10 minute intervals

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, with courses fully booked and everyone evenly spread out I'm with you on this, nobody is playing through. It's not like it's slow is it.
They might not have been rushing though, just their normal pace.
I have no doubt it would have been their normal pace and modus operandi in a four ball - but as a two ball they just needed to slow down. We were round in a nice and steady 3hrs 10mins. Lovely day. Enjoying our course and being grateful for being back out.

PaulS

Visit site
Perhaps they dont read this forum or know how many clubs are blatantly ignoring their guidance
The EG have given “guidance” and some clubs have confirmed with them that other size gaps are acceptable provided that social distancing rules can be adhered too. As long as the club is following the social distancing rules then what’s wrong with 8 mins ?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no problem with any gap between tee times as long as the distancing is observed. I think the situation requires strong and regular marshaling until people become used to the current normal. It is strange and some will comply better than others but the next few weeks need to be used to drum the right practices into everyone as they need to be second nature once bigger and mixed number groups are allowed

PaulS

Visit site
I'm not sure where I have said there is anything wrong with.
Clubs are supposed to be run by adults. E.G. Has stated what they want to happen and clubs should follow the instructions or they can go down the same route as the knob head that the SAR helicopter is having to deal with in N Devon at the moment. Simple really.

E.G. Say 10 min others know better, nothing changes then.

Just comparing them to people who needed to get the SAR team out ?

Quite a few posts being critical of clubs that are going 8 mins

So it there nothing wrong with it or are they run by the same knobs head as you call them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ll add that they seniors behind us were playing off yellows as that’s I think what they do to get round quicker as the whites are quite a lot longer with much more risk off the tee. And of course as today was my only full round until next Monday earliest (the course is fully booked and unless someone drops out today was it) we played off the whites.
We can play off any tee we want but if you have a starter on the tee doing the job properly, then people can't get off early. Working a treat at our place at the moment. If people were pushing me from behind I'd find a convenient spot (where holes up and down or a tee and green are pretty close) and simply tell them their behaviour is unacceptable, you have maintained position and safe distancing as required and that if they persist you'll report them to the club. Unless we take a firm stance now, people will take liberties and push. Just my point of view

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The EG have given “guidance” and some clubs have confirmed with them that other size gaps are acceptable provided that social distancing rules can be adhered too. As long as the club is following the social distancing rules then what’s wrong with 8 mins ?
Can't see any changes on E.G. Web site, any chance of pointing us in the right section where its changed.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just comparing them to people who needed to get the SAR team out ?

Quite a few posts being critical of clubs that are going 8 mins

So it there nothing wrong with it or are they run by the same knobs head as you call them
Some are happy to go by the official guidance some knob heads know better and do their own thing. Their choice.

PaulS

Visit site
Can't see any changes on E.G. Web site, any chance of pointing us in the right section where its changed.

No one has said there has been any changes - EG gave out guidelines on what they recommend for timings , some courses are adjusting that based on the layout of their course and the make up of the membership. I know one course contacted them to ask about 8 mins because their course set up allowed it and it helped them get more members on.

It was a guidance not a rule as opposed to the 2 ball with one person outside your household which is a rule.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No one has said there has been any changes - EG gave out guidelines on what they recommend for timings , some courses are adjusting that based on the layout of their course and the make up of the membership. I know one course contacted them to ask about 8 mins because their course set up allowed it and it helped them get more members on.

It was a guidance not a rule as opposed to the 2 ball with one person outside your household which is a rule.

layout of the course and make up of the membership? seriously

at least be honest and admit golf courses think they know better than the guidance and purely want to get more players out there to keep their members happier rather than the 2 complete bluffs above

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sorry to say there is no change to E.G. Safe to Play instructions. If you let me know the one course you know contacted them I can give E.G. and county a ring to get our timings changed.

PaulS

Visit site
layout of the course and make up of the membership? seriously

at least be honest and admit golf courses think they know better than the guidance and purely want to get more players out there to keep their members happier rather than the 2 complete bluffs above

Yes course layout - if the course is set up in a way that allows them to have 8 minute gaps and keep to all social distancing rules then what’s the issue ?

And if it allows more paying members to play , people who have paid through the times it’s been closed then I can’t see an issue.

A 2 ball going off at 8 min gaps will still complete the hole before the group behind them start.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes course layout - if the course is set up in a way that allows them to have 8 minute gaps and keep to all social distancing rules then what’s the issue ?

