2024 Troon Open

Barking_Mad

Visit site
The wind in the morning was pretty much a wafting breeze, yes it was affecting shots but by the afternoon it had really picked up. It was also ‘back to front’ as a local described it on the train so I’m guessing the players hadn’t had an opportunity to practice the conditions.
It was particularly brutal on the postage stamp, as the massive grandstand was shielding the tee, and the flag was tucked behind a dune - but it was howling above and around the end if the stand.
Sat their for a few hours from the Matt Wallace and Laurie Canter group all the way through to Rory’s group and the final bunch of Rory, Hatton and Homa were the only 3 to all find the green.
They said on the TV that they'd purposefully not put a flag on the grandstand at the Postage Stamp.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
They said on the TV that they'd purposefully not put a flag on the grandstand at the Postage Stamp.

There were flags over on the grandstand on the 7th, and they were full on flapping in the wind but thats really all the players could see.
From the angle we were sat, it looked like the players were managing to land the ball on the green in line with the flag, but the left to right momentum they had coming down was causing them to roll into the front right bunker.
Great hole to watch golf on though 👍

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Ewan Murray was banging on about this yesterday which was tiresome to say the least.
Luke Donald and Nick Faldo summed it up better, the PGA tour is one dimensional, courses are similar every week (drive and short iron) and they basically follow the sunshine. PGA Tour Pros don’t have the experience of playing in these conditions, both weather and course.

It’s why i prefer the European Tour - it’s a more diverse set of courses

The other tours are looking to be set up to produce birdies which is what the crowds want to see

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It wasn’t - but there was a distinct strengthening of the wind as the day went on.
Yup, and I'm not trying to suggest it wasn't windy, it was and the wind clearly affected the scoring, but it was hardly the carnage that you'd think the way some of the commentators were talking.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Yup, and I'm not trying to suggest it wasn't windy, it was and the wind clearly affected the scoring, but it was hardly the carnage that you'd think the way some of the commentators were talking.
The difference was the wind changed to be in the faces of the players on the front 9 which are supposed to be the scoring holes and then caused havoc on the holes going back

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The difference was the wind changed to be in the faces of the players on the front 9 which are supposed to be the scoring holes and then caused havoc on the holes going back
Not sure that it caused havoc on the holes coming back. 16&18 were I think the easiest on the course.10&11 are just very tough holes whatever the conditions and would probably be worse in a headwind though the element of left to right didn't help.
Yes the wind wasn't the prevailing wind but alterations in wind direction are hardly unusual in a maritime climate and professional golfers should be able to cope and many did.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only seen a very little bit, but I like this weather and wind … it’s good to see an Open course show it’s teeth.
As I have stated I found it amazing that lot of these + hcp players and professionals don’t have elevation or spin control, I do wonder if that’s just a consequence of modern equipment

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I quite enjoy watching these pampered darlings struggling in conditions that us mere mortals encounter quite often in our weekly knocks.;)

And as for course/conditions management, for some it was non-existant. :whistle:

TigerTime

Visit site
I think the wind later today and tomorrow will determine who wins this tournament.

If Scheffler can get round in -2/3 today I suspect he takes the crown tomorrow.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Probably the wind direction changing from the previous day.
It was also gusting then calm.
Heavy warm air as well.
Unusual weather for around here.

Still did not excuse pretty awful play from many of the players though.
One of those days.
Like when I once won a Stableford comp with 34 points OCB from about 8 others.
Many members scored better but did not bother to hand their cards in.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Love to know which forecast you are quoting
I'm local to Troon and it is nothing like that........light showers and a gentle breeze here, no showers so far.
Perfect scoring conditions here and looks like the same on the course.
Looks good for tomorrow

Probably the BBC - they could forecast cool temperatures and persistent rain on the surface of the sun…