2024 Troon Open

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is absolutely miles better on Sky, than the BBC.

As for interruptions, I barely noticed any adverts. I'm sure they were there, but I remember saying to myself "I'll get a drink during the next ad break", and it took absolutely ages until that time came. And, when it did, the ads were short. Also don't remember too many breaks in coverage to go to Skyzone, although in fairness, I watched most of the live coverage on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe they did a lot more of that on Thursday / Friday, before the leaderboard took shape?

I'm pretty sure we got to watch nearly every shot all the leaders took on the Saturday and Sunday. Which is actually better than other Majors I think, where you often seem to miss a lot of their drives, as suddenly they are hitting an approach shot after the last shot you saw them play was holing out on the last green

You need breaks to build up recordings of golf to watch , especially near the end

Otherwise we have to watch rose and Xander walk 250 yards to their ball or watch Lowry look in the rough

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it is absolutely miles better on Sky, than the BBC.

As for interruptions, I barely noticed any adverts. I'm sure they were there, but I remember saying to myself "I'll get a drink during the next ad break", and it took absolutely ages until that time came. And, when it did, the ads were short. Also don't remember too many breaks in coverage to go to Skyzone, although in fairness, I watched most of the live coverage on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe they did a lot more of that on Thursday / Friday, before the leaderboard took shape?

I'm pretty sure we got to watch nearly every shot all the leaders took on the Saturday and Sunday. Which is actually better than other Majors I think, where you often seem to miss a lot of their drives, as suddenly they are hitting an approach shot after the last shot you saw them play was holing out on the last green
I might be wrong but don't they limit it to something like 60-90 seconds during play? Thought we got to see a lot of the stories unfolding on the first two days and then the leaders followed throughout the final two rounds. Like you I think the coverage is much better since Sky took it on

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Unpopular opinion.... that was a bit meh. Respectfully to Xander, who had a great round, there was no real jeopardy in that back 9 (this is credit to the player & the way he managed it), I think had the players contending had to face Saturdays weather that would have been a spectacle. Was hoping for a Lowry, Billy Ho or Rose.....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't get that people can judge others when they really don't know them at all, this sort of trash is spouted on here about Andy Murray all the time too - Murray and Rose are top top sportsmen and have to have a public/media face that may be quite different from their true persona!
I can only judge someone as I come across them…and so simply on the basis of how Rose comes across to me, and that is 99.9% through the medium of television, I am afraid that I just don’t ‘get’ him. And just to be clear, I’m not saying I dislike him; or that I don’t appreciate all that he does for the game…just to be clear.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I can only judge someone as I come across them…and so simply on the basis of how Rose comes across to me, and that is 99.9% through the medium of television, I am afraid that I just don’t ‘get’ him. And just to be clear, I’m not saying I dislike him; or that I don’t appreciate all that he does for the game…just to be clear.

What is their to “get” about a person ?

What is it your judging to not “get” someone ?

He clearly speaks well , is clean living , works hard , a family man , obviously has a passion for the sport , been brought up well

He is just a golfer who is very good , there is no bad stories about him in the press , still very much linked to golf in the UK and loves his home Open

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not understanding this.

Family man
Major and olympic winner
Done a lot through the Rose series to help female LET players after Covid

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
And it will stay with Sky for the forseeable. Some of us actually enjoy watching the pros in the Open Zone and some analysis of the course and players swings. I am sure the red button had featured groups or featured holes from day 1 but it will never be ad free aside from a dedicated Rolex hour

Even the "Ad free" hour isnt add free, its just the exclusive Rolex only adverts. How many times to they say "the Rolex hour" during that time?

Swango1980

Visit site
Through what medium is the other 0.1%?

evemccc

Visit site
What is their to “get” about a person ?

What is it your judging to not “get” someone ?

He clearly speaks well , is clean living , works hard , a family man , obviously has a passion for the sport , been brought up well

He is just a golfer who is very good , there is no bad stories about him in the press , still very much linked to golf in the UK and loves his home Open

Add to that his support of young women’s golf through the Rose Series…👏🏻

I think he’s a class act

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Is it not possible for someone to be a top guy like Rosie but some people don't see it ?
Is it a crime?
Not everyone likes everyone...

Of course - it would be interesting to see what it is that someone doesn’t “get” , more curious to know how he comes across as unauthentic

He does have a bit of mix accent

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not understanding this.

Family man
Major and olympic winner
Done a lot through the Rose series to help female LET players after Covid
What I’m talking about has got nothing whatsoever to do with his background; what he has done for the game, and what he has achieved. Nothing at all. And I most certainly don’t dislike him. I don’t understand how difficult the concept of ‘getting’ someone seems to be. But as it clearly is I’ll leave it at that…though I think I’m not alone albeit one of a very small minority.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
What I’m talking about has got nothing whatsoever to do with his background; what he has done for the game, and what he has achieved. Nothing at all. I don’t understand how difficult the concept of ‘getting’ someone seems to be. But as it clearly is I’ll leave it at that…though I think I’m not alone albeit one of a very small minority.
I was going to ask the question what does "getting" someone actually mean?

I can understand not liking someone, because they come across as arrogant, or do nasty things, etc. But "getting" someone is more difficult to grasp. Is it like not getting a joke?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Got to be honest, I also find Rose a little bit bland.
I don't know why, I just do.

Swango1980

Visit site
Got to be honest, I also find Rose a little bit bland.
I don't know why, I just do.
He's definitely a bit bland, I'd say most golfers probably are. For most players to have great golf careers, it probably pays to be bland. Cool headed, consistent shots over and over again, etc. It is often only the golfers that hit it significantly further than anyone else, or the ones who hit it in the cabbage a lot but make spectacular recoveries, or the ones who are able to win significantly more than anyone else for a long period of time, that generate the biggest buzz amongst fans

It is why fans have generally been more interested in players like McIlroy, Woods, Mickelson or Bryson, rather than players like Zack Johnsen, Luke Donald, Matt Kucher, Brian Harman or Justin Rose. Even Scheffler was not particularly liked (in terms of providing fan entertainment), until he went on a Tiger like win record, and then became impossible to ignore.

Still, I've liked Justin Rose mainly because of his contribution in some amazing Ryder Cups. Had he been non-European and never featured in a Ryder Cup, yet had exactly the same individual golf career and personality, I'm sure my opinion of him would probably be "meh, whatever"

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure Bunkermagnet was trying to suggest the highlights should have been done differently? I just think he was simply saying he was bored by watching them.
I was bored by watching the Open at Troon. I have normally watched much of the live or highlights of previous Opens and Majors, but this one....nah. It bored me silly and and hour of the first days highlights.
The course was just so bland looking.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m not bad mouthing him…and I’d have been pleased if he’d won…I just don’t quite ‘get’ him. Anyway.
I’ve met him a couple of times, had he is perfectly nice. He’s still mates with people at the club and occasionally rocks up to play with them or do something with the juniors.

He doesn’t have the Charisma of a Rory or Shane, he’s just media trained. Probably, the Luke Donald of his golfing generation.