Boiler dramas. @ anyone that knows anything about boilers.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I’ll try and keep this as short as I can and not bore the death off you.

My boiler has been leaking since we came back off a 3 week holiday recently and because of this I have switched it off at the mains. While in the office at work my line manager recommended me a guy who works for us who is apparently gas safe registered. We will call him X.

X came, made his diagnosis and told me the DHW sensor had perished and this was causing the leak. He also explained that the splashes on the wall were due to the PRV value being faulty also and he made some adjustments with his spanner and tightened a few things up. So it seemed.

X explained how my boiler was SAFE to switch back on and use until I purchased the parts. As this was a priority I bought the parts the next day (Friday 10th Feb) and called him to arrange the fitting, but with no response. Around the same time my partner was calling me to let me know the boiler was now leaking worse than it has ever been. Figuring he was tied up I decided to call someone out via a nationwide boiler company and they arrived the same day.

A different guy (definitely gas safe registered) arrived and upon inspection found the cause of the leaks (burst expansion vessel in an area X never checked). He notified me that the boiler was in fact a danger to life. He brought this to my attention due to the boiler being located in my 4 year old daughters room and because it was not boxed in there was a higher risk especially to a young child who could potentially touch it with the shock being enough to threaten her life. He has written up a RIDDOR report detailing how unsafe it was and I was told not to switch it back on until it’s fixed. He asked lots of questions in regards to X and wanted his details to file a report on him. He also mentioned that the DHW sensor was nothing to do with the leaks and because X had fiddled around with the PRV this had caused more issues.

I will pull X up and have a stern word with him because at the end of the day he has put my family’s life in danger.

But the question to anyone who got this far is how do I approach my line manager in regards to this. If he was unaware of him being incompetent then surely it needs to be addressed. If it wasn’t for my line manager putting his name forward then I would have never approached X.
I would love to hear peoples thoughts on this as I feel I need to choose how to handle this situation correctly.

Thanks for reading

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You definitely need to mention it to your boss. It may be that he wasn’t aware of the problems with X but either way, if he is a decent guy he will understand. And he will hear about it soon enough if X has been reported to Gas Safe/Corgi/whoever

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it depends on your relationship with the boss and his relationship with X... Is X your Boss's Brother?

either way, what is the cost of you not telling your boss... X goes and 'fixes' another boiler, things go horribly wrong and he puts another family at risk. This is not worth it. report it.
PS: I believe it is a legal requirement to have a license if you are working on the boiler.. if he is not registered, then he is breaking you the law. By not reporting it, you are being complicit with it.. report it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A different guy (definitely gas safe registered) arrived and upon inspection found the cause of the leaks (burst expansion vessel in an area X never checked). He notified me that the boiler was in fact a danger to life. He brought this to my attention due to the boiler being located in my 4 year old daughters room and because it was not boxed in there was a higher risk especially to a young child who could potentially touch it with the shock being enough to threaten her life. He has written up a RIDDOR

It is more this that would worry me and I would attempt to find out who did the original installation. They are supposed to leave the appropriate paperwork with the boiler.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
it depends on your relationship with the boss and his relationship with X... Is X your Boss's Brother?

either way, what is the cost of you not telling your boss... X goes and 'fixes' another boiler, things go horribly wrong and he puts another family at risk. This is not worth it. report it.
PS: I believe it is a legal requirement to have a license if you are working on the boiler.. if he is not registered, then he is breaking you the law. By not reporting it, you are being complicit with it.. report it

there’s no relation. X has only been with the company a couple of months.

It is more this that would worry me and I would attempt to find out who did the original installation. They are supposed to leave the appropriate paperwork with the boiler.

Original installation would be irrelevant because the boiler has been serviced and passed off 3 times since we purchased the house 4 years ago.

The fact is the boiler was left in a state by X where ‘there was a fault which in future would constitute a danger to life’. Surely any gas safe registered engineer would leave my boiler in a safe position until it’s correctly fixed - X did the complete opposite.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The need to be "Gas Safe" is because of the gas element, and doesn't encompass the ability of the persons ability to repair a boiler.
I thought there were differing status of Gas Safe now, that covered differing aspects and a blanket Gas Safe qualification doesn't cover every gas appliance.
I may be wrong, but I remember Corgi status being sector targeted, and as both are private money making entities I can't see there being a difference in how they might run.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yes tell your boss.

Try not to worry about what could have been.

I’ve yet to meet a spark, plumber, technician, appliance repair guy or tradesman that can’t wait to tell you how bad the work of the person who was there before them is. Often with tales of how lucky you are something hasn’t exploded, set on fire or poisoned you.

Also. Never let anyone do work on things in your house that can be dangerous unless YOU personally know they are qualified to do so. If not, ask to see some kind of evidence. Yo May feel a bit of a plonker asking. But anyone you want doing the job will be happy to show your their certification.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
The need to be "Gas Safe" is because of the gas element, and doesn't encompass the ability of the persons ability to repair a boiler.

