2022 Professional golf thread

Swango1980

Visit site
That's a bit disrespectful, I'm sure the younger players should just pack in now then?

I'm pretty sure Liverpoolphil was simply referring to their current World Ranking, when defining "low quality". Maybe some of the young players will go on to exceed Tiger's achievements in the game, but they need to first prove themselves by climbing the rankings, and start showing some good results against the current elite golfers.

However, if it is an event with no highly ranked golfers in the world, then it is clearly a low quality field, relatively speaking.

D

Deleted member 3432

?‍♂️

Maybe have a look at the world rankings of the field , don’t think there is anyone in the top 100

That's because the points on offer are crap :rolleyes:

You can be a journeyman in the states, never win and be in top 50 in world.

Couple of wins this season on ET and be around 170 in world.

What do you suggest, move lock stock and barrel to another continent and start from scratch..?

Not going to get many starts with those rankings and behind Korn on the Cob Tour in the pecking order

Swango1980

Visit site

What do you suggest, move lock stock and barrel to another continent and start from scratch..?

Not going to get many starts with those rankings and behind Korn on the Cob Tour in the pecking order
Presumably that is because these journeymen are often playing in much stronger fields, and perform well enough to make cuts and earn those ranking points?

If you want to prove you are, or will become one of the best players in the world, then yes, you need to move to a place where you can compete with the current best players. Clearly. Otherwise, you could just be like the North Korean leader, and claim you are an elite golfer but never actually have to prove yourself to anyone.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I kinda think both of you are a bit right.
Reckon the previous ogwr system did lend itself to keeping inflated rankings to the 'also rans' on the PGAT.
The changes last month (to strokes gained) I think were an attempt to address that a bit. Will take time to balance, but also fear that may be negated a bit by the typical PGAT course set up.
Ultimately no ranking system is perfect, trying to decide if a top 10 in one tournament equates to a win in a less strong field elsewhere is tough.

Swango1980

Visit site
Deliberate or not, the number of world ranking points available are driven by the prize money on offer
I didn't think that factored into the ranking equation. In fact, were people not saying that the Korn Ferry Tour often awarded more World Ranking Points than some DP World Tour events? I was under the assumption prize money was less on the Korn Ferry Tour?

Also, no world ranking points for LIV, despite all it's prize money. Although, in fairness, that is just exhibition stuff :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I didn't think that factored into the ranking equation. In fact, were people not saying that the Korn Ferry Tour often awarded more World Ranking Points than some DP World Tour events? I was under the assumption prize money was less on the Korn Ferry Tour?

Also, no world ranking points for LIV, despite all it's prize money. Although, in fairness, that is just exhibition stuff :)

If you made Denmark a rolex event or offered a couple mill to the winner the higher ranked pgat pot hunters will soon show up

Swango1980

Visit site
If you made Denmark a rolex event or offered a couple mill to the winner the higher ranked pgat pot hunters will soon show up
Isn't that just normal?

There may be an unbelievable young footballer playing for some Brazilian or Nigerian club side. However, if they want to prove themselves to actually being one of the best players in the world, they are not going to stay there. They'll have to go to one of the big European teams, and the money is generally significantly greater there because that is were the best players play.

Sure, if you swapped the prize money between the PGA Tour events and the DP World Tour events, then many of the better players would start moving across to Europe again, and you'd start to see more ranking points distributed on the DP World Tour events.

I apologise for not understanding your initial point. Yes, basically, generally the best players will congregate where the highest prize money is, along with generally remaining in a position where they can continue to compete with the best. I thought you meant prize money was directly factored into the rankings equation.

D

Deleted member 15344

Or because all the major European players are taking a week off after the Fed Ex and before the PGA

And journey men in the states play against a higher quality of player hence they have higher ranking points

D

Deleted member 3432

Or because all the major European players are taking a week off after the Fed Ex and before the PGA

And journey men in the states play against a higher quality of player hence they have higher ranking points

Plenty of points getting awarded on the Korn on the Cob Tour and there's some right old ploughing machines on that....

Pga Tour is making sure its looking after American interests and letting the rest of the world fight for scraps...

I suspect there could be scope for the rest of the world to form some sort of Tour to make the game a little more global :unsure:

D

Deleted member 15344

Plenty of points getting awarded on the Korn on the Cob Tour and there's some right old ploughing machines on that....

Pga Tour is making sure its looking after American interests and letting the rest of the world fight for scraps...

I suspect there could be scope for the rest of the world to form some sort of Tour to make the game a little more global :unsure:
Do you mean the KF Tour Championship which still has higher ranked players than what’s in Denmark

BubbaP

Visit site
Probably only a few watching, but a HIO from Wolff, a minute later Cam Smith hits the flagstick and ricochets off the green. Fine margins.

Edit: then Cam chips in!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
They seem very short on cameras though. Are there even any fixed ones, or is it just a couple of mobile ones following two groups. Seems to be the same handful of players being shown even though there is a big group in contention.

BubbaP

Visit site
What a great 7 wood from C Smith on 18, hanging lie, drawn over the trees.
Props to S Kim going from shooting 87 to 63 !
Niemann seemed to lip out so many putts, and Johnson also left a few on the edge.