great kit).

I bought the Netherlands away kit recently, I'll be wearing it out on the course this summer and I doubt anyone will notice (although it contravenes the dress code).

nike-netherlands-2020-home-away-kits-9.jpg

sunshine

Visit site
Tracksuit bottoms at a Top 100 course ? Interesting to know which course and was it under waterproofs ?

I saw a guy wearing tight fitting jogging bottoms at Berkhamsted recently, the type you might wear for football training. They looked ideal for winter golf: warm, comfortable, the tight fit would stop the bottoms getting muddy. I need to get a pair.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I still don't know why Golf is scared of black socks with shorts, tee shirts, cargo shorts or anything else for that matter..
What does Golf think is going to happen to the fabric of society if someone dares to wear these ....things on a golf course.?
And as for having your shirt untucked.........
Clubs can make whatever rules they like..we know that..
With what clothes people wear - why does it matter...?
My God! If all these happened, the fabric of society would ineed unravel quicker than a knock-off Nike top from your local market.