Handicap Adjustment... what would you expect a handicap secretary to do (if anything)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Wondering what you would expect to happen here from a handicap secretary point of view...

This time last year I got my 3 cards in and got my handicap back. Been 17 in 2015 and crept up to 19 when handicap lapsed at end of 2016.
3 cards went in with 24.0 being given to me.

My recorded scores this year have been...
101 -24 (77) (buffer)
89 -24 (65) (supplementary)
90 -22 (68)
37 points (buffer)
NR (buffer)
33 points (buffer)
90 -22 (68)
NR (buffer)
90 -21 (69)
NR (adjusted 0.1)
90 -21 (69)

It's a Par 70, SSS 70 and most times the CSS has been 70, but the final score 90 -21, the CSS was 73 due to high winds and I finished 1st, reducing handicap to 18.9.

Additionally I paired up to win a 4ball bball KO competition.

So basically out of 11 rounds, I've been cut 5 times, and buffered 5, only going up 0.1 once.

I'd guess there's a case for a cut based on general play - but unsure at what point a handicap secretary would expect to enforce it.
Also whether a pairs matchplay result would be taken into account.

To summarise my play, it is generally bogeys, with a few pars and then I'll throw an 8 in there to throw away chances of getting right into the 80s.

I know I could ask him, and I would be happy to get a cut, but if given the option I'd rather get the cut by having a good competition day, so I'm not going to go and chase him up .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe at end of year review? I got that after my first year (end of 2017). I think I buffered in 5 of the last 6 comps I entered, then got cut 1.0 in the end of year review.

Swango1980

Visit site
I guess it depends on the handicap secretary, but they can invoke a General Play Adjustment if they feel it is necessary. Given the scores you have listed, and your previous playing handicap, there could be little argument if they did apply some sort of downward adjustment. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if the computer flagged you as a candidate for a handicap cut. Perhaps they'll wait until then, given now that the main season is, or almost behind us.

In my opinion, you've already been cut from 24.0 to 18.9, so I would probably leave it until the annual review if I was the handicap secretary. In terms of the player, I never recommend them offering to take a handicap cut, just play comps and let the system do its thing, or the handicap secretary do their thing. If I was handicap secretary, I may be more inclined to intervene if you were playing and doing well in a lot of non-qualifying type competitions. But, if you are playing qualifiers, then at least you are not "hiding" from the system.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect you were overcapped when you put the 3 cards in. But given the cuts you've already had I don't see a real justification for doing anything now.
As others have suggested, I would wait for the Annual Review.

But you'll get a new handicap in November next year anyway. ;)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I guess it depends on the handicap secretary, but they can invoke a General Play Adjustment if they feel it is necessary. Given the scores you have listed, and your previous playing handicap, there could be little argument if they did apply some sort of downward adjustment. If not, I wouldn't be surprised if the computer flagged you as a candidate for a handicap cut. Perhaps they'll wait until then, given now that the main season is, or almost behind us.

In my opinion, you've already been cut from 24.0 to 18.9, so I would probably leave it until the annual review if I was the handicap secretary. In terms of the player, I never recommend them offering to take a handicap cut, just play comps and let the system do its thing, or the handicap secretary do their thing. If I was handicap secretary, I may be more inclined to intervene if you were playing and doing well in a lot of non-qualifying type competitions. But, if you are playing qualifiers, then at least you are not "hiding" from the system.

Makes sense. I guess if I'd won or got to the final in singles matchplay events, while only playing 3 or 4 strokeplay rounds, then the annual review would be more important. But as you say... 11 qualifying comps is a decent number.

Pretty frustrating not to turn one of those 90s into an 85 and get cut 3.5 or 4 shots in the one go.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I suspect you were overcapped when you put the 3 cards in. But given the cuts you've already had I don't see a real justification for doing anything now.
As others have suggested, I would wait for the Annual Review.

But you'll get a new handicap in November next year anyway. ;)

Possibly overcapped, but my 3 cards were basically 2 disasters and 1 round of bogey golf (with a lost ball). So I guess it was fair enough at the time.

