A little one to work the mind on rules.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Give us more time on this. My brain is hurting but I will continue to try and work it out.
The thing that niggles is that having picked up the prov. ball he does not have a ball in play and he cannot play a ball from where the 'last' stroke was played.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes he must go back to the tee as he does not have a ball in play.

I'm no rules expert, but I asked on here a while ago about picking up a provisional after a wrong ball had been played, and the general consensus was that it should be dropped as near as possible to where it originally was, under penalty of 1 shot for moving the ball in play.

Would that not apply in this case, or were we wrong before?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no rules expert, but I asked on here a while ago about picking up a provisional after a wrong ball had been played, and the general consensus was that it should be dropped as near as possible to where it originally was, under penalty of 1 shot for moving the ball in play.

Would that not apply in this case, or were we wrong before?

If you play another ball then the Provo ball is declared not to be in play anymore as you have played your original ball or so you have thought. If you then find out you have played an incorrect ball and your first was indeed lost then you can play your provissional as long as you have not picked it up declaring the ball not in play anymore.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
9 off the tee

1 Tee Shot
2 & 3 Penalty for Wrong Ball
4 Lost ball
5 and 6 Moving Provo
7 and 8 Wrong place
9 2nd Tee Shot

Intresting discovery when working this out if you play from teh worng place it's 2 stokes but carry on unless it's considered you gained a significant advanatage at which point it's DQ.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think you're right Gary.

Tee shot(1), second shot(2), 2 shot penalty (wrong ball)(4), 2 shot penalty (lost ball)(6) 1 shot penalty for picking up a provisional(7), would be playing 8 from where his provisional should be.... OR 10th if he then went back to the tee with it... I think :)

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
if I was 10 off the tee I would promptly f off home :)

Yeh actually I think it's 9.... it should be stroke and distance for the lost ball not 2 shot penalty :)

Tee shot(1), second shot(2), 2 shot penalty (wrong ball)(4), 1 shot (S&D) penalty (lost ball)(5) 1 shot penalty for picking up a provisional(6), would be playing 7 from where his provisional should be.... OR 9th if he then went back to the tee with it... I think... who cares it's an NR !!!! :)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few people are more or less correct on this now. I sent Don a text to re-explain this exactly to me so I can put up his official ruling on it. Not heard back yet so I do hope I explain it correctly.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
A few people are more or less correct on this now. I sent Don a text to re-explain this exactly to me so I can put up his official ruling on it. Not heard back yet so I do hope I explain it correctly.

What!!! You mean you don't even know yourself!!! :eek:oo::angry:

:D:D:D LOL