X explained that boiler repairs were his ‘bread and butter’ before joining our company. Seems a bit odd he has been recruited to the company as a basic plumber earning a substantial amount less than he would have done as a GS engineer. These certificates are not cheap to obtain either costing thousands of pounds. Raises a few flags really.

Yes tell your boss.

Try not to worry about what could have been.

I’ve yet to meet a spark, plumber, technician, appliance repair guy or tradesman that can’t wait to tell you how bad the work of the person who was there before them is. Often with tales of how lucky you are something hasn’t exploded, set on fire or poisoned you.

Also. Never let anyone do work on things in your house that can be dangerous unless YOU personally know they are qualified to do so. If not, ask to see some kind of evidence. Yo May feel a bit of a plonker asking. But anyone you want doing the job will be happy to show your their certification.

I took his word for it and the recommendation of my line manager really gave me no reason to be concerned.

And I understand what you are saying in regards to tradesman’s tales. But when it comes to boilers / gas related appliances I’ve always categorised this game as a different kettle of fish.

The engineer who did do a good job didn’t have anything to gain from explaining the dangers X had left it in. The fact he was genuinely concerned and wanted to report him was a reality check. If this engineer hadn’t explained everything X did then it would have been a waste of a call out charge.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
X explained that boiler repairs were his ‘bread and butter’ before joining our company. Seems a bit odd he has been recruited to the company as a basic plumber earning a substantial amount less than he would have done as a GS engineer. These certificates are not cheap to obtain either costing thousands of pounds. Raises a few flags really.
Gas Safe is like Corgi was, just a legal requirement to prove competency with gas for money, nothing more. Years back I used to have to maintain a Corgi registration for the service centre I worked at and all it was were an inspection of work carried out in relation to the gas system, nothing more.
They may have changed their remit now, but I haven’t heard they have.
Of course, if he hasn’t charged you anything(with receipt) then whilst he may not be a very good boiler engineer he won’t have broken the rules.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Not the best outcome with this.

Had a stern word with X. His response got my back up. He seemed to find it somewhat amusing at the report given by the engineer? As you can imagine, I told him how I felt to where he quickly departed looking a tad embarrassed.

As you can imagine at this point things got said between myself and line manager where my choice of words were probably not the best as I may of said he was at fault for putting forward X. His defensive reaction has caused a scene in the office and it was only my intention to highlight what had happened. Things get said especially when emotions are high and mine certainly were due to the response given by X. I understand the company is under a lot of pressure at present but he’s never been like that with me in the past.

The toxic atmosphere between myself and line manager will now be difficult to build back.

Not a good day.

Gas Safe is like Corgi was, just a legal requirement to prove competency with gas for money, nothing more. Years back I used to have to maintain a Corgi registration for the service centre I worked at and all it was were an inspection of work carried out in relation to the gas system, nothing more.
They may have changed their remit now, but I haven’t heard they have.
Of course, if he hasn’t charged you anything(with receipt) then whilst he may not be a very good boiler engineer he won’t have broken the rules.

If anything had happened to me or my family would the responsibility be down to myself? Or would it be down to whether or not a payment had been instructed?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not the best outcome with this.

Had a stern word with X. His response got my back up. He seemed to find it somewhat amusing at the report given by the engineer? As you can imagine, I told him how I felt to where he quickly departed looking a tad embarrassed.

As you can imagine at this point things got said between myself and line manager where my choice of words were probably not the best as I may of said he was at fault for putting forward X. His defensive reaction has caused a scene in the office and it was only my intention to highlight what had happened. Things get said especially when emotions are high and mine certainly were due to the response given by X. I understand the company is under a lot of pressure at present but he’s never been like that with me in the past.

The toxic atmosphere between myself and line manager will now be difficult to build back.

Not a good day.

If anything had happened to me or my family would the responsibility be down to myself? Or would it be down to whether or not a payment had been instructed?

Not being funny but why would you have a go at your line manager? he obviously thought the guy was legit and thought he was doing you a favour. Yes give X a bollocking but I think you have over reacted here by blaming your direct superior which could have serious consequences to you later on.

As BIMguy said its best to take what one tradesmen says about another with a pinch of salt, its a national past time to slag off the last engineer. (Electricians are the worst at this)

Might be time to start updating your CV :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I almost posted that when you tell your boss, their reaction and response will tell you a lot about them.

I don’t understand why you’ve ended up in an argument with your line manager.

Take a step back and take a deep breath. No on was hurt, get your boiler fixed and move on.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Not being funny but why would you have a go at your line manager? he obviously thought the guy was legit and thought he was doing you a favour. Yes give X a bollocking but I think you have over reacted here by blaming your direct superior which could have serious consequences to you later on.

