A touch confused about CSS

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Played in the monthly medal on Sunday and finished 2nd overall with a net 68 (Par 71). However, the CSS was 68 apparently so I didn't even get a .3 cut. I'm a little confused as to how the CSS could be 68 as I came second with a 68 and 1st was a 67, there were a couple of 69's then everything else with 70+.

Surely I should have gotten at least a .3 for shooting 3 under my handicap?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
CSS is based on SSS and can move 1 shot lower or 3 shots higher (after which it becomes Reduction Only) depending on the scores on the day.

It is not based on Par You didn't shoot 3 under your handicap, simply 3 under Par (nett). You shot 1 under your 'standard' handicap, which was adjusted for conditions on the day to be exactly your handicap! Well played though!

When the competition is closed, the scores are assessed to find the percentage that are within buffer. If more than 'normal' range, then the CSS will go down.

CSS is explained from page 35 in this document http://www.englandgolf.org/e-brochure/index.html

The calculation is in Appendix B.

Couldn't locate the percentages, but they'll be in there somewhere. I did see that if 26-49% are in buffer, then CSS = SSS.

Note that it doesn't matter if no-one actually beats SSS/CSS, nor by how much any individual beats. It's a percentage of entire field!

SSS is a 'standardised' number that equates all courses across UK. Primarily based on distance, with an adjustment for hazards etc. The idea being that a Scratch, 5, 10,15 or 20 handicap at one course will equate to the same handicap at any other. Works quite well imo, but I've always found that Scottish handicaps 'travel' rather well - probably because of the variety of conditions they experience.

Last edited: