5i Carry - Am I Still Distinctly Average?

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It wasn't 'smacking' anyone, I was just trying to help...........just like I tried to help you in your thread about shanking.
Don't worry, I wont bother in future

Apologies if you were then, didn't come across that way when I first read it. :(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Reading this, I'm distinctly average but reasonably accurate. Oh well, I'm old enough and ugly enough to accept it, not that I have an a choice.

It's what I was kind of getting at. I've changed my swing and hitting it very different from before and so I wanted to check that my 5i carry was what would be expected of a 10h/cap player (all caveats apply). If someone had said - well actually a 10 h/cap player should be getting more than 160-165yd carry then that would tell me that maybe I had something to work on. As it is I'm in the correct range for my handicap and so I'm happy with that. And happiness with distance and clubbing brings confidence in the shot.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's what I was kind of getting at. I've changed my swing and hitting it very different from before and so I wanted to check that my 5i carry was what would be expected of a 10h/cap player (all caveats apply). If someone had said - well actually a 10 h/cap player should be getting more than 160-165yd carry then that would tell me that maybe I had something to work on. As it is I'm in the correct range for my handicap and so I'm happy with that. And happiness with distance and clubbing brings confidence in the shot.
But is there such a thing a 10 handicapper hitting a certain distance?
Im off 11 but im a member of a small 9 hole course with only 3 par 4 holes and the longest is 383yds.
Looking at where youre a member there is only 1 par 4 hole i couldnt make in 2 no matter how well i struck it and thats your 2nd. All the rest if i was playing well i could hit regulation and im no means a big hitter with a 5 iron of 160.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But is there such a thing a 10 handicapper hitting a certain distance?
Im off 11 but im a member of a small 9 hole course with only 3 par 4 holes and the longest is 383yds.
Looking at where youre a member there is only 1 par 4 hole i couldnt make in 2 no matter how well i struck it and thats your 2nd. All the rest if i was playing well i could hit regulation and im no means a big hitter with a 5 iron of 160.

It is a debatable question I agree. But I think it's a fair question simply asking about a 5i and how far a 10 h/capper might be expected to hit it. We can agree that it's not 120yds and it's not 200yds - so we have some idea of what it is. Your thoughts on length of course etc would feed through to h/cap through SI.

And you are quite correct - I hit green on our 2nd maybe one round in ten. Drive uphill (kills distance) with dogleg at crest (makes chosing line difficult). So as well as bering 475yds (or so) your second shot is always blind and against the prevailing wind.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
And you are quite correct - I hit green on our 2nd maybe one round in ten. Drive uphill (kills distance) with dogleg at crest (makes chosing line difficult). So as well as bering 475yds (or so) your second shot is always blind and against the prevailing wind.
Par 5 for me then :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Par 5 for me then :D

In effect a Par 5 for all but a very few...in fact at one time a few years ago it was a straightforward par 5 but technology means that it is now a very tough par 4. And as we are talking 5i I often will hit a safe 5i for my second shot - knowing I won't reach but also knowing that I will also be short of the greenside bunkers awaiting a wayward long approach, and good chance of keeping it safely on the short stuff for a straightforward pitch ore bump and run on.

Last edited:

rustyb

Hacker
Visit site
My typical 5iron on game golf states 218. My issue is my accuarcy. I play off 16. I was taking my five iron and my three wood off the tee alot during the summer. Then a few weeks ago I started using a driver again. I hit my driver a good distance, around the 270 mark but its pretty inconsistent. So my issue is this do I hit my driver and enjoy the extra opportunities I get to make par and birdie (I had eleven the other day) and accept that I'm going to bogey, double and triple bogey a fair share of holes. Or do I keep hitting three wood and five iron and limit the real damage losing balls does to your round. I haven't scored so many birdies as in the last few weeks but i also have hit more nines in the past few weeks than I have all summer. Argh!

alexbrownmp

Head Pro
Visit site
It is a debatable question I agree. But I think it's a fair question simply asking about a 5i and how far a 10 h/capper might be expected to hit it. We can agree that it's not 120yds and it's not 200yds - so we have some idea of what it is. Your thoughts on length of course etc would feed through to h/cap through SI.

it depends on your SS and the loft on your 5 iron doesnt it? also the strike whether pured or bottom of the club.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My typical 5iron on game golf states 218. My issue is my accuarcy. I play off 16. I was taking my five iron and my three wood off the tee alot during the summer. Then a few weeks ago I started using a driver again. I hit my driver a good distance, around the 270 mark but its pretty inconsistent. So my issue is this do I hit my driver and enjoy the extra opportunities I get to make par and birdie (I had eleven the other day) and accept that I'm going to bogey, double and triple bogey a fair share of holes. Or do I keep hitting three wood and five iron and limit the real damage losing balls does to your round. I haven't scored so many birdies as in the last few weeks but i also have hit more nines in the past few weeks than I have all summer. Argh!

