Handicap Adjustment... what would you expect a handicap secretary to do (if anything)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would they still not be required. After all, players still don't submit any of their match play, team events and social rounds (unless supplementary), same as now.

I guess, in terms of declining players, their handicap will go up quicker with WHS? However, if a player all of a sudden gets much better and starts to rapidly improve, will their handicap fall as quickly as it would now, or could it take some time for the average of the best 8 to gradually fall?

It's moved to 8 / 20 for a reason; and that it's a closer match to the existing CONGU alogirythm probably isn't a co-incidence 🤔
Whilst there will be cases where the moves are significantly different in the short term, fundamentally they will pretty much match (I used to run mine on the USGA Rules as well as CONGU and up was quicker and further when form dropped but the rest stayed pretty much inline).

There are a number of checks and balances being built in to the WHS implementation that will require HC authority to manage, override etc as well as the existing issues that ARs are there to remind the committee about. There should be less requirement for increases outside the system, but fundamentally it's the same cards being fed in as currently - so scope for the consideration of other performances must remain.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyway folks - the upshot is...

e-mail from handicap secretary yesterday advising of -1.0 handicap adjustment, down to 17.9.

Also wording suggests this was pretty much an automated decision;

'This has been based on our computer algorithm calculation for your scores submitted in the calendar year 2019, and agreed by the Handicap Team.'

Anyway - pleased with that given I was at 24.0 this time last year and having not played for a while, was struggling to break 100 round a decent track.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyway folks - the upshot is...

e-mail from handicap secretary yesterday advising of -1.0 handicap adjustment, down to 17.9.

Also wording suggests this was pretty much an automated decision;

'This has been based on our computer algorithm calculation for your scores submitted in the calendar year 2019, and agreed by the Handicap Team.'

Anyway - pleased with that given I was at 24.0 this time last year and having not played for a while, was struggling to break 100 round a decent track.
This wording strongly suggests that they have done the AR rather than made a general play adjustment (same principle but, as many commented, it's the triggering of the process that is different).

Maybe you can advise if this is the case?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
This wording strongly suggests that they have done the AR rather than made a general play adjustment (same principle but, as many commented, it's the triggering of the process that is different).

Maybe you can advise if this is the case?

Yes - annual review mentioned. So more of a routine event.