As BIMguy said its best to take what one tradesmen says about another with a pinch of salt, its a national past time to slag off the last engineer. (Electricians are the worst at this)

Might be time to start updating your CV :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Never once did I have a go at him. As I have a half decent relationship with him, mentioned it was his fault as more of a passive aggressive tongue in cheek comment as a direct response to X reactions. Nothing malicious intended.

He flipped.

I almost posted that when you tell your boss, their reaction and response will tell you a lot about them.

I don’t understand why you’ve ended up in an argument with your line manager.

Take a step back and take a deep breath. No on was hurt, get your boiler fixed and move on.

Yeah, he lost it. It was more of a one way argument tbf as it wasn’t my intention to get his back up.

It’s obviously blown up a lot more than it should have but we will see how it pans out.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without being condecending, I think youre maybe misunderstanding what Gas Safe (and before that Corgi) are for. They were/are a registration scheme whereby anyone touching gas for a living/money has to have. It is not a statement of their ability to repair boilers or the like, only that they should know how to test a gas system and operate in a safe manner when dealing with it.
There is nothing illegal about anyone playing with a gas item within their own home, which is why you were able to purchase the items he told you to buy, or your ability to buy gas fittings and the like from DIY stores.
I think you maybe have over-reacted a little, and yes it could have been argued you were trying to circumvent the rules in the event of something very serious happening.
Put it down to experience, shake everyones hand and get your boiler sorted by someone that will give you a papertrail:)

Just to put this in context, I have done appliances for over 40 yrs now, and used to be CITB and Corgi qualified and registered. I am not registered on anything gas now, and so because to work on gas FOR MONEY registration is a legal requirement, I won't even do a set of oven door hinges on any appliance that has a gas element like a dual fuel range or the like.
This is a acknowledged as a grey area and there are some that would argue they aren't breaking the gas system so it is fine, but as I was always told "the person who touches it last is legally responsible" I will not touch anything with a gas element, and also my public liability doesn't cover me for anything with a gas element.

WGCRider

Visit site
I saw your post on the new driver thread and you said;

Fitted for a G430 SFT last night which I should hopefully be picking up in the next week. The correction it makes to my slice/fade was pretty astonishing so very happy I got fitted

Based on this I bought a G430 and it has not in fact corrected my slice. My bank details are 45-56-41 53684277 can you please just BACS me my compensation?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Without being condecending, I think youre maybe misunderstanding what Gas Safe (and before that Corgi) are for. They were/are a registration scheme whereby anyone touching gas for a living/money has to have. It is not a statement of their ability to repair boilers or the like, only that they should know how to test a gas system and operate in a safe manner when dealing with it.
There is nothing illegal about anyone playing with a gas item within their own home, which is why you were able to purchase the items he told you to buy, or your ability to buy gas fittings and the like from DIY stores.
I think you maybe have over-reacted a little, and yes it could have been argued you were trying to circumvent the rules in the event of something very serious happening.
Put it down to experience, shake everyones hand and get your boiler sorted by someone that will give you a papertrail:)

Just to put this in context, I have done appliances for over 40 yrs now, and used to be CITB and Corgi qualified and registered. I am not registered on anything gas now, and so because to work on gas FOR MONEY registration is a legal requirement, I won't even do a set of oven door hinges on any appliance that has a gas element like a dual fuel range or the like.
This is a acknowledged as a grey area and there are some that would argue they aren't breaking the gas system so it is fine, but as I was always told "the person who touches it last is legally responsible" I will not touch anything with a gas element, and also my public liability doesn't cover me for anything with a gas element.

So just to be clear, we did agree payment upon completion of works. All I had to do was buy the part which I did the next day. During this 24 period my boiler had deteriorated considerably due to severe water leakage. We aren’t just talking drips that were there to begin with through the expansion valve. My pressure would drop to zero within minutes and the room would be soaked. It’s never done this until he visited.

Because he hasn’t returned my call I’ve had to call someone out. And so it all begins. Anyone can slag anyone’s work off - like that that chippy with no bubble in his level, or a bricky who has never heard of a string line.

But let’s be hones, boilers aren’t there to be messed around with and I would never invite someone to look at it if I thought they were incompetent.

I saw your post on the new driver thread and you said;

Based on this I bought a G430 and it has not in fact corrected my slice. My bank details are 45-56-41 53684277 can you please just BACS me my compensation?

Which version of the G430 have you purchased?

I am due a refit on Friday 🤦‍♂️

Too much spin, everything going left. Left the club in my car for my board comp at the weekend.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Seems a bit ott?

We do a lot of work on boilers, wiring them up, changing pumps etc, we are not “Gas Safe” but we have no problem at all with various councils/local authorities. We obviously avoid the gassy bits 😁