2024 Troon Open

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wish I could have been willing and cheering Rose on more than I was - as ever I’m afraid I find his whole demeanour, body language and conversation just too performative, contrived and inauthentic. I could well be reading him wrong, though my Mrs is in agreement and she’s a good reader of people, but I just don’t warm to him at all.
How does his support and creation of The Rose Series of events for aspiring female golfers fit with this? Rose is consistently one of the good guys.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I wish I could have been willing and cheering Rose on more than I was - as ever I’m afraid I find his whole demeanour, body language and conversation just too performative, contrived and inauthentic. I could well be reading him wrong, though my Mrs is in agreement and she’s a good reader of people, but I just don’t warm to him at all.

You only have to look at what he did during Covid and since for Ladies golf within the UK to show you the manner of the man

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He seems like a proper nice bloke to me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've met Justin Rose twice and he was an absolute gent both times. Seen him have a lot of time for the fans and couldn't be nicer.

Have a lot of respect for his game. Quite clearly loves the sport. Still driven to succeed even now.
Showed a lot of class to turn up to qualifying and win it with 2 solid rounds.

He's talked for the last few years about winning more majors and has proved he has it still in the locker when many, including me thought those days might be behind him.

Glad he has a major tucked away in his back pocket but by god it would have been fantastic him to win Thee Open. A fitting feather in the cap to a great career. One he's had to work extremely hard for.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
How does his support and creation of The Rose Series of events for aspiring female golfers fit with this? Rose is consistently one of the good guys.
I’m not doubting or questioning at all the good things he and his wife do for the game in the UK - for juniors, girls and British women pros trying to build and maintain career…I know he does all that - and I’m not doubting the authenticity of that support and promotion. I’m talking about how he comes across to me. I just don’t warm to him in that context - it all feels rather constructed, and not ‘authentic’…not the real him. It may well just be the case that he is a very shy guy, and struggles in that respect, so creates the public facing persona we see of Justin Rose.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Personally I’ve always fond Rose a bit cringy & dull,almost like he’s trying too hard.
But I’m sure he’s a good bloke.
This is something of what I’m getting at. In a way I’m trying to understand why I don’t ‘get’ him when I know all the great stuff he does for the game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find this a bit of a weird take, and I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone have a bad word to say about him before. He seems absolute class to me, inside and out. Oh well, you can't please everyone clearly! 😄

Hoganman1

Visit site
I really like Rose and was so hoping he would win today. I remember back in 1998 when he holed out on 18 from 50 yards to win low amateur. I think he's a class act.
While as an American I am happy for Xander, a Rose victory would have been special. I wish some of our US players were as great a gentleman as he is.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think you need to reevaluate your Mrs being a good reader of people.

• Haha
Reactions: sjw

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I find this a bit of a weird take, and I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone have a bad word to say about him before. He seems absolute class to me, inside and out. Oh well, you can't please everyone clearly! 😄
I’m not bad mouthing him…and I’d have been pleased if he’d won…I just don’t quite ‘get’ him. Anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Disappointed for Rose and would love to have seen Brown complete the fairytale but pleased he got a top 10 which sees him back next year. Anyone that shoots 65 in the final round of a major in those conditions deserves their win

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Couldn't really watch much of the final day as I was out at a 36 hole event with the youth - so pretty much just followed the scores through The Open app. Actually don't mind Xander taking the win - seems like a good lad, would have been nice for a non American to win it but hey ho.

Overall, it was a decent major but lacked some big names over the weekend - I had initially requested weekend tickets but changed to Friday a few weeks back, and glad I did, felt like we had the best day in terms of weather, and getting to watch the superstars of the game.

Major season ends too early.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Disappointed for Rose and would love to have seen Brown complete the fairytale but pleased he got a top 10 which sees him back next year. Anyone that shoots 65 in the final round of a major in those conditions deserves their win
This presumably goes for Rosey as well which I've not seen many people mention. He had to qualify this year so he won't have to go through that next year. (y)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't get that people can judge others when they really don't know them at all, this sort of trash is spouted on here about Andy Murray all the time too - Murray and Rose are top top sportsmen and have to have a public/media face that may be quite different from their true persona!

RichA

Visit site
I can't get that people can judge others when they really don't know them at all, this sort of trash is spouted on here about Andy Murray all the time too - Murray and Rose are top top sportsmen and have to have a public/media face that may be quite different from their true persona!
As long as we're just waffling about them on a golf forum and not spreading irrational hate on social media it's pretty harmless though.
Bearing in mind the vast majority of us only get to judge them on how they come across on TV it's always going to be subjective.
Tiger might not be the greatest human but I could watch him play golf all day.
Xander Schauffele might be a lovely fella and a great golfer but I don't enjoy watching him. I think it's the disproportionately large shoes that mess with my head.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as we're just waffling about them on a golf forum and not spreading irrational hate on social media it's pretty harmless though.
Bearing in mind the vast majority of us only get to judge them on how they come across on TV it's always going to be subjective.
Tiger might not be the greatest human but I could watch him play golf all day.
Xander Schauffele might be a lovely fella and a great golfer but I don't enjoy watching him. I think it's the disproportionately large shoes that mess with my head.
Hahaha, I noticed this yesterday as well! I remember thinking it looked like he was wearing a pair of novelty golf slippers. 😂

1721639151636.png