10 minute intervals

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
They're a business.
The whole country are desperate to get the economy going and this club is no different.
8 minutes is perfectly ample gap, I fail to see where there's any "greed".

Well if you can't see it, that's your issue

Coz I see greed
But I have not seen any sign of gratitude, respect, loyalty..... To the membership that paid fees throughout the closure

Many whom suffered through this period too

But hey Ho....... I'm obviously wrong

You crack on......

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
What adverse effect has this change from 10 to 8 minutes had?

You're missing the point
They've taken visitors from day one on Wednesday
The only club I'm aware of
Seen the market for visitors
Now exploiting it

Not an ounce of loyalty shown to members

Now switching to 8mins intervals
To achieve more tee times and accommodate more visitors, as the nomadic golfer can't play anywhere else really local

The cut in intervals..... Adverse effect

I don't know yet...... I'm at work not at the club
But quite clearly
More tee times
Equals more people
Car park more crowded
The idea of spacing out was to reduce footfall so people weren't falling over each other, plus allowing members only, more traceability for the club if there was any incidents of any nature

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club has 8 minute gaps between tee times. It works absolutely fine, with no social distancing problems.

Our first hole is a par 4, and in all three rounds I've played since Wednesday, the group in front has just finished the hole before we've even teed off.

Visit site
Our normal 4ball time is 4hrs 15. Last Saturday, our two ball went round in 3hrs 17min. But it's true......I'm getting on a bit..........I was pretty knackered at the end!!
I won't mind four balls returning, it will give me a chance to get my breath back.
And returning to the thread, the 10minute interval meant that we never had to wait, and we never had anyone behind us. Worked a treat.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played again today - lovely day - golf was not great but don’t care. We went round in 3hrs 10mins which was nice pace.

But one irritant related to the starting interval. As we were on the 1st green the pair behind us appeared over the top of the hill - they either teed off early or were on a mission to get round ASAP. Not for one hole were they 10 minutes behind us - in fact by the way they were playing they were clearly playing their normal ‘tear round the course‘ pace as one would often be putting out before the other had reached the green. They were a couple of lively seniors and I guess this was their normal pace, and among their usual Monday crew that’s how they play.

Now I’m all for letting groups through if they are faster than me but I am just thinking that at the moment we should simply play to keep the 10minutes separation - certainly whenever it looked like we were closing on the pair in front we held back a bit to give them space. But that didn’t stop the guys behind pushing and closing on us. I am afraid I was not at all inclined to let them play through and did give them an occasional glare...

Thoughts...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played again today - lovely day - golf was not great but don’t care. We went round in 3hrs 10mins which was nice pace.

But one irritant related to the starting interval. As we were on the 1st green the pair behind us appeared over the top of the hill - they either teed off early or were on a mission to get round ASAP. Not for one hole were they 10 minutes behind us - in fact by the way they were playing they were clearly playing their normal ‘tear round the course‘ pace as one would often be putting out before the other had reached the green. They were a couple of lively seniors and I guess this was their normal pace, and among their usual Monday crew that’s how they play.

Now I’m all for letting groups through if they are faster than me but I am just thinking that at the moment we should simply play to keep the 10minutes separation - certainly whenever it looked like we were closing on the pair in front we held back a bit to give them space. But that didn’t stop the guys behind pushing and closing on us. I am afraid I was not at all inclined to let them play through and did give them an occasional glare...

Thoughts...

I actually agree with this, to avoid this very situation I would call an end to groups playing through and ensure that well applied marshaling is used to keep the pace of play flowing. If you know you cannot play through, you settle in to the rhythm of the course on any day and keep your distance. As I mention though, marshals will need to keep an eye out for obvious gaps and, if needed, also tell groups to back off if they are closing the gap on the groups ahead.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I actually agree with this, to avoid this very situation I would call an end to groups playing through and ensure that well applied marshaling is used to keep the pace of play flowing. If you know you cannot play through, you settle in to the rhythm of the course on any day and keep your distance. As I mention though, marshals will need to keep an eye out for obvious gaps and, if needed, also tell groups to back off if they are closing the gap on the groups ahead.
We had this the other day.we teed off and were just walking on from our 2nd shots when the group behind teed off. Now we went 3 or 4 minutes early as there was a gap before us so they must have gone nearly 10 minutes early...
Anyway,,on the 4th we were looking for CVG's ball, they p,ayed and we just called them through, we were best part of 30-4₩ yards away from them, they carried on and we went back to our game.
The fact is that they shouldn't have been anywhere near us but it didnt create a problem in the end.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have a starter who enforces the 10 minute gap off the first, and also checks your time as you go past the first tee area to the 10th.
There has been members who have been told to walk the next hole as they had fallen back and were causing a delay.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ll add that they seniors behind us were playing off yellows as that’s I think what they do to get round quicker as the whites are quite a lot longer with much more risk off the tee. And of course as today was my only full round until next Monday earliest (the course is fully booked and unless someone drops out today was it) we played off the whites.

Visit site

Thoughts...
I think you were perfectly within your rights to be more than a little irritated if they were constantly on your backs. If you've nowhere to go ahead of you, it can be very unsettling in normal times. In the current climate, I'm surprised you didn't have a gentle word after the game.......... conducted in a socially distant kind of way!

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find it very strange, given the fact that clubs seem to be going to 8 minutes and even less, that England Golf haven't specified either that it is OK, or that it isn't. If they have, I certainly can't find it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you were perfectly within your rights to be more than a little irritated if they were constantly on your backs. If you've nowhere to go ahead of you, it can be very unsettling in normal times. In the current climate, I'm surprised you didn't have a gentle word after the game.......... conducted in a socially distant kind of way!
Oh they most certainly could have gone through and caught the pair in front of us. In normal circumstances if i was ten mins behind the group ahead of me then I might well let a quicker group through. I tend to not take the ‘you’ve nowhere to go‘ approach, I’ll just let them through.

But today we were deliberately falling back if we were closing on the group in front to maintain distance - and the 10min separation. So it often looked like we’d lost a hole - which we hadn’t. I was primed to say something if anything had been said to me in the car park. ?. I might speak with our club manager on this. When i am not going to be able to play 18 holes until a week on Saturday earliest because the course is fully booked I don’t need to feel pushed in the current circumstances by members who can most probably play every day. We should just keep our distance.