5i Carry - Am I Still Distinctly Average?

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
165 ish for me, all dependant on a pure strike of course. If I had to carry 160 over water, I'd be nervous. Slightly heavy and it's in the drink!

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All those double digit HC's that can carry 190+, how often do you hit your target that far away?

If it's above 50% you need to practice your putting.

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I reckon 175 is a very respectable carry distance for a 5i.

You hit it what you hit it, how close to the hole the ball finishes is all that matters, i hit my 5 iron 200 and something yards, how many not sure.

Scoring is pretty poor these days, but obviously my technique for ball striking is pretty good, pitching, putting etc requires a lot of golf

I like hitting it far and its not that important to me to score these days, i am for sure 200 yards plus and double digits

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Normally hit a 5 iron around 180-185 but have the odd one to 190

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm only about 165 with mine but it would be interesting to know the loft of the 5 irons being quoted. The loft on my 5 iron (Mizuno MX-900) is 27°. As a comparison, the Taylor Made PSi 5 iron is 24.5° and the 6 iron is 27.5°. Similarly the Callway Apex 5 iron is 24° and the 6 iron is 27°.

So to a degree it also depends on the make, model and vintage you are hitting.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All those double digit HC's that can carry 190+, how often do you hit your target that far away?

If it's above 50% you need to practice your putting.

Not very often

Though i am sure the OP specifically asked about distance, not accuracy...

H/C has ZERO relation to how far you can hit a ball

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just read through this thread and have to say that forum distances are alive and well and I'm now feeling distinctly inadequate if these are anything to go by :D

My average carry with a 5-iron is probably 15-20 yards behind so that makes me well below average.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
About 140 for me on a good day, which corresponds to my 26 degree hybrid which has a lot more height so the 5 iron doesn't get used very much.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Forum distances?

Honestly a handful of people have said 200 yards. What is remotely outlandish about that?

If people were on here saying 250 plus then i eyebrows may be justified in being raised, but not for distances that are only 10-15% percent more than the 175 (ish) mentioned.

Honestly, why do people see there arris when someone can hot the ball fractionally further than them?

Its comical

Are the whingers on here seriously telling me that in all their collective (an supposedly learned) years they have never seen a hacker that can dink it a long way?

Honestly??

I mean Honestly????

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not very often

Though i am sure the OP specifically asked about distance, not accuracy...

H/C has ZERO relation to how far you can hit a ball

I beg to differ, the further you hit it WITH accuracy the easier the game is, FACT. If you can only hit your driver 200, you won't hit many 400 yard par 4 greens in regulation, in fact you'll likely hit zero.

Golf is more about accuracy than distance, but you can't really have one without a good bit of the other.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I beg to differ, the further you hit it WITH accuracy the easier the game is, FACT. If you can only hit your driver 200, you won't hit many 400 yard par 4 greens in regulation, in fact you'll likely hit zero.

Golf is more about accuracy than distance, but you can't really have one without a good bit of the other.

I dont disagree with the majority of that, however you do not have to be a low H/C to be able to wack a ball a good distance.

Absolutely not

There are so many reasons why a player can be a high handicapper

rubbish of the tee
Poor distance judgement
Rubbish at chipping
Rubbish at pitching
Terrible putting

etc etc

Why should it be so outlandish if nestled amongst the above, the player might actually be a good ball striker?