10 minute intervals

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know whether it is permissible to have a shorter gap between 2-balls? My club is operating a policy of 18 holes teeing off between 7.30 and 5.00 so 116 people can play every day. Everything is going well, in fact I loved my first game, millionaires golf, round in just over 3 hours without rushing. Like the old days, 40 years ago.

However some members have suggested that we could reduce to 9 or even 8 minute intervals, while maintaining all of our other measures. Safety wouldn't be compromised and more people could play every day (we have every tee time booked for the first six days). Their argument is that England Golf have produced 'guidelines' not instructions, so the minimum 10 minutes interval isn't mandatory. I'm very sceptical and think we should comply with England Golf until the situation changes.

Also there are rumours (unsubstantiated of course) that some clubs have already introduced intervals of less than 10 minutes.

Opinions would be very welcome

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I can't remember if it is my current club or my previous club, but I'm sure it used to be 8 minutes between 4 balls, 7 minutes between 3 balls and 6 minutes between 2 balls (foursomes comps days). If you're getting round in 3 hours (I'm not doubting it, it should be the norm for 2 balls), that's averaging 10 minutes a hole; do we need 400+ yards separation between 2 groups of 2 balls?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We have the same restriction. I've played 9 holes for the last 3 days, have flown round each time, under 90 minutes each time.

I get really frustrated bring held up, so it has been brilliant. Of course it will be a different story when 4 balls are allowed again, that's what slows things down, not the gap between tee times.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does anyone know whether it is permissible to have a shorter gap between 2-balls? My club is operating a policy of 18 holes teeing off between 7.30 and 5.00 so 116 people can play every day. Everything is going well, in fact I loved my first game, millionaires golf, round in just over 3 hours without rushing. Like the old days, 40 years ago.

However some members have suggested that we could reduce to 9 or even 8 minute intervals, while maintaining all of our other measures. Safety wouldn't be compromised and more people could play every day (we have every tee time booked for the first six days). Their argument is that England Golf have produced 'guidelines' not instructions, so the minimum 10 minutes interval isn't mandatory. I'm very sceptical and think we should comply with England Golf until the situation changes.

Also there are rumours (unsubstantiated of course) that some clubs have already introduced intervals of less than 10 minutes.

Opinions would be very welcome

We have started with 10 minute intervals but only 9 holes, therefore more people get play. Not all teetimes have been used during the week so it will be 18 holes from Monday. I’m not sure if that will be enough space for all who want to play unless there is a restriction on how many you can play per week.

My hope is that when 3/4 balls are allowed that our club keep the 10 minute intervals instead of going back to our usual 8 minutes.

D

Deleted Member 1156

We have been 8 minute intervals since Wednesday and it has worked absolutely fine. Got round 9 holes in 1hr20 as a 2ball.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We’re 8 minutes as well, for two balls.

it used to be 8 minutes for fourballs in comps, so there is plenty of time!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Since we started Wednesday, we have been 2-balls, 9-holes, 6-minute intervals and things have flowed perfectly well. However, we are moving today to 18-holes and I fear there will be issues as our norm is 8-minutes.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why do you fear issues?

I think there has been a mental attitude that we must get on with things so that as many members as possible get a game after this long lay-off. The attitude has definitely been "I won't insist on looking for a ball for 3 minutes in case I cause a hold-up". I'm not sure why but I just have a feeling that old habits will start creeping in when a full round is played. I have to say that I was highly sceptical that the 6-minute intervals had any chance of working.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
!0 minutes 50 minutes it don't matter...got stuck behind two morons in orange shirts who held us up for all of the back nine on Thursday

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
2 balls or 10 min tee intervals having the bigger effect on pace of play? both will be having a positive effect for sure (as will lack of competitive golf)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have already said on another thread that 10 minutes is really being over cautious where I play, Our normal time for a 4 ball friendly is 7/8 minutes alternate. Both days I have played it has been one group per hole. The players in front having left the green each time before we teed off .

Mandofred

Visit site
Since we started Wednesday, we have been 2-balls, 9-holes, 6-minute intervals and things have flowed perfectly well. However, we are moving today to 18-holes and I fear there will be issues as our norm is 8-minutes.
The guidelines set out a minimum of 10 minute intervals between groups....which clubs are playing with less than 10 min intervals?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The guidelines set out a minimum of 10 minute intervals between groups....which clubs are playing with less than 10 min intervals?

The decision at our place must have been that it was excessive for 2-balls as it was decided 2-balls only. In practice, pairs were very seldom having to wait to play shots. It was the norm that the pair in front had teed off on the next hole before we even got near the green. 1.5 hours or less was the norm for the allowed 9 holes. The decision did mean that many more people desperate to play were able to do so.

Mandofred

Visit site
The decision at our place must have been that it was excessive for 2-balls as it was decided 2-balls only. In practice, pairs were very seldom having to wait to play shots. It was the norm that the pair in front had teed off on the next hole before we even got near the green. 1.5 hours or less was the norm for the allowed 9 holes. The decision did mean that many more people desperate to play were able to do so.
So they decided to break the rules so more people could play?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are at 10 min intervals, and when we can increase from 2 balls the times will stay as they are till when we can dispense with tee times and revert to how it was.
Surely it's better to be safe than sorry?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
10 minute intervals should be the norm. Was at my old club. Allows better dispersion of groups. No good for pace of play if the group on the first tee hasn’t cleared the first green. Just asking for hold ups.

Mandofred

Visit site
Rules? I'm sure many proprietary clubs look upon it as guidance.
I'm not too sure how you can twist things like that. I've copied the guidelines below from England Golf for golf courses reopening. I take the wording to mean you have to do it. I don't see how it can be taken do it if you feel like it.
----------------------------
2.Before the Round
Bookings
•Clubs/facilities to organise a system of booking and allocation of tee times that ensures the safety of staff and golfers
•The maximum number of golfers in a group per tee time to be confirmed by the club/facility and must be in accordance with any government requirements
•There is to be a minimum of 10-minute intervals between tee times,but longer intervals may be more appropriate depending on the club/facility