I have certainly improved throughout the year and really properly sad the season is over.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going back to your position when you put in those 3 cards, your handicap couldn't have lapsed: you had a CONGU handicap of 19 which, at most had lost competition status. By submitting these scores you restored the competition status and they should just have been added to your handicap record. From what you say about disasters, each of two of them would have added 0.1 to your exact handicap. On 19, your bogey round would have been in the buffer zone. Consequently your exact handicap of 19 point something would have gone up by 0.2. At most, had your exact handicap been 19.3 or 19.4, your playing handicap would have been 20. While the Committee should have taken the intervening period into account and perhaps adjusted upwards, I don't see where the 24 came from.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going back to your position when you put in those 3 cards, your handicap couldn't have lapsed: you had a CONGU handicap of 19 which, at most had lost competition status. By submitting these scores you restored the competition status and they should just have been added to your handicap record. From what you say about disasters, each of two of them would have added 0.1 to your exact handicap. On 19, your bogey round would have been in the buffer zone. Consequently your exact handicap of 19 point something would have gone up by 0.2. At most, had your exact handicap been 19.3 or 19.4, your playing handicap would have been 20. While the Committee should have taken the intervening period into account and perhaps adjusted upwards, I don't see where the 24 came from.

Well spotted and well explained. I am always a bit uneasy on the occasions when the words "Handicap Secretary" are used - and there are many such occasions. CONGU recognises that an individual should not be making such decisions on his own without any checks. That is why CONGU states that there should be a Handicap Committee with a minimum of 3 members.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Before restoring competition handicap status the Handicap Committee is required to carry out a handicap review, it may have come from that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re OP - the club is required to carry out an annual review before 31st March 2020, it is initiated from a computer report and you may well be on it.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if the annual review recommends a shot off,
AT LEAST!!. If you can play to your H/cap on 10 out 11 occasions then you are on the wrong H/cap. Should only be doing that 33% of the time. That & the fact it appears you started on an inappropriate H/cap. One or 2 shot cut at AR I'd think.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Colin
It is possible at that time (Ii can't remember the date) the CDH was not protecting deleted records.

Grant85
Were you allocated a new CDH ID with your three cards?
If so and the the above was not the case, you should not have been. If you have been given a new ID, the whole situation can be corrected.
If not, it would be interesting to know just how the handicap sec entered your 3 scores

Edit: Just spotted you are in Scotland. Belay the point re deleted CDH nos. I don't know what the SGU policy is or was. I'm sure Colin will know

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Folks,

I had a handicap that was active in the 2016 season. No play at all in 2017.
Put my 3 cards in September 2018.
I'm fairly sure the rules are you can't just reinstate that handicap, you need to put a fresh 3 cards in if you go a full season without 54 holes.

I did advise the club of my most recent handicap, however my understanding is they just ran my 3 cards through the computer to get to 24.0. I'd imagine if I'd said my most recent handicap was 7 a few years ago... they might have made an adjustment... but 19.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
AT LEAST!!. If you can play to your H/cap on 10 out 11 occasions then you are on the wrong H/cap. Should only be doing that 33% of the time. That & the fact it appears you started on an inappropriate H/cap. One or 2 shot cut at AR I'd think.

That was my thinking... obviously none of my scores really reflect that I can play to much lower than my current handicap. But really you should not be playing under or close to handicap so often.

D

Deleted member 15344

Folks,

I had a handicap that was active in the 2016 season. No play at all in 2017.
Put my 3 cards in September 2018.
I'm fairly sure the rules are you can't just reinstate that handicap, you need to put a fresh 3 cards in if you go a full season without 54 holes.

I did advise the club of my most recent handicap, however my understanding is they just ran my 3 cards through the computer to get to 24.0. I'd imagine if I'd said my most recent handicap was 7 a few years ago... they might have made an adjustment... but 19.

You can “reinstate” your handicap

If you don’t play comp golf for 12 months then your handicap just becomes “non competitive” - you then need to enter three rounds or 54 hole combinations for the handicap to regain its “competitive” status

you don’t get to put three cards in and get a brand new handicap -

Your three cards should have just been 3 .1’s added to your handicap

Your HC section did your handicap wrong

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You can “reinstate” your handicap

If you don’t play comp golf for 12 months then your handicap just becomes “non competitive” - you then need to enter three rounds or 54 hole combinations for the handicap to regain its “competitive” status

you don’t get to put three cards in and get a brand new handicap -

Your three cards should have just been 3 .1’s added to your handicap

Your HC section did your handicap wrong

Wasn't aware of that at all. But perhaps this is practice in England and not in Scotland?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
CONGU

26.2 When restoring a handicap which has been lost or suspended for more than twelve months the Handicap Committee, in addition to proceeding as required by Clause 16, must give due and full consideration to the handicap the player last held.

16.1 A handicap can be allotted only to a Member of an Affiliated Club after full consideration of his previous playing history, including any handicap held previously at any other club or under another handicap system