Boiler dramas. @ anyone that knows anything about boilers.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems a bit ott?

We do a lot of work on boilers, wiring them up, changing pumps etc, we are not “Gas Safe” but we have no problem at all with various councils/local authorities. We obviously avoid the gassy bits 😁
OTT? maybe
But it's down to responsibility. Just because I haven't broken into the gas system doesn't absolve me of blame if there is an unknown gas leak on something on that system. It's a very grey area, and one I would rather not get dragged into.
If your public liability covers you for that then thats fine, but mine doesn't anyway (mainly because I said I didn't touch anything with gas). :)

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit late to the party on this one but here's my thoughts based on what you have related anyway.

From how you have described it I wouldn't consider your line manager directing you towards 'X' as a recommendation, had he said "'X' has done work for me (or the company) and did a good job" (maybe he did put it like that?) then that would be a recommendation.

Whether or not 'X' is Gas Safe registered he is permitted to work on the water side of a heating system, provided he does not work on the gas or flue systems. It does appear that fault finding is not his strength though, that's not uncommon, we have several excellent heating installers who, while being very experienced installers producing high standards of workmanship, are not very good at diagnosing system faults. Lack of understanding of the technicalities of a sealed system is very common amongst installers. You had noticed water discharging from the PRV which can be one of the indicators of an expansion problem, not that I am suggesting you should have known that.

From what you are describing I am struggling to see the unsafe/dangerous element and the second guy appears to be on a bit of a mission. You could argue I suppose that with a faulty expansion vessel and the PRV having been 'fiddled with' that there was a risk of pipe joint or vessel failing, but, given that water is pretty much incompressible and the relatively small volume in the system, it wouldn't be a catastrophic failure. Prosecutions for carrying out unregistered gas works is quite a hot topic within the industry, with hefty fines and even custodial sentences being handed out for repeat offenders and widely reported in the trade press. So maybe the second guy likes the thought of being associated with a prosecution!

I am also struggling to see any relevance to the payment element, to work on gas appliances you need to be Gas Safe registered, even in your own home. Similarly with electrical works, perhaps not in terms of prosecution, but house insurance will be affected if works are carried out by unqualified personnel and there is a fire caused by faulty workmanship.

Perhaps bit of bridge building is needed by way of an informal chat with your line manager (assuming it wasn't a true recommendation based on his personal knowledge of 'X's competency), just explaining that the second guy shocked and disturbed you with his comments and you were angry at the response you got from 'X' when you approached him?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Bit late to the party on this one but here's my thoughts based on what you have related anyway.

From how you have described it I wouldn't consider your line manager directing you towards 'X' as a recommendation, had he said "'X' has done work for me (or the company) and did a good job" (maybe he did put it like that?) then that would be a recommendation.

Whether or not 'X' is Gas Safe registered he is permitted to work on the water side of a heating system, provided he does not work on the gas or flue systems. It does appear that fault finding is not his strength though, that's not uncommon, we have several excellent heating installers who, while being very experienced installers producing high standards of workmanship, are not very good at diagnosing system faults. Lack of understanding of the technicalities of a sealed system is very common amongst installers. You had noticed water discharging from the PRV which can be one of the indicators of an expansion problem, not that I am suggesting you should have known that.

From what you are describing I am struggling to see the unsafe/dangerous element and the second guy appears to be on a bit of a mission. You could argue I suppose that with a faulty expansion vessel and the PRV having been 'fiddled with' that there was a risk of pipe joint or vessel failing, but, given that water is pretty much incompressible and the relatively small volume in the system, it wouldn't be a catastrophic failure. Prosecutions for carrying out unregistered gas works is quite a hot topic within the industry, with hefty fines and even custodial sentences being handed out for repeat offenders and widely reported in the trade press. So maybe the second guy likes the thought of being associated with a prosecution!

I am also struggling to see any relevance to the payment element, to work on gas appliances you need to be Gas Safe registered, even in your own home. Similarly with electrical works, perhaps not in terms of prosecution, but house insurance will be affected if works are carried out by unqualified personnel and there is a fire caused by faulty workmanship.

Perhaps bit of bridge building is needed by way of an informal chat with your line manager (assuming it wasn't a true recommendation based on his personal knowledge of 'X's competency), just explaining that the second guy shocked and disturbed you with his comments and you were angry at the response you got from 'X' when you approached him?

Brilliant reply buddy 👏

My line manager hired him as a basic plumber but saw all his qualifications in regards to his gas safe certs. Because he has seen those in person he thought him fit to fix my boiler. There’s no doubt this was his first time in putting his name forward for anything boiler related albeit within the company or outside of it.

I think what you and others have mentioned in regards to the second guy being on a mission has hit the nail on the head. The boiler was unsafe for sure and after speaking to a few people any electrical fault caused by the water leak would have tripped the power before any damage done.

Also you are right in regards to X’s responsibility had there been a payment or not. If something had gone seriously wrong there is no way I would have been responsible for the way X had carried out his work.

And you are also right in regards to the latter. As I am totally lost when it comes to the ins and outs of boilers it was definitely not nice hearing how the second guy used his words on X’s work. He left me in a position where I was seriously concerned for my families welfare. This is where things have escalated.

The relationship has now turned pretty sour between myself and line manager and not sure if that bridge can be built back to how it was. Lack of communication since has definitely made things worse as we are yet to properly iron things out. I’m currently working for a different section of our company which i’m sure is some sort of retaliation / punishment. Bit of a *** storm all round but it’s taught me a lot. Standing up for what I believed in at that time has very much blown back in my face.

Been a long old week for sure

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Brilliant reply buddy 👏

My line manager hired him as a basic plumber but saw all his qualifications in regards to his gas safe certs. Because he has seen those in person he thought him fit to fix my boiler. There’s no doubt this was his first time in putting his name forward for anything boiler related albeit within the company or outside of it.

I think what you and others have mentioned in regards to the second guy being on a mission has hit the nail on the head. The boiler was unsafe for sure and after speaking to a few people any electrical fault caused by the water leak would have tripped the power before any damage done.

Also you are right in regards to X’s responsibility had there been a payment or not. If something had gone seriously wrong there is no way I would have been responsible for the way X had carried out his work.

And you are also right in regards to the latter. As I am totally lost when it comes to the ins and outs of boilers it was definitely not nice hearing how the second guy used his words on X’s work. He left me in a position where I was seriously concerned for my families welfare. This is where things have escalated.

The relationship has now turned pretty sour between myself and line manager and not sure if that bridge can be built back to how it was. Lack of communication since has definitely made things worse as we are yet to properly iron things out. I’m currently working for a different section of our company which i’m sure is some sort of retaliation / punishment. Bit of a *** storm all round but it’s taught me a lot. Standing up for what I believed in at that time has very much blown back in my face.

Been a long old week for sure

You need a new manager.... get a new job. all problems solved

(follow me here for all relationship and career advice)..

Romantionne

Visit site
Your instinct to address this with your line manager is spot on – after all, they were the one who suggested X in the first place. Maybe approach it from a place of concern rather than blame, emphasizing the potential danger your family was exposed to. I had a similar experience once, and communication was key in ensuring future safety measures were put in place. Hang in there, and don't hesitate to seek out professional help from trusted sources, like "Boiler repair Surrey," to rectify the situation.

Last edited: