Your clubs comp schedule and qualifying?

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think I’m probably a member at one of the clubs in the country with the best opportunities. 2 midweek medals and at least one Q every single weekend from April - November.

In addition, if you don’t want to enter the comp you can still play with people who are (non major comps). I did this today as I’m returning from surgery and couldn’t play all 18. Clubs should give people the options.

My 2nd club has a midweek and weekend Q every single week of the year.

Can’t be that good if only Q comps from
April to Nov - what about the other months of the year?!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was a big part of the decision in joining my new club

I prefer playing in competitions to normal social golf

in the end settled on midweek comp every other week and about 2 weekends tournaments a month. I would prefer double this not sure why clubs have more, if people want to play social instead they can play along with people in it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can’t be that good if only Q comps from
April to Nov - what about the other months of the year?!

It’s a parkland course that gets wet so they often make it clean and drop in the rough etc.

There’s still a hell of a lot of competitions on through those months just not Qs

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
All my playing partners stopped playing golf so I play on my own majority of
the time now so I chase the comp golf as it’s always gave me a buzz if I’m not playing a comp I’m practicing .ive had a bit of a lay off the comps as made some swing changes to get some more consistency.im back on the comp hunt as I feel it’s the right time but shocked that the only qualifying comp they have for men in my current club is the Saturday.i work shifts so can’t always play a Saturday so I’m missing the couple of midweek qualifying stableford comps I used to have in my previous club and it seems the case in most other clubs too .They play a Saturday comp through winter but they’re all none qualifying.Ive heard my current club doesn’t really take much notice of supplementary cards either.

Titleist3

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our competition rota is ridiculous.

There is only 1 day per week when there is no option to play a comp.

Best organisation and setup I've ever seen.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Our competition rota is ridiculous.

There is only 1 day per week when there is no option to play a comp.

Best organisation and setup I've ever seen.
What club is this ?thats good because you don’t always have to play a comp but nice to have a very active club giving you the choice

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As for "support the club" there was always a feeling that these guys were merely trophy hunting and would arrive for club champs, hang around for a few weeks when all the big comps were on and go off again. Of course if they've paid their cash that's their right but it never sat right with a large number of members

That would be a helluva expensive way of winning a few board comps. Pay annual subs, "arrive for a few weeks", then "go off again"?

Unless by "go off again" you mean go back to social golf at the club rather than competiton golf?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think I’m probably a member at one of the clubs in the country with the best opportunities. 2 midweek medals and at least one Q every single weekend from April - November.

In addition, if you don’t want to enter the comp you can still play with people who are (non major comps). I did this today as I’m returning from surgery and couldn’t play all 18. Clubs should give people the options.

My 2nd club has a midweek and weekend Q every single week of the year.

Sounds ideal, especially if your 2nd club is a links for year round comps

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We Have a Wednesday cup, which is a Bogey comp every Wednesday, but i never play that. then 3 sat comps per month (outside the Silver Trophy comps) and 3 sunday stablefords, which again i don't tend to play.

Comps run from April to Oct then nothing apart from some fun comps over the Christmas holiday.

I chose the club i'm a member of for the quality of the course TBH. Practice facilities are great, but i don't use them much and would rather play when i do go over to Nairn

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think a lot of clubs cater for the membership. Many of whom will want to play social golf and are happy just to keep a handicap with a few medals each year.

I guess for a lot of clubs, there is an additional cost if they have medal play in terms of keeping the course in better order, marking all the GUR etc. I know this should be done all the time, but obviously isn't always.

A club I was at previously would have a monthly medal 1st Saturday of every month. And every month through the season there would be at least one other medal / trophy to play for in medal conditions.

Every Tuesday was an optional medal.
Also any Saturday with no formal competition was also an optional medal.
So basically - as long as you had someone to mark your card, you could go out and play a competition, play in the 2s and influence your handicap and possibly win a medal and some cash.

So pretty much every other Saturday and every Sunday was available for social golf / rolls ups.

I felt it was a really good set up and catered for all needs.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
MY old club, used to have comps from end of April through to mid September, they had a mid week medal, Sunday Stableford as well as Saturday club comps which were the comps where you would win a trophy or get you name on the wall. 3 per week through the season.

The club I've just left only had a sweep, they were played mainly on a Wednesday with only 3 being played on a Sunday. This was 1 per week, but sometimes there were none.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For all members ladies and men we have 2 optional 18 hole comps a week, 1 9 hole optional comp a fortnight.

The Saturday monthly medal can only be booked by players not wanting to play in it on the day , so the chance of a game without playing it before 11am is very unlikely.

Seniors have a comp once a fortnight and ladies every week.

The only board comp that has a requirement to pay 3 comps (senior's comps) during the preceding 12 month period is the senior's Championship, however the costs of all the prizes etc come from taking a little bit out of each fortnightly comp.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That would be a helluva expensive way of winning a few board comps. Pay annual subs, "arrive for a few weeks", then "go off again"?

Unless by "go off again" you mean go back to social golf at the club rather than competiton golf?

As I said, most have dual memberships and so elect to play most of their golfing comps at their other course and then come back when it's big trophy time. It's not actually not as prevalent as it was. I know a couple of local clubs where one or two still do it

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Its an hour for me, but well worth the trip.

Double that for me, but it's always in the back of my mind. Could literally spend all day just at around the practice greens and be in heaven. Have to make do with a couple of trips a year... for now...

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As I said, most have dual memberships and so elect to play most of their golfing comps at their other course and then come back when it's big trophy time. It's not actually not as prevalent as it was. I know a couple of local clubs where one or two still do it

Gotchya! Knew I was missing something

Takes all sorts I guess and bit of a kicker for the regular punters I bet