2024 Troon Open

Swango1980

Visit site
Looks like McIlroy calmed down after realising he wouldn't make cut. Much better last 12 holes.

If only he'd kept his head together when he was under pressure :(

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
The swing on the early/late draw is crazy, those that were late and early have come up smelling of roses.

Great to see Lowry and Rose playing so well!

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like McIlroy calmed down after realising he wouldn't make cut. Much better last 12 holes.

If only he'd kept his head together when he was under pressure :(
I don’t quite get my head around how someone like him and Bryson can dominate one major and then both miserably fail to make the cut the next one. All I can think of is that here the near mis gets punished much more than during the masters?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t quite get my head around how someone like him and Bryson can dominate one major and then both miserably fail to make the cut the next one. All I can think of is that here the near mis gets punished much more than during the masters?
Totally different style of course, totally different weather conditions, but most of all, just a different day. Haven't you ever shot your handicap one week and 15 over it the next?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Tiger needs to call it a day.
In his pomp he was known for visible & outspoken confidence, seemingly intimidating his competitors.
Now though, IMO he should drop the 'I think I can win' stuff, try to enjoy it more - hoping to make the cut & take it from there messaging would maybe reasonate, & look less foolish.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I played in 29° degrees today, hilarious to come back in and watch them struggling in these conditions. 😄
Yesterday I tried to do some outside jobs after work, soon gave in before heatstroke set in - put the golf on and it was jackets and bobble hats in the crows! Amazing difference.

Swango1980

Visit site
Probably similar to me going out one week and scoring a 75, then the following week shooting 95.

Technically they are much better than us. But we all have our mental demons after the odd bad shot or bad piece of luck

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf is hard. Proper links golf is the hardest test there is. As you say above, In links golf a near miss is usually punished much more severely than what the tour pros are accustomed to. For example, the fairway bunkers on the majority of the American parkland courses cause no trouble to a decent pro unless the ball is tucked under the lip. Go in a fairway bunker on a proper Open links course and you are stuffed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yep. I’m no links expert, but if it’s windy the modern drivers just don’t seem to work on links courses. The modern driver hits the ball too high for windy conditions. As an old fart I grew up with proper persimmon woods and they just didn’t get anywhere near as high as the modern metal stuff. Perfect tool for a windy links course.
If I can hit a Ping G425 driver low then so can a pro…maybe they just think such striking is beneath their level, or just not the way they prefer to play their golf. Well tough. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Just seen the tee times and 1st group not out until 0855. Last group off at 3.45pm. Is that normal? Seems late to me.
With the cut moving up from +5 to +6, the field making it moved from 71 or 72 up to 80.so that might have had some bearing on it? I think the last tee time last week was around 3:20pm.

AussieKB

Visit site
Anyone without tickets......

a good four ball for free at Turnberry over the weekend,
Tigger & Rory against Cam and Bryson

but will have to help look for a lot of balls.

Swango1980

Visit site
Anyone without tickets......

a good four ball for free at Turnberry over the weekend,
Tigger & Rory against Cam and Bryson

but will have to help look for a lot of balls.
They should do that. Great chance to make a bit of cash while they are here. And get another couple of rounds in on their UK golf trip. :)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The swing on the early/late draw is crazy, those that were late and early have come up smelling of roses.

Great to see Lowry and Rose playing so well!

The wind in the morning was pretty much a wafting breeze, yes it was affecting shots but by the afternoon it had really picked up. It was also ‘back to front’ as a local described it on the train so I’m guessing the players hadn’t had an opportunity to practice the conditions.
It was particularly brutal on the postage stamp, as the massive grandstand was shielding the tee, and the flag was tucked behind a dune - but it was howling above and around the end of the stand.
Sat there for a few hours from the Matt Wallace and Laurie Canter group all the way through to Rory’s group and the final bunch of Rory, Hatton and Homa were the only 3 to all find the green.

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep. I’m no links expert, but if it’s windy the modern drivers just don’t seem to work on links courses. The modern driver hits the ball too high for windy conditions. As an old fart I grew up with proper persimmon woods and they just didn’t get anywhere near as high as the modern metal stuff. Perfect tool for a windy links course.
Ewan Murray was banging on about this yesterday which was tiresome to say the least.
Luke Donald and Nick Faldo summed it up better, the PGA tour is one dimensional, courses are similar every week (drive and short iron) and they basically follow the sunshine. PGA Tour Pros don’t have the experience of playing in these conditions, both weather and course.