Your Club's Course Rating & Slope Index

User20204

Visit site
How many players' handicaps are accurate to 1 or 2 strokes anyway?

It's interesting reading you guys comments saying there won't be too much difference, yet it's my understanding (coming from others I have to admit) that those with a WHS in the states are much lower than they would ever likely to have if they played over here. I say that coming from people I know who have played with or caddied for US golfers over here.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
How..? Is each individual score (from the 8) multiplied by the slope differential for the tee that it was played from..?

So for me. I shoot a gross 84 from the white tees. My handicap score would be 8.6:

84 - 73.6 (course rating) = 10.4 x (113 / 137 (slope) ) = 8.6

And... I seem to remember reading that your average of 8 rounds is multiplied by 96%. Just to confuse things.

When the system is in place, each score will be calculated back to the 113 rating, so it doesn't matter what the slope rating for the course/tees you played on are.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Indeed! But, as I stated, I don't know of any where SSS is more than 1 less than Par ...
The SSS at my home course is 2 under par from the white tees and 3 under from the yellows.
For sure you certainly would expect a scratch golfer to have a few birdies, but for the handicap golfer it's a bit intimidating to know you are effectively 2 or 3 over before you've even hit your first shot!

Wolf

Visit site
Not sure how accurate it is but using the USGA link Pro ides earlier in this thread my course is:

Par 72, SSS 72
Slope 126, bogey rating 95.4

By those number on the calculator I get an extra shot.
Still no idea how it all works though...

Visit site
Ok ladies and gents, the Australian system is pretty much closely aligned to how the WHS is going to work for you back in the UK. For the insomniacs amoungst you, here is a link that gives you the best chance of understanding how the WHS is going to affect you and some explanation.

www.golf.org.au/handicappingandcourserating

Happy reading.
Long and short I’ve found since moving to Aus, your handicap won’t change much from what it was. You will probably end up getting two shots extra at really tough courses.dont worry about working it out. The scorecards are all automated and gives you the handicap for the day on the course you are playing....simples

Please don’t come back with Aus and Whs will be different, I give you it as an example of ONLY HOW IT WILL ROUGHLY WORK....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok ladies and gents, the Australian system is pretty much closely aligned to how the WHS is going to work for you back in the UK. For the insomniacs amoungst you, here is a link that gives you the best chance of understanding how the WHS is going to affect you and some explanation.

Happy reading.
Long and short I’ve found since moving to Aus, your handicap won’t change much from what it was. You will probably end up getting two shots extra at really tough courses.dont worry about working it out. The scorecards are all automated and gives you the handicap for the day on the course you are playing....simples

Please don’t come back with Aus and Whs will be different, I give you it as an example of ONLY HOW IT WILL ROUGHLY WORK....
My only observation on this is that the additional 2 shots will vary significantly across the range of handicaps - not everyone reading this is an 18 handicapper (for which that statement is reasonably indicative).

OLgolfer

Visit site

Happy reading.

This is really useful, especially the how to calculate handicap section.

If I’m reading correctly, for handicap purpose, each individual gross score is adjusted to account for course rating and slope for the tees played.

I’m looking forward to this system being implemented. Much better than the 0.1 and buffers we currently have. It will hopefully be a truer reflection of our current playing ability and there will be less vanity handicaps.

And for someone like me who plays maybe 1 comp a month, being able to hand in scores for handicap from other courses is a huge step forward.

Hovisbap

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Living in Spain, I have always used the slope of the courses I play to adjust my official handicap to match the local players, I think it's a great system.

Attachments

• slope.jpg
    slope.jpg
    949.6 KB · Views: 15

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's interesting reading you guys comments saying there won't be too much difference, yet it's my understanding (coming from others I have to admit) that those with a WHS in the states are much lower than they would ever likely to have if they played over here. I say that coming from people I know who have played with or caddied for US golfers over here.

i get your point and agree, but they also count every score and up until recently could put a card in playing on their own among other things different to what we do and will be doing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The SSS at my home course is 2 under par from the white tees and 3 under from the yellows.
For sure you certainly would expect a scratch golfer to have a few birdies, but for the handicap golfer it's a bit intimidating to know you are effectively 2 or 3 over before you've even hit your first shot!
but you are forgetting the reason the SSS is low its not just easier for a scratch player, its everyone. The course close to where i live, short parkland, par 69 SSS 68, little or no rough, wide open fairways, no forced carries and pretty short, stableford scores are always mid 40 (from higher handicaps) and low 60 net scores every week. if it was as hard as you say the CSS would be going up every week?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reading the various posts the one downside of this that I can see is that suddenly it becomes very complicated, you will need to use a phone app or some other electronic device to establish what your h/c is now when you play somewhere. I appreciate that it helps transfer your h/c better around courses but for techno phobes, a lot of older golfers, or the casual golfer the system has suddenly become more difficult.

