2019 Season Goals

Wolf

Visit site
I have a few goals this season, tried to have a few different type of goals so they are not all results based.

Qualify for B class championship
Win a comp
Play some opens
Top 15 order of merit
48% GIR for comp rounds
80% FIR for comp rounds
Birdie every hole over the course of the year
No double digit scores for comp rounds

The main goal is the B class championship. I would need to get down to 15.4 or below from 17.3 by the end of June to qualify. I hope I can do it. I have had some good results at the end of the year, and have managed to iron out some swing faults so far over the winter.

But really at the end of the year as long as I am lower than I started and have enjoyed myself then I'll be happy. With my first child due in April, I'm aware that playing time will not be a free has it has been, so I hope a new perspective of enjoying the time I have will result in lower scores.
That's an ambitious goal, the leading PGA tour player came in somewhere at 78% so would be some achievement.

Do like the sound of your goals though and the specifics of them, I'm actually at work tonight going to sit down and drill my down to more specifics especially as I'm in for a quiet night

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's an ambitious goal, the leading PGA tour player came in somewhere at 78% so would be some achievement.

Do like the sound of your goals though and the specifics of them, I'm actually at work tonight going to sit down and drill my down to more specifics especially as I'm in for a quiet night

Yeah I know it is quite high, but last year for the 13 comps that I took stats for I was at 70%, I didn't start taking stats till mid way through the year though. At my course it should be doable as we don't have any tight holes etc. wide fairways help.

And yeah I went specific as in previous years I have just went I want to get handicap to this number and it hasn't worked for me. I get too involved in the number and eventually miss it by miles. So I now do sort of mix where doing the other goals will get me to where I want. Take my GIR for example, I only hit 24% last year and ended up coming down 1.4 shots so I figure that if I can double that then I should be able to get down further as I am giving myself more looks at birdies and pars.

For me it means even if I don't play well enough to get my handicap down then I have other things to look at achieving.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a few goals for the season:

Remain Cat 1
Average score across all rounds - 81

Track all stats
GIR average over 45% for the year
FIR average over 45% for the year
Scrambling over 38%
Average putts - 31

Make 100 birdies
Average par 5 score across the year: 5

Practice regularly

Enjoy Golf!

D

Deleted member 25172

To stop putting myself down, both on and off the course.

But in terms of measurable things, lower my handicap from 13 to 10.

How? Focus the practice on putting and my long irons mainly. Not saying I'm particularly good with the wedges, but as I tend to hit it fat when it's anything from about 160 yards and further from green, that is something that needs to be sorted.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm going to make a run for Cat 1. :eek: Eyes roll and coffee spat out across the nation, sorry folks, I know it's no cake-walk.

I may not make it but I'll give it a damn good try. I scored pretty well last season with ebay-bought clubs that I didn't know were wrong for me. Following a custom fitting in October for a new driver in which I had a quick play with irons too, I've replaced everything Regular in my bag with Stiff and while it's early days the results are staggering. My miss was a high weak fade that I thought was a result of my outsidey swing. That's something I'll continue to fight against/work with but the stiff-shafted clubs have straightened everything up massively. I've also comfortably gained 20+ yards carry with the TS3, which will make a huge difference at mine with the bunkering. I'm still not huge at 230 carry but it's enough, especially when even the bad ones go straightish and 200 (that club really is something). The long par 4s into the wind should in theory now be reachable in 2 (4 weren't really, at least not with the prevailing wind up, which it usually is), as are all three par 5s instead of just 1.

Plus my putting came on leaps and bounds towards the end of last season, so much so that I actually want to practice it now and I'm loving putting with the flag in. My putting was atrocious, comfortably 36+ putts every round including a few 3 putts, I made little outside 4 feet and I missed my share of them and all. Through experimentation I changed my grip so my hands naturally work together now and the face is actually square instead of toe up and open at address. I played the Old Course in the summer, hit loads of GIRs and missed everything. My caddy despaired, but gave me that nugget for which I will forever be grateful. I shortened my putter and completely changed my mindset, and the results are I no longer feel like "I just want to get off this green without a disaster", I'm thinking "hole it".

Put those factors together and it could be the year to go after it. And now I've said it here so you can all ridicule me in October when I'm off 12. :ROFLMAO:

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I've been cut to 1.9 and being a casual golfer these days, i'd be happy to maintain that. I play once every other week in the winter and once a week in the summer.

My focus will be on continuing to improve my putting.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've been cut to 1.9 and being a casual golfer these days, i'd be happy to maintain that. I play once every other week in the winter and once a week in the summer.

My focus will be on continuing to improve my putting.
Top effort sir for someone playing so infrequently! 👍

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm going to make a run for Cat 1. :eek: Eyes roll and coffee spat out across the nation, sorry folks, I know it's no cake-walk.

I was 8.2 at the beginning of March, and 5.2 by the beginning of June. Yes you can do it. If you're good enough to get to 8.6 you're good enough to make it to 5.

Admittedly I'd been down to 4.3 four years ago but allowed work to get in the way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The initial plan was very simple.

Get from 15-12. Check
Win a competition and qualify for the end of season "Masters". Check

So now I need to re-assess.
The new plan is to kick on and try and end the season at 11 or lower.

To achieve that I want to hit more than 55% of fairways and 25% of greens in regulation, 32 putts in regulation and most important for me a scramble stat of 25%. I might measure sand saves separately and think 15% is a modest but at the same time challenging opening target. I've said before my practice focus is mainly going to be short game based and I'll work hard on my putting. I need to try and find a balance between playing as often as I can and a structured practice regime,

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was 8.2 at the beginning of March, and 5.2 by the beginning of June. Yes you can do it. If you're good enough to get to 8.6 you're good enough to make it to 5.

Admittedly I'd been down to 4.3 four years ago but allowed work to get in the way.

Great to hear chap thanks, that’s a great drop fair play to you 👍🏻