5i Carry - Am I Still Distinctly Average?

TheDoctor

Club Champion
Visit site
When I was fitted for my irons earlier this year, using the 6i my average carry was 180yds with the new clubs

I am yet to get the full set on the launch monitor to get my distances sorted for every club, but we have a 190 yd par 3 from the white tees where I will hit my 5i on a calm day, or 4i if it is into a breeze

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Mine is 160!

Except if there's some of that 'magnetic' water about, in which case it's whatever it takes to get into that!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Though I'm really not that bothered - just that I have no idea what average is these days. I could easy hit that distance before but I played with a very regular and pronounced draw - with quite occasional (i.e.regular) uncontrolled consequences. I'll be more than happy if my 5i settles in the 165-175yd range (don't think I'll ever be consistent enough to get the range any tighter). Plenty good enough I'd say.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I tend to hit my driver and 3w further than most of the guys I play with, but I am very slappy with irons and tend to be taking a club more than they are.

In saying that, I'm not trying to hit them far, I'm trying to hit them straight. Too many folk don't grasp that concept and lash at everything

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Though I'm really not that bothered - just that I have no idea what average is these days. I could easy hit that distance before but I played with a very regular and pronounced draw - with quite occasional (i.e.regular) uncontrolled consequences. I'll be more than happy if my 5i settles in the 165-175yd range (don't think I'll ever be consistent enough to get the range any tighter). Plenty good enough I'd say.

To be honest I think a more accurate question would be what is the average distance for say a 30 degree club as the lofts on a 5 iron can change a lot nowadays.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's difficult to get exact iron distances in UK weather, who plays in flat calm, warm conditions more than a few days in a row?

I played yesterday and carried my 5 iron 197 yds downbreeze off a tee, later in the round I carried the same club 168 yds off a bare lie into the same breeze.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
You're not average, if that is your 'typical' 5i.

GG has been a revelation, I can hit my 5i 180, but it turns out it so rubbish and inconsistent that my actual typical with a 5i is actually 1 yard shorter than my typical 7i, which I hit consistently well.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't have anything to track distances, but I would be looking to use my 5i from around 160-170 yards, with a carry at the bottom end of that

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
175yds, that my 9 iron distance, I'm also extremely good looking, drive a Ferrari, can impregnate a women at 50 paces just by looking at her. bench press the Ark Royal, run faster than a F16 fighter, have x-ray vision and use my Jedi mind powers to make sure I never miss a putt.

Really? Does it matter that much how far you hit a ball?

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
175yds, that my 9 iron distance, I'm also extremely good looking, drive a Ferrari, can impregnate a women at 50 paces just by looking at her. bench press the Ark Royal, run faster than a F16 fighter, have x-ray vision and use my Jedi mind powers to make sure I never miss a putt.

Really? Does it matter that much how far you hit a ball?

Not when you have all that tucked away in your locker!

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I recently acknowledged the fact after 20 years that I am not consistent enough with anything longer than a 6 iron, so I don't carry the 5 iron any more.

The 6 iron goes 165 if I middle it. The 24degree hybrid that replaced the 5 iron goes 175-180. More importantly it mostly stays where I can see it.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I love these threads, all these declared distances which miraculously I never get to see at many of the meets I attend, there were a couple of long par 3's today at Blackmoor which fell well within some of the distances declared above at 187yds & 192yds but not a single iron was used!

Clubs could have A, B, C on them for me, as long as I know which one gets me the distance I need who cares which one it is or if its average or not, if someone uses a 9i for 135yds and i use a 7i, so what?

Willy waving thread, nothing more.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Average around 183 with my 5iron, but I'm with the majority here that I'd rather be a better golfer than just someone who can smash it miles. Mind you if I could, i'd have both distance and skill.