Your Club's Course Rating & Slope Index

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just left the state as ‘(Select)’ and it worked for me
It is by no means up to date. I suspect they are only the ones that were rated previously especially for US visitors.
I tried looking for a few in England that I personally rated and the're not showing but others are

Edit: Belay that. It just looks as if they are just a bit behind England Golf.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whites Yellows

Par 72 72
SSS 73 71

Slope 127 124

Using the conversion tool my h/c goes up 2 shots. Will that actually happen or does it just mean that if I play to my current h/c when we cross over to this I should drop a couple of shots, or near to it?

Last edited:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
my course rating is 129.

I am a 12 handicap and it says I should be a 14 at my course!

Does that mean my course is harder than average?

D

Deleted member 21258

BD is 72.4 / 133 off whites
ME is 70.2 / 123 off whites (home course)

Still not quite sure how I convert my 9.5 at ME handicap to say BD handicap ? (do I have to convert first to a 113 course, then back up to the 133 course, if it is I think I get 2 extra shos at BD but still 10 at ME)

Is there a simple calculator available that converts from one course ratings to another course, rather than convert to 113 and then convert again? or am I being stupid ? Doh!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
my course rating is 129.

Yes! Or at least 'harder than 'standard'! I don't know of any courses with ratings 'less than standard', but I'd guess some of those wit SSS 2 or 3 lower than Par would be.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
my course rating is 129.

No
it either means it's relatively harder for the bogey golfer, and at 12 you are seeing some of that reflected in your playing handicap at that course.....
Or there is a difference between the rating and par for the tees you have selected (your handicap gets 'corrected' to be relevant to par)
Or a bit of both

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes! Or at least 'harder than 'standard'! I don't know of any courses with ratings 'less than standard', but I'd guess some of those wit SSS 2 or 3 lower than Par would be.
No
it either means it's relatively harder for the bogey golfer, and at 12 you are seeing some of that reflected in your playing handicap at that course.....
Or there is a difference between the rating and par for the tees you have selected (your handicap gets 'corrected' to be relevant to par)
Or a bit of both

Ok thanks.

Par 71. USGA Course rating 70.2. Slope rating 129 and bogey rating 94.

I am going to do some reading up as quite interested to understand fully what it all means

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Still not quite sure how I convert my 9.5 at ME handicap to say BD handicap ? (do I have to convert first to a 113 course, then back up to the 133 course, if it is I think I get 2 extra shos at BD but still 10 at ME)

Is there a simple calculator available that converts from one course ratings to another course, rather than convert to 113 and then convert again? or am I being stupid ? Doh!
I've experimented a bit with those numbers. Your Congu Handicap happens to be one that is convenient - as it''s the boundary from 9 to 10. So the highest Index that converts to 10 at ME is 8.8 - so will (for this exercise) will be your Index. That also converts to 10 at BD.

Here's the calculator....https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html

Btw. The numbers don't quite correspond to 9.5*113/123 but it's within 0.1, so pretty close.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've experimented a bit with those numbers. Your Congu Handicap happens to be one that is convenient - as it''s the boundary from 9 to 10. So the highest Index that converts to 10 at ME is 8.8 - so will (for this exercise) will be your Index. That also converts to 10 at BD.

Here's the calculator....https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html

Btw. The numbers don't quite correspond to 9.5*113/123 but it's within 0.1, so pretty close.
See post #8

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
See post #8
Yep, that's what I was trying to 'simulate'!

Of course, the value of Index isn't known, so I used the least one that indicated a playing handicap at ME of 10 (which is what 9.5 happens to be)!

Using the USGA provided calculator for the several calcs involved was/is faster than using a normal calculator, but either/both work.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know of any courses with ratings 'less than standard', but I'd guess some of those wit SSS 2 or 3 lower than Par would be.
Isn't the point of the slope rating to take account of the fact that the difficulty of a course can be different for scratch and bogey golfers?

A course with a SSS lower than par (ie. "easy for scratch golfers") isn't necessarly also easy for bogey golfers - in which case it may very well have a low course rating but a relatively high slope rating. I'm very much hoping this will be the case on my home course, which has a ridiculously low SSS (mainly because it's short) but is very tricky for handicap golfers.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Your handicap index is your handicap index regardless of where you are and which tees you are playing. Essentially it is the equivalent of your exact CONGU handicap.

You simply plug your index (9.5) into the formula/calculator and that is your Course Handicap

So for BD it is 11 and ME it is 10. The actual calculation result is rounded. 11.18 & 10.34

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Isn't the point of the slope rating to take account of the fact that the difficulty of a course can be different for scratch and bogey golfers?

A course with a SSS lower than par (ie. "easy for scratch golfers") isn't necessarly also easy for bogey golfers - in which case it may very well have a low course rating but a relatively high slope rating. I'm very much hoping this will be the case on my home course, which has a ridiculously low SSS (mainly because it's short) but is very tricky for handicap golfers.
Indeed! But, as I stated, I don't know of any where SSS is more than 1 less than Par (I meant to include that concept in the post you quoted, but apparently didn't! - it should have read 'much less than...). I have heard of quite a few older ones in Scotland that are now surrounded by housing and can't expand. I thought the pretty short, but lovely, East Berks might be one locally, but CSS is actually Par +2 - explained by some pretty smart design!

Oh and to answer your 1st question....Absolutely! That's the whole principle!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
my course rating is 129.

No. The 129 is the slope which simply indicates that the course is considered to be relatively more difficult for a bogey player than a scratch player.
Your Course Rating is the replacement for the SSS. ie the number of strokes a scratch player is expected to take. You are expected to round in 14 as opposed to 12

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your handicap index is your handicap index regardless of where you are and which tees you are playing. Essentially it is the equivalent of your exact CONGU handicap.

You simply plug your index (9.5) into the formula/calculator and that is your Course Handicap

So for BD it is 11 and ME it is 10. The actual calculation result is rounded. 11.18 & 10.34
But his Index (a Slope term) isn't 9.5! 9.5 is his Congu Handicap! The two values/metrics are not iactually comparable, let alone nterchangeable - except (maybe) for Scratch players! And that 'maybe' is because of the completely different method of calculating them!

But in order to simplify things, that's why I faffed about with the Calculator to get the first Index that would result in 'cap being 10 at ME - just as 9.5 is the first value that does.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok thanks.

Par 71. USGA Course rating 70.2. Slope rating 129 and bogey rating 94.

I am going to do some reading up as quite interested to understand fully what it all means
That means the scratch player is 'expected' to go round in 70 and the bogey player (20 +/-) in 94