2022 Professional golf thread

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's only because the Frittelli situation was very unusual that the rule was overlooked, had the ball been on the ground then it would have been obvious to anyone with some knowledge of the rules that playing astride the line is not allowed, just because the ball is in a tree doesn't change the rule.

By standing as he did, Frittelli made that particular shot easier to play compared to if he'd stood correctly to the side of the ball.

D

Deleted member 15344

I disagree very strongly with this. :LOL::poop:

Of course you do - it’s clear from previous posting that you have both a clear lax attitude towards the rules and a lack of understanding of their needs - fine if playing in social games - poor if in club comps

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course you do - it’s clear from previous posting that you have both a clear lax attitude towards the rules and a lack of understanding of their needs - fine if playing in social games - poor if in club comps
That is nonsense. The link between what he did and the rule he apparently broke is tenuous at best. Everyone accepts that the rule was intended to cover putting specifically. When he swings back the club still goes over his shoulder (not through his legs), and the ball goes forward with a curve to the left so not even directly the way he's facing. I think to categorically say he broke that rule is total rubbish. Look at it the other way, if no penalty had been given or discussed, would you have swathes of people complaining that he broke the rules? Of course you wouldn't.

D

Deleted member 15344

That is nonsense. The link between what he did and the rule he apparently broke is tenuous at best. Everyone accepts that the rule was intended to cover putting specifically. When he swings back the club still goes over his shoulder (not through his legs), and the ball goes forward with a curve to the left so not even directly the way he's facing. I think to categorically say he broke that rule is total rubbish. Look at it the other way, if no penalty had been given or discussed, would you have swathes of people complaining that he broke the rules? Of course you wouldn't.

He broke the rule as assessed by PGA Tour qualified referees - it is as simple as that.

sunshine

Visit site
Look at it the other way, if no penalty had been given or discussed, would you have swathes of people complaining that he broke the rules? Of course you wouldn't.

You're forgetting this is a golf forum. The rules experts would have descended en masse to debate this vigorously.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sky is raving about Jay Haas being the oldest player to make a cut, older than Sam Snead, but I assume Snead made his in a singles event, whereas Jay did it in a team event. Not quite the same, though. Great achievement, for sure, but all-time record?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Jack Newton passed away.
Good golfer of his time, sadly lost an arm and an eye in a plane propeller accident.
RIP
Sad to hear! I remember watching him play on TV in my home town the year he was in a playoff for NZ Open (I was hoping for a Bob Charles win of course, but neither did). And can remember being shocked about the accident.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
This weeks Tour Event is pairs.... can't help thinking, although this seems less interesting, it makes a nice change from the usual.

However, why not make it mixed pairs? Would really be different then and generate more publicity.

I tried to watch it, but is has a feeling of pointlessness. I wouldnt count it as a proper win for whatever pair finish top either. Nor the Jay Haas thing. It just doesnt count for real.
The weakness is the lack of any point to any pairing, which is essential to making an individual sport work beyond the individual : country, club, college, the likes of the Ryder and Solheim, or the Canada Cup of old. Its just two random players that have no meaning as a combination. So the 'win' has no meaning as a result.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I actually like trying to work out why they paired up. Not that I ever get any answers, but it's fun to wonder. Some are obviously good mates or those that have paired in the past, but ones like Morikawa and Hovland for example - I wonder if they are mates or whether one just phones up the other and says "see you don't have a partner this week.. fancy it? We'll smash that."

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I actually like trying to work out why they paired up. Not that I ever get any answers, but it's fun to wonder. Some are obviously good mates or those that have paired in the past, but ones like Morikawa and Hovland for example - I wonder if they are mates or whether one just phones up the other and says "see you don't have a partner this week.. fancy it? We'll smash that."

That particular pairing was actually reported in the golf media. Morikawa basically stalked Hovland and finally cornered him when both playing in the far East a few months ago

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If anyone is thinking some fairway bunkers aren't challenging enough for the better players - earlier Mr Champ flushed a 3 wood from one, with over 170 mph ball speed apparently (although maybe that was commentator's opinion)

D

Deleted member 15344

Just turned on the golf to watch The British Masters and instead it’s “early group coverage” from the US ?‍♂️