Mosque Shooting in NZ

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Horrendous - RIP to the victims. What makes it even worse that he live-streamed it and the footage is still being spread around social media. Numbers have been rising all morning and now up to around 50 dead, disgusting. No doubt it'll be portrayed as "mental illness" rather than terrorism in the press though.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tragic. We have family and 4 Grandchildren on The South Island although at Nelson which is 400 Kim’s away.

Remember about 12 years’ ago speaking to people who said they were ‘safe’ as they were too far away from any terrorism. Also there were no secret checks whatsoever when we took an internal flight from Dunedin to Christchurch.

Hope SILH Is safe.

U

User62651

Saw a Facebook 'I'm safe' message around 6am, my 1st cousin's son and family live in Christchurch. Never thought you'd see that level of terrorism in NZ, very sad news, evil brainwashed people everywhere it seems.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thoughts to all involved, nephew works in Christchurch. Not heard owt so assuming he's ok.

Seems the Bangladsh cricket team escaped the events by minutes.

D

Deleted member 15344

This isn’t going to be a popular opinion but it appears that the outrage to this incident across doesn’t seem to have the same “impact “ as other events across Social Media - if this was 4 Islam terrorists bursting into a Church carrying out the shooting I reckon the “response” would be different

If you use this forum for example

So far 4/5 people commenting on it

Look at the threads for example for the London Bridge Incident or Manchester Bombing - the level of response is different , now is it because it happened in the UK we naturally respond differently ? Did we response differently with the Paris attacks ?

Have we as “Westerners” become sub consciously less caring if “Muslims” get attacked because of 9/11 , 7/7, Lee Rigby , ISIS etc -it was a question that was asked on Twitter

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
1.2m tweets mentioning "New Zealand"
1.46m mentioning "Christchurch"
Top trending post on Reddit by a mile is about the attack

I'd say it's had quite a big impact and social media response. It's between 4 and 7am in the US, people will only just be waking up to the news, so it will only grow as the day goes on.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
This isn’t going to be a popular opinion but it appears that the outrage to this incident across doesn’t seem to have the same “impact “ as other events across Social Media - if this was 4 Islam terrorists bursting into a Church carrying out the shooting I reckon the “response” would be different

Look at the threads for example for the London Bridge Incident or Manchester Bombing - the level of response is different , now is it because it happened in the UK we naturally respond differently ? Did we response differently with the Paris attacks ?

Have we as “Westerners” become sub consciously less caring if “Muslims” get attacked because of 9/11 , 7/7, Lee Rigby , ISIS etc -it was a question that was asked on Twitter

I wondered how long before this opinion would appear, i thought maybe 5 posts, so well done for getting it done in 7 LP, you never fail to let us down.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Rubbish, it's been wall to wall news on the BBC. Excellent bit just now on politics programme by the journalist asking why social media give these people exactly what they want "the oxygen of publicity.

So come on @Liverpoolphil what does this offers, it's a genuine question and not a dig at your post.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The guy stays far too calm through it all, even returning to his car to get another gun before making sure everyone he shot is dead. Utterly chilling.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with your comments. But the most recent ipsos MORI issue index does clearly show that our reaction to major terrorist incidents is more muted.
There seems to be a fatigue element and after the London Bridge attack the index barely moved above 30, compared to 9/11 and 7/7 when it hit 60.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
There goes those atheists committing atrocities again... Said no one ever..

Heartbreakingly, somewhere soon,no doubt once again under the banner of "religious freedom" or some such guff,"payback' is at hand for more innocent people simply going about their day,and so it goes, what a truly horrible species we are

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
The guy stays far too calm through it all, even returning to his car to get another gun before making sure everyone he shot is dead. Utterly chilling.
Not sure if you’ve watched the video, but from reading this I assume you have. In my opinion watching the video is morally wrong, and I will certainly be doing my best to avoid seeing any clips at all costs.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure if you’ve watched the video, but from reading this I assume you have. In my opinion watching the video is morally wrong, and I will certainly be doing my best to avoid seeing any clips at all costs.

Fair enough, I can totally get why someone wouldn't want to see the footage for many reasons - you can't "unsee" such atrocities but I personally disagree with the moral side of it. By seeing such footage, I'm happy in myself that I'm not promoting the cause of the murderer.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Where are your threads for the multiple times this year when 50+ people were killed in other terrorist activities in Africa and the Middle East?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I think it’s because it’s miles away not on our door step

It’s awful.

I’ve seen the video doing the rounds

Turned even my stomach