And if it allows more paying members to play , people who have paid through the times it’s been closed then I can’t see an issue.

A 2 ball going off at 8 min gaps will still complete the hole before the group behind them start.

as a well known poster wouldve once asked, if youre happy to break that guidance, what other guidance is it ok to break? the issue is what other guidance gets broken and why do golf clubs/golfers think they know better than the guidance?

This is just another example of certain sections of golf clubs and golfers arrogance and entitlement, who on the other hand will happily slag off cyclists, people in the park/beach etc

But hey its a golf forum so thats ok.......

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What is the course layout/set-up for 8 mins out of interest?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is the problem in the word guidance..?
CONGU Decision 23/3/2020 (Updated 05/05/2020, further update 11/05/2020)

** When golf returns you must follow the guidance set out by your National Union as well as ........ **

England Golf - Play Safe 11 May 2020

There is to be a minimum of 10-minute intervals between tee times, but longer intervals may be more appropriate depending on the club/facility

PaulS

Visit site
What is the course layout/set-up for 8 mins out of interest?

I guess a short hole to start , members are clear within under 8 mins , potentially even a par 3. If they believe the social distancing rules can be adhered too whilst going to 8 mins then I guess it’s up them. Mendip Springs near us has gone to 8 mins whilst we stay at 10.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I guess a short hole to start , members are clear within under 8 mins , potentially even a par 3. If they believe the social distancing rules can be adhered too whilst going to 8 mins then I guess it’s up them. Mendip Springs near us has gone to 8 mins whilst we stay at 10.

We open with a par 3 (only 165 off the yellows - 220 off the whites) and still adhere to 10 minutes. It means the group in front have played off the second tee and probably their second shots too so it sets a great distance from the outset. Our starter has been very strict about allowing people teeing off on time and not early. I can't understand how if the guidelines from EGU say 10 minutes why a club would want to break that, other than for greed and to get as many people out. If they are letting visitors on, it is for the money only, but also seems disrespectful to the members who have paid and their cash will have helped keep the club afloat during lockdown. 10 minutes gap was given for a reason. Keep people spaced, keep it flowing and comply with EGU guidance. I wonder what would happen if the local golf union of H&S came in and saw 8 minute gaps

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
specifying it has to be 10 minutes is sort of pointless. it should be down tio a club to ensure the games get off ok and that everyone knows the distancing rules. The onky time a group behind could be with the group in front is bunching on a tee - and that is not or should not happen with 2 balls - and even with 4 balls it would not happen if that was the clear instruction, which is fair and much more sensible than speciying tee intervals.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
specifying it has to be 10 minutes is sort of pointless. it should be down tio a club to ensure the games get off ok and that everyone knows the distancing rules. The onky time a group behind could be with the group in front is bunching on a tee - and that is not or should not happen with 2 balls - and even with 4 balls it would not happen if that was the clear instruction, which is fair and much more sensible than speciying tee intervals.

sort of pointless? is 2m SD sort of pointless? why are golf clubs and golfers above government advice when every other walk of life is having to follow rules and advice? arent golfers supposed to be the biggest upholders of a set of rules, should be perfect for this scenario

as for it not happening with clear instruction, its already happening, rules being broken at plenty of courses up and down the country (only have to read on here/social media etc) with the rules in place and will only deteriorate further when it goes back to 8 min intervals and 4 balls and there more than twice as many people out there

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
sort of pointless? is 2m SD sort of pointless? why are golf clubs and golfers above government advice when every other walk of life is having to follow rules and advice? arent golfers supposed to be the biggest upholders of a set of rules, should be perfect for this scenario

as for it not happening with clear instruction, its already happening, rules being broken at plenty of courses up and down the country (only have to read on here/social media etc) with the rules in place and will only deteriorate further when it goes back to 8 min intervals and 4 balls and there more than twice as many people out there

i am not talking of social distancing - just that why the need to specify to clubs tee time intervals. The objective is to keep people apart and as long as that is the priority at clubs there is no need for the extra rules. I think the the more rules there are to essentially achive the one core thing - keeping 2m apart - the worse the rules. The fact theat there will be rule infringements is nothing to do with 10 minute intervals, it is to do with idiots who cannot understand the one core message. Hence, keep a core set of rules from the top and let businesses enforce them