5G is here.........

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
From what I gather at the minute it’s mainly for places where lots of people gather, football stadiums etc.
Apart from the extra speed it allows many many more devices to be connected simultaneously without any loss of signal.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
As with every other technological improvement it will soon become more affordable and common place. And in a couple of years time most people will be using it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I rarely get 4g so not getting overly excited by 5g, particularly at the prices being quoted. In theory it sounds fantastic and will be a big improvement. Then again they said that about 4g 🤔 and I'm still waiting for that to happen outside of the cities in any decent way.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
BT have a demo for clients down in Canary Wharf that show cases what 5G can do. They have a 4K film streaming over 5G with no drops, while someone else is online gaming.

Once it goes live across the country at it's full capacity it will be a game changer. 5G will allow homes to pull down data faster than even the fastest cable/broadband lines currently available.

You'll see more streaming services coming online, Apple have recently announced, Disney are following suit soon, Virgin are looking into it as are Sky.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
but is it worth it, and who's it aimed at?

Still can't get 4G in some parts of the country, and being able to tap into a local wireless when on our travels, will it be a white elephant?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technolo...ial&ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_source=twitter

Long term it’s going to be huge

Coverage wise the entire country long term should be able to get it. Unlike now with black spots that don’t get phone signal.

It’s suppose to be so fast that home broadband can be replaced with it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
BT have a demo for clients down in Canary Wharf that show cases what 5G can do. They have a 4K film streaming over 5G with no drops, while someone else is online gaming.

Once it goes live across the country at it's full capacity it will be a game changer. 5G will allow homes to pull down data faster than even the fastest cable/broadband lines currently available.

You'll see more streaming services coming online, Apple have recently announced, Disney are following suit soon, Virgin are looking into it as are Sky.
Do you see cables into houses, premises etc being irrelevant then? Will everything go 5G?

How long until this promised land?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great. I still have a year to go on my contract anyway so I guess I won't get the benefit for a year at least.

Just take up a 4G deal when it ends save yourself the cash 😬 lol in all seriousness that’s why the data offered on deals is crazy now. I have 50Gb a month data

Have to get a 5g phone. Apple rumoured to be late 2020 and the rest are atm

If only trump hadn’t insulted the entire Chinese race otherwise Apple would have their chips sorted 😂

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you see cables into houses, premises etc being irrelevant then? Will everything go 5G?

How long until this promised land?

Eventually yes.

Virgin Media are now pretty much focussed on customer retention for the their broad band and cable services, they know once 5G gets going the streaming options open to people will increase and the likelihood of people leaving cable and broadband for streaming will grow.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
She rings you too?

Once it's sorted the purported 10g BW will mean one phone could act as a hot spot for all wifi appliances in a house, laptop, PC, TiVo/Q boxes, smart appliances (TV, Fridge, Kettle, toaster), security systems, mind you that would likely cost you an arm and a leg for the data plan.

or I dare say you could get a SIM enable wifi router

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Once it's sorted the purported 10g BW will mean one phone could act as a hot spot for all wifi appliances in a house, laptop, PC, TiVo/Q boxes, smart appliances (TV, Fridge, Kettle, toaster), security systems, mind you that would likely cost you an arm and a leg for the data plan.

or I dare say you could get a SIM enable wifi router

Can already get that working with 4G. Friend of mine has just moved into a new build where Openreach are refusing to turn on the Fibre until the whole estate has completed, so his only option to get decent internet speeds was to get a SIM router and a 4G sim and he's been well impressed with it. He's got multiple devices, smart bulbs, cameras etc and he's able to play online games on Xbox live with no issues or lag, so will only get better once 5G hits.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was funny yesterday on the news.

The presenter was showing just how quick it was when it stopped because he ran out of his data allowance.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
5G is not really being design for the mobile consumer per say when it comes to mobile phone terms, its being implemented for the uptake in IOT devices where we will see smart cities, driverless cars, etc and it will ultimately do away with the need for digging up the roads for fiber. That's why its coming, as a side product EE, VF etc will sell you a contract for a million mbps download which the hardware you are using wont be able to utilise, but hey, its good to talk about in the pub.