That is a short distance with your driver v your 5 iron

D

Deleted member 15344

218 5 iron and a 270 driver ?!

Having issues with your driver then ?

D

Deleted member 15344

That was my thinking. 216yds with a 5iron I'd be expecting a driver average comfortably over 300.

That's the sort of numbers for the big hitters on tour

Don't think I have witnessed anyone hitting a 5 iron that far as an average

chris1976x

Hacker
Visit site
I've not read the whole thread.

But I just thought I would chip in. I am new to golf, started playing in june. I hit the ball 170-180 yards with a 5 hybrid off the floor, 160-170 6 iron and so on, about 220 with 3w on a tee and about 250 with driver.

But this is all on a driving range, I hit many slices with the driver and woods, more than I do straight. I hit quite a few pulls and hooks with the irons, prob about 25% are pulled or hooked. When I go to the course, I often hit the fairway, but unfortunately its not the fairway of the hole I am playing. Only been on a course 3 times and my best is 130!

I would love to be able to hit the ball straight every time, even if I lost 30 yards off each club. I think control is much better than distance.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've not read the whole thread.

But I just thought I would chip in. I am new to golf, started playing in june. I hit the ball 170-180 yards with a 5 hybrid off the floor, 160-170 6 iron and so on, about 220 with 3w on a tee and about 250 with driver.

But this is all on a driving range, I hit many slices with the driver and woods, more than I do straight. I hit quite a few pulls and hooks with the irons, prob about 25% are pulled or hooked. When I go to the course, I often hit the fairway, but unfortunately its not the fairway of the hole I am playing. Only been on a course 3 times and my best is 130!

I would love to be able to hit the ball straight every time, even if I lost 30 yards off each club. I think control is much better than distance.

Hitting 30 yards shot of what you hit now would make good scoring basically impossible, you need SOME power and then learn to hit it straight, if (And obviously this is not an option) you were told give up 30 yards and you CAN hit every fairway your scoring would never be great, you would never reach a lot of par 4s, long par 3s would mean hitting drive or not reaching etc...

Giving up 30 yards to hit it straight? dont do it!

oh yes

How do you hit a 5 iron 218 and a driver 270? I hit a 5 iron around that and honestly cannot hit a driver 270 (Too short, feels like swinging in slow motion to produce that yardage( something is wrong with that swing

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Found this thread most diverting and very enjoyable.

However (IMO) the object of the exercise is not to hit the ball a certain distance in relation to the number stamped on the sole of any club.

It's actually to hit it in the correct direction, and by degrees thereafter, to get it as close to the hole as possible, the ultimate goal being to hole out with as few shots as possible on each hole.

If one hits one's 5i 175 yards or one's 4i the same distance, then the litmus test is the ball's proximity to the hole after either stroke, not the distance it's travelled in relation to the club's number.

As long as you know what number is on the club *you* need to hit to achieve the result then the rest is completely immaterial.

D

Deleted member 15344

Hitting 30 yards shot of what you hit now would make good scoring basically impossible, you need SOME power and then learn to hit it straight, if (And obviously this is not an option) you were told give up 30 yards and you CAN hit every fairway your scoring would never be great, you would never reach a lot of par 4s, long par 3s would mean hitting drive or not reaching etc...

oh yes

How do you hit a 5 iron 218 and a driver 270? I hit a 5 iron around that and honestly cannot hit a driver 270 (Too short, feels like swinging in slow motion to produce that yardage( something is wrong with that swing

It's not impossible to be a short hitter and score well - seen plenty do it on a regular occurrence

D

Deleted member 16999

oh yes

Losing 30 yards off the tee and bogeying every hole would still be 40 shots better than current😃
In all seriousness I take your point, but, imo there is a level when accuracy over distance is better, once accuracy and confidence is gained, people will develop more power, for a beginner/24+ Handicapper, keeping it in play 200-230 yards off the tee is more than enough, obviously has to work in conjunction with all aspects of the game.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Found this thread most diverting and very enjoyable.

However (IMO) the object of the exercise is not to hit the ball a certain distance in relation to the number stamped on the sole of any club.

It's actually to hit it in the correct direction, and by degrees thereafter, to get it as close to the hole as possible, the ultimate goal being to hole out with as few shots as possible on each hole.

If one hits one's 5i 175 yards or one's 4i the same distance, then the litmus test is the ball's proximity to the hole after either stroke, not the distance it's travelled in relation to the club's number.

As long as you know what number is on the club *you* need to hit to achieve the result then the rest is completely immaterial.

Everyone KNOWs its about where the ball finishes

BUT

Golf is easier if you are hitting less club and wanting to get a handle on what is average is what this thread is about..

p.s

Average for men, knock 5% of the LPGA distances and you will be damn close.

My post with guy above crossed over..

Its A LOT easier to refine your swing later and learn to hit straight than it is to learn to hit straight then gain speed... think about that, nearly every swinger you see on the PGA tour has refined their swing from a faster version...

Last edited: