Acceptable golf course attire.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
It's always hard to compare with other sports, as quite often attire or kit is part and parcel of either safety or team association. Golf equipment is one thing and should be compliant; golf attire is another, and minimum standards are subjective. Surely the purpose and the clothing rules should be related to the activity and not based on a perceived image? And golf is totally at the mercy of changing weather. Hot. Cold. Windy. Soft conditions. Baked fairways. Rain. Storms. Hail etc. I can totally see a golf related argument for footwear and your golf glove. It's more difficult to see it for particular clothing types - I can swing equally well in shell-suit bottoms as jeans as chinos. The difference is someone's perception of my character and my station in life..... which seems ludicrous in the current times. But I get it, it's a slippery slope, next thing you know we'll have women joining clubs!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I saw a guy wearing tight fitting jogging bottoms at Berkhamsted recently, the type you might wear for football training. They looked ideal for winter golf: warm, comfortable, the tight fit would stop the bottoms getting muddy. I need to get a pair.

There are golf trousers and indeed golf type leggings

- I have the Frostguard adidas versions tapered at the bottom , sit on top of the shoes

We have a member who wears them and some pros wear them

They are a type of golf trousers ?‍♂️

sunshine

Visit site
With the increase in health and safety, I'm surprised nobody is advocating for helmets to be worn on the golf course, especially as the pro's no longer shout fore and that is filtering down to the amateur game. Or at the very least, hi-vis tops should be mandatory. When someone says they didn't shout fore because they couldn't see you, wearing a high-vis top is surely going to help your legal case when seeking damages.

sunshine

Visit site
There are golf trousers and indeed golf type leggings

- I have the Frostguard adidas versions tapered at the bottom , sit on top of the shoes

We have a member who wears them and some pros wear them

They are a type of golf trousers ?‍♂️

These weren't golf joggers / trousers, they were much more fitted, almost leggings.

Also, it seems ok for women golfers to wear leggings... let's open up another debate ;)

RichA

Visit site
Only you'd look like a muppet in the process. :LOL:
Like I said, same effect.
No offence meant. Always hated elasticated jogging bottoms. The grey ones have replaced jeans with the waistband slung below the buttocks as "prison chic" with the yoof of London.
My usual pp wears them. I'm not a fan. I like to let him know.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I get dressed to play golf I ask myself

Do I want to look like Henrik Stenson or the pisshead in the corner at Weatherspoons?
I could be dressedd head to toe in Hugo Boss as per Henrik and I still wouldn't look anything like him :LOL:. That is a high bar you are setting there.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With the increase in health and safety, I'm surprised nobody is advocating for helmets to be worn on the golf course, especially as the pro's no longer shout fore and that is filtering down to the amateur game. Or at the very least, hi-vis tops should be mandatory. When someone says they didn't shout fore because they couldn't see you, wearing a high-vis top is surely going to help your legal case when seeking damages.
I wear a plastic helmet from a work bump cap on the inside of my cap.
I was knocked out by a ball couple of years ago.
Won’t play without it now, he didn’t shout fore.
Some of the t shirts I have seen are not far off hi viz.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I simply put some thermal leggings on under my golf trousers and tuck them into my socks. As I also have a pair of sealskinz waterproof socks they look ordinary socks and I don;'t look "special" with my socks tucked in. As a middle aged man any of these trendy jogger types trousers aren't for me so I'll stay traditional and adhere to common golfing attire

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

These look decent enough...even as a 58 year git like me. Not sure about no socks in Wales as its mostly too blooming cold...

Modern stuff like that can look fine. As said above, some folk could be dressed head to toe in Hugo Boss and still get offered a quid for a cup of tea!! :)