2024 Troon Open

Swango1980

Visit site
I found the highlights bored me. Don’t have Sky so no live coverage (probably thankfully as well)
Golf highlights is something I have never been able to watch. It just becomes about players hitting shot after shot, putt after putt, and it all becomes a bit monotonous.

I need to watch golf live, where every shot has the potential to be great, awful or anything in between.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Golf highlights is something I have never been able to watch. It just becomes about players hitting shot after shot, putt after putt, and it all becomes a bit monotonous.

I need to watch golf live, where every shot has the potential to be great, awful or anything in between.
Same with cricket highlights. Invariably a boundary shot or a wicket and not much else

PaulMdj

Visit site
I found the highlights bored me. Don’t have Sky so no live coverage (probably thankfully as well)
Doesn’t the word “Highlights” give it away though?🤔

Who wants to watch a bloke spending 4 minutes walking from his tee shot to his ball to play his next shot or 1 minute stood over a ball doing a pre-shot routine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Doesn’t the word “Highlights” give it away though?🤔

Who wants to watch a bloke spending 4 minutes walking from his tee shot to his ball to play his next shot or 1 minute stood over a ball doing a pre-shot routine.
Even live golf is just highlights for a lot of it. How many times do we see it: "Here's Tom Dickenharry on the 13th green" - he's +7, this is the first time he's been shown on the coverage and he has a 30 foot putt. Hmm, I wonder if it'll go in?

PaulMdj

Visit site
Even live golf is just highlights for a lot of it. How many times do we see it: "Here's Tom Dickenharry on the 13th green" - he's +7, this is the first time he's been shown on the coverage and he has a 30 foot putt. Hmm, I wonder if it'll go in?
Live for 12 hours or highlights for 1 hour, what do you expect to see in the highlights?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My thoughts echo yours, I'm not particularly interested in watching putts unless the make or not has an impact on the leaderboard or gets someone on a roll of scoring or stops momentum. I would much prefer to watch approach shots, recovery shots and tee shot strategy.

PaulMdj

Visit site
My thoughts echo yours, I'm not particularly interested in watching putts unless the make or not has an impact on the leaderboard or gets someone on a roll of scoring or stops momentum. I would much prefer to watch approach shots, recovery shots and tee shot strategy.
I’m sure that’s what we’d all prefer, but as this is being discussed on the Open thread it’s hard to show just that when all 4 days are live.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

The coverage of the Open is poor imo

There is a lot of focus on “technology” , Skyzone , the cart etc etc and they miss so much live golf it’s poor

It shows how bad it it when they have to announce they are showing 1 hour of uninterrupted golf ?

They have exclusive rights and should be showing the golf live from the first shot to the last

There should be red button no advert coverage from the first tee time

Along with the ability to watch every hole

BBCs coverage had issues because it didn’t have the all the bells and whistles of Sky cart etc etc but it showed a lot more live golf than we see now

Worse thing to happen to the Open when it went behind a paywall

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

There is a lot of focus on “technology” , Skyzone , the cart etc etc and they miss so much live golf it’s poor

It shows how bad it it when they have to announce they are showing 1 hour of uninterrupted golf ?

They have exclusive rights and should be showing the golf live from the first shot to the last

BBCs coverage had issues because it didn’t have the all the bells and whistles of Sky cart etc etc but it showed a lot more live golf than we see now

And it will stay with Sky for the forseeable. Some of us actually enjoy watching the pros in the Open Zone and some analysis of the course and players swings. I am sure the red button had featured groups or featured holes from day 1 but it will never be ad free aside from a dedicated Rolex hour

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I know, hence why I asked him what he expected.
I was cricket yesterday so missed the last day. Just finished watching the BBC's final day's highlight show. I knew the result, but I must say I was fixed on the whole 2 hours. They showed drives, approach shots, recoveries and putts in equal measures, that got the tension and importance of each shot. And insights from Ken Brown what more could you want

Swango1980

Visit site

I think it is absolutely miles better on Sky, than the BBC.

As for interruptions, I barely noticed any adverts. I'm sure they were there, but I remember saying to myself "I'll get a drink during the next ad break", and it took absolutely ages until that time came. And, when it did, the ads were short. Also don't remember too many breaks in coverage to go to Skyzone, although in fairness, I watched most of the live coverage on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe they did a lot more of that on Thursday / Friday, before the leaderboard took shape?

I'm pretty sure we got to watch nearly every shot all the leaders took on the Saturday and Sunday. Which is actually better than other Majors I think, where you often seem to miss a lot of their drives, as suddenly they are hitting an approach shot after the last shot you saw them play was holing out on the last green