2024 Troon Open

Barking_Mad

Visit site
The only disappointment is it's not due to be as windy over the weekend. 😭

Hard watching Rory but it's great to see pros being beaten up. 😊👍

Lowry certainly got the great end of the draw as far as weather goes.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did you? I only really watch the majors and the Ryder, and I've never seen or heard of this lad! I keep a vague eye on the European tour results because of the fantasy league but I've never seen his name on there either.
I do watch a lot of golf on the TV, not necessarily the PGA tour as there are plenty of players that I have never heard of. People like Dan Brown, Jordan Smith, Matthew Jordan etc have made significant progress over the last couple of years on the European tour.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My brain simply can't compute the scorecard colours and have to look at the par/score to register what it is every single time. Rubbish.

Love Rory but hate how he can't seem to just grind a score when it's not all working for him. Maybe the marriage guidance have suggested he spend more time at home...

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My brain simply can't compute the scorecard colours and have to look at the par/score to register what it is every single time. Rubbish.

Love Rory but hate how he can't seem to just grind a score when it's not all working for him. Maybe the marriage guidance have suggested he spend more time at home...
Agree. I think he's having quite a few blonde moments.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice to see Mickleson in a pair of joggers as he is honouring a bet he made with Grant Horvat on YouTube. after failing to beat him in an 18 hole match.
He gave Grant five shots over the round.

Swango1980

Visit site
Sky showing coverage of Rory why? 13 over no chance of making cut
I assume you already know the answer, which is the same when people ask why Sky show Tiger.

It's because many people still enjoy watching McIlroy play golf, and potentially the biggest draw right now in golf.

The other reason being that many golfers at top end of leaderboard have already finished. Not many playing now who are likely to be in contention come Sunday night. So, rather than fill the coverage with advertisements, the broadcasters probably suspect it is a good idea to show some McIlroy.

Come weekend, when all leaders are out at end, clearly the majority of coverage will be from the best of the field, and less of and big names towards the back of the field who made cut.

Swango1980

Visit site
Is there anything finer than seeing a professional golfer hit a ball off target and end up in a giant patch of gorse bushes?

(sorry Max Homa!)
I'm enjoying it. Jeopardy on every shot, just like it is for me at the weekend. Sunday evening could be thoroughly entertaining, pressure on every shot, even if someone has a 2 or 3 shot lead.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it just me who thinks the skill levels of this group of Open players is not very good.
Shape of shot seems to have lost out to length of shot.
Yep. I’m no links expert, but if it’s windy the modern drivers just don’t seem to work on links courses. The modern driver hits the ball too high for windy conditions. As an old fart I grew up with proper persimmon woods and they just didn’t get anywhere near as high as the modern metal stuff. Perfect tool for a windy links course.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of our green keepers is at Troon this week and has been “operating a rake” during the first two rounds. He says that the wind is much worse than it appears on TV.