2022 Professional golf thread

sunshine

Visit site
Matt Fitzpatrick looks set for another good finish. Is he becoming our version of Matt Kuchar? Doesn't really threaten to win but racks up good finishes, and paydays, on a pretty regular basis.

What does he need to take that next step ?

What does he need?
1. Better ball striking. His excellent short game masks the fact he doesn’t hit it anywhere near the distance of the top players, and he can’t hit the towering irons to access the tight pins. He has a flat trajectory.
2. More bottle. He has looked like a rabbit in the headlights in the Ryder Cup. Doesn’t look like someone who could hold a lead on the final day of a major.

This sounds a bit harsh, he’s having a great career, but I don’t yet see him as competing with the very best in the world.

D

Deleted member 1147

Matt Fitzpatrick looks set for another good finish. Is he becoming our version of Matt Kuchar? Doesn't really threaten to win but racks up good finishes, and paydays, on a pretty regular basis.

What does he need to take that next step ?

Luck - that's normally what separates the winners from the other top few placings.

Jason.H

Visit site
Up to 18 in the world rankings is really something to be praised. He’s got as good a chance as anyone for the Open where it’s not all about distance

sunshine

Visit site
Current earnings on the US tour, $2.2m. Hard to walk away from that at his age. It's cash machine stuff with his ability.

Does playing the US tour toughen you up, improve your game, or does it grind you down? Depends on your character I guess.

I think the point was that if he wants to win events he should switch to an easier tour ;)

D

Deleted member 1147

Looked on for a 59 as well for a while. I can't see him carrying it all 4 days, but who knows, seems to be a crazily scorable course.
It's not that common for players to shoot 4 very low rounds. There are normally a couple of average to low rounds in there as well as the very low.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looked on for a 59 as well for a while. I can't see him carrying it all 4 days, but who knows, seems to be a crazily scorable course.
Radar was quite disparaging last night, terming it a resort course. The greens are very true and with little break to make them tricky for players at that level (again his comment). Without the wind picking up, it's main defence, it seems to be quite easy for the pro's.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Radar was quite disparaging last night, terming it a resort course. The greens are very true and with little break to make them tricky for players at that level (again his comment). Without the wind picking up, it's main defence, it seems to be quite easy for the pro's.

Seems like a common US type course. World of difference to the testing course they played last week

Newtonuti

Visit site
PhillyMick pulls out of the PGA..
Has he gone for good or is there a way back...?

Part of me just can't see him coming back on the PGA anytime soon, if at all. I reckon he'll either say sod it, and go full LIV and drop his PGA card, or go onto the senior tour where a lot of patrons are a bit older and less likely to chastise him for the comments he made.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Part of me just can't see him coming back on the PGA anytime soon, if at all. I reckon he'll either say sod it, and go full LIV and drop his PGA card, or go onto the senior tour where a lot of patrons are a bit older and less likely to chastise him for the comments he made.
Assuming you mean the PGA Tour, then mostly agree, but this is the PGA Championship which is different.
I expected him to play the 4 majors not run by the PGA Tour.
Once the dust settles will be interesting to hear the tales, is this more about keeping 'it all being about him', or was pressure being applied behind the scenes, or ....

Just like with the statement from the Masters committee, the PGA of America statement is worded to suggest he is eligible and welcome - it is his decision

Newtonuti

Visit site
Assuming you mean the PGA Tour, then mostly agree, but this is the PGA Championship which is different.
I expected him to play the 4 majors not run by the PGA Tour.
Once the dust settles will be interesting to hear the tales, is this more about keeping 'it all being about him', or was pressure being applied behind the scenes, or ....

Just like with the statement from the Masters committee, the PGA of America statement is worded to suggest he is eligible and welcome - it is his decision

Yes sorry bud, meant the PGA tour (y)