Hopefully putting it into practice is far more simple than how it looks written down. If we on here are struggling, and by the nature of being on this forum we are golf nerds, then how will the regular golfer cope?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Reading the various posts the one downside of this that I can see is that suddenly it becomes very complicated, you will need to use a phone app or some other electronic device to establish what your h/c is now when you play somewhere. I appreciate that it helps transfer your h/c better around courses but for techno phobes, a lot of older golfers, or the casual golfer the system has suddenly become more difficult.

Hopefully putting it into practice is far more simple than how it looks written down. If we on here are struggling, and by the nature of being on this forum we are golf nerds, then how will the regular golfer cope?
You only need to know your current handicap index....exactly the same as currently when you need to know your playing handicap.

The one difference is that you need to convert this to a playing handicap for the course and tees you are using - for most this will become as regular as relating your score to the known SSS of the course and tees you frequently play but it's still a step. Every course will have a table for you to use; many, many apps will be available to do the job for you if you prefer it that way.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That is a slightly daft approach to take - though perhaps understandable - to a degree!

If someone expressed that attitude, I'd simply ask 'Where did you get your handicap?' If, as would generally be the case, the answer was 'Here', then I'd suggest they consider how that happened on a course they believe is difficult to score well on! So much of Golf is attitude/approach/mindset! And if you go chasing birdies, they have a tendency to be hard to get!

Hovisbap

Assistant Pro
Visit site

No need for phones, just pick up the slope rating sheet from the office

Attachments

• slope.JPG
    slope.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 34

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is a slightly daft approach to take - though perhaps understandable - to a degree!

If someone expressed that attitude, I'd simply ask 'Where did you get your handicap?' If, as would generally be the case, the answer was 'Here', then I'd suggest they consider how that happened on a course they believe is difficult to score well on! So much of Golf is attitude/approach/mindset! And if you go chasing birdies, they have a tendency to be hard to get!
Yes, but you know only to well that the underlying issue (an inherent belief that the target is par) will never go away for the vast majority of players.
It's the 'in your face' reference point and is as automatic as assuming 36 stableford points is playing to your handicap (see the 26 billion posts that make that assumption on there every year for proof...).
It's all in the mind, it's flawed, but it's powerful

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You only need to know your current handicap index....exactly the same as currently when you need to know your playing handicap.

The one difference is that you need to convert this to a playing handicap for the course and tees you are using - for most this will become as regular as relating your score to the known SSS of the course and tees you frequently play but it's still a step. Every course will have a table for you to use; many, many apps will be available to do the job for you if you prefer it that way.
I understand but it is that extra conversion that complicates. I have to be honest, I don't think I have ever heard golfers talk about SSS outside of this forum. Most people turn up, mark their h/c on the card, play, record their score and away they go. Bar chat is never about SSS or CSS, but maybe that is just the circles I play in :D

I guess use of the table will ultimately be like when comps give you 90% of h/c, 7/8 etc so I guess we will get used to doing that. I'm pleased I follow this forum as it should have sunk in by the time the system is in place.

Hovisbap, thanks for the post.

I should add, I fully understand why the system has been brought in and that slope will be a good thing. It is just the enacting it that is not so simple.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bar chat is never about SSS or CSS, but maybe that is just the circles I play in :D
That is a little surprising as the CSS is used to determine any handicap adjustment. This will go of course. Handicaps will be adjusted on the basis of how you played, not everyone else.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Happy reading.
For those reading the section on Slope, note these references:
GA Handicap = Handicap Index
Daily Handicap = Course Handicap

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed! But, as I stated, I don't know of any where SSS is more than 1 less than Par (I meant to include that concept in the post you quoted, but apparently didn't! - it should have read 'much less than...). I have heard of quite a few older ones in Scotland that are now surrounded by housing and can't expand. I thought the pretty short, but lovely, East Berks might be one locally, but CSS is actually Par +2 - explained by some pretty smart design!

Oh and to answer your 1st question....Absolutely! That's the whole principle!

Where I play the SSS is 3 under the par. 68/71 (yellow Tees) this is mainly because our 3 par 5s are par rated on difficulty rather than distance.

On our 9 hole course the SSS is 4 under the Par 64/68.

Last edited: