5i Carry - Am I Still Distinctly Average?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played with a guy a few times at my club, a visitor, who hit his 6iron over 200 yards. Didn't have an official handicap, but would have been in the low 20s.

Some people are just capable of hitting it long.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you have a bit of strength or height it is not uncommon for high handicaps to be able to hit a ball quite far.

With a bit of effort they don't stay high handicaps for long.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are so many reasons why a player can be a high handicapper

rubbish of the tee
Poor distance judgement
Rubbish at chipping
Rubbish at pitching
Terrible puttiING ​not terrible but not good
Formerly a cat 1 player that only pounds drivers now and plays twice a year

etc etc

Why should it be so outlandish if nestled amongst the above, the player might actually be a good ball striker?[/QUOTE]

The variation in bold would be me

TO score takes a lot of golfing as getting the ball in the hole is the bit you lose quickly, standing and hitting it, not so tough with big modern clubs

if i pitched up for a game i would say 20 handicap would be fair, but i would to still expect to win the longdrive hole, sure if i go play 20 rounds in 3 months i would be back in the 70s but nope i rarely play, just hit the ball on the range mostly.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I reckon 175 is a very respectable carry distance for a 5i.

OK - I'll take that then - top of my distance though. I'll note that my OP was a little tongue in cheek - that maybe I did kind of guess that 175yds is not really 'distinctly average' (in other words not really 'rather ordinary' and below average in fact). But I did actually wonder as I often stand on the tee I hit the 5i 175yd carry in similar conditions and guys have their 7i out giving it welly,

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont disagree with the majority of that, however you do not have to be a low H/C to be able to wack a ball a good distance.

Absolutely not

There are so many reasons why a player can be a high handicapper

rubbish of the tee
Poor distance judgement
Rubbish at chipping
Rubbish at pitching
Terrible putting

etc etc

Why should it be so outlandish if nestled amongst the above, the player might actually be a good ball striker?

I never once said you had to be low to hit it far but distance means nothing if you can't be accurate.

I play back and forth with a guy who can know it the best part of 300 of the tee with a driver but it can go anywhere, he'd happily give up distance for accuracy.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I never once said you had to be low to hit it far but distance means nothing if you can't be accurate.

I play back and forth with a guy who can know it the best part of 300 of the tee with a driver but it can go anywhere, he'd happily give up distance for accuracy.

Again, this is posted so often on these threads, if that is the case, he would hit 3 woods or hybrids not drivers

P.S i would not give up distance as it does provide a great advantage when you get your timing right, I have a natural ability to hit the ball far so giving it up would be dumb and modern clubs are gigantic

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Again, this is posted so often on these threads, if that is the case, he would hit 3 woods or hybrids not drivers

P.S i would not give up distance as it does provide a great advantage when you get your timing right, I have a natural ability to hit the ball far so giving it up would be dumb and modern clubs are gigantic

He does hit 3w and hybrids and hits them far, just not very straight which is my point

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I mean as a golf outing gimmick
Call your ball *I have just named it
closest to the number calls wins
Like longest drive, nearest the pin etc during the day, trackman or similar on the range, call it and win

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
i would not give up distance as it does provide a great advantage when you get your timing right, I have a natural ability to hit the ball far so giving it up would be dumb and modern clubs are gigantic

I'd rather hit a green with a 5 than miss it with a 7.

Before I turned pro, my 5 iron went 160-170 and that got me down to 2 h/cap.
Having said that, my lofts are a bit weak (30 deg 5 iron)

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd rather hit a green with a 5 than miss it with a 7.

Before I turned pro, my 5 iron went 160-170 and that got me down to 2 h/cap.
Having said that, my lofts are a bit weak (30 deg 5 iron)

Never considered lofts. My 5 iron is 27.5 :eek:oo:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Also I'd like to remind folk, it says average..... not once in a blue moon, downhill down wind:rofl::rofl:

i know a couple of guys that hit a 5 iron 190 is and they are + fig players.

175 is about it for me on a calm ish day.... which is not that often, so into the wind it' could be 150 or downwind 215

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Guess I'm one of those with a high hc that belts it's long, I out drive everyone I play with even a pro at the pro am, good clubs maybe, I play with ap2. So why am I 19 hc, poor chipping, putting, course management, not having control of swing yet, three off the tee a LOT, nerves, poor decisions etc etc but I like having that distance in my bag, hoping the other stuff can be learned in time!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Guess I'm one of those with ahigh hc that belts it's long, I out drive everyone I play with even a pro at the pro am, good clubs maybe, I play with ap2. So why am I 19 hc, poor chipping, putting, course management, not having control of swing yet, three off the tee a LOT, nerves, poor decisions etc etc but I like having that distance in my bag, hoping the other stuff can be learned in time!

How do you know you out drive them if you cant find it a LOT ?

Yes, it's fun hitting it a long way, it's even more fun if you can find it.

G

guest100718

Not sure that's a fair reply to my comment, what's that smack the newbie down till he learns his place dear mighty pro?

Its a forum sacred cow. No one can claim a driving average greater than 250 if.they do it must be a lie.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure that's a fair reply to my comment, what's that smack the newbie down till he learns his place dear mighty pro?

I don't think that's what he's doing at all.. I think he's trying to say that if your aim is to improve your handicap then it would appear that there are several shots to be saved per round just by throttling back a bit and playing in a more controlled manner.. If you take 3 reloads per round, then that's 6 shots off your handicap just by taking less club or a more controlled swing.. If someone offered me 6 shots off my handicap I'd bite their bloody hands off.. :D