S - Rush
S - Dalglish

Subs - Schmeichel (so painful to say)
Ratcliffe
Lawrenson
Bracewell
Gascoigne
Lineker

Apologies to players pre-1980 but as I didn't see them play I can't include them.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
GK - Pat Jennings

LB - Kevin Beattie
RB - Phil Neal
CB - Alan Hansen
CB - Tony Adams

M - Bobby Murdoch
M - Graeme Souness
RM - David Beckham
LM - John Barnes

S - George Best
S - Alan Shearer

I had the pleasure of seeing Graeme Souness and Bobby Murdoch play in the same team during the 1975 season - WOW! Never seen a better pairing.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
GK - Pat Jennings

LB - Kevin Beattie
RB - Phil Neal
CB - Alan Hansen
CB - Tony Adams

M - Bobby Murdoch
M - Graeme Souness
RM - David Beckham
LM - John Barnes

S - George Best
S - Alan Shearer

I had the pleasure of seeing Graeme Souness and Bobby Murdoch play in the same team during the 1975 season - WOW! Never seen a better pairing.

Bobby Murdoch = legendary

An amazing midfielder who in today's crazy money could command a few of £20m+ easily

D

Deleted member 15344

My Team will be
Seaman

Dixon adams Keown, Winterburn

Storey , Palour

Armstrong ,Ball , Kennedy Charlie George
Wright

All England Internationals

So with all the world class players that have been produced on these shores since 1966 you pick a team of just Arsenal players ?!

Ray Parlour :rofl:

C

c1973

I'd just pick Rangers players if I'm being honest........but I'll try and pick only from other teams.

GORAM - Hibs. (Best keeper in the world in his prime...easily).

JARDINE - Hearts
GOUGH - Dundee Utd
BUTCHER - Ipswich Town
NUMAN....oh bugger he's Dutch....erm, PYSCHO - Nottingham Forest

COOPER - Clydebank
BAXTER - Sunderland
SOUNESS - Sampdoria ;)
DURRANT - Kilmarnock (what a talent that boy was)

HATELEY- AC Milan
McCOIST - Kilmarnock

Gaffer: SMITH - Scotland

Always wished Stuart 'Psycho' Pearce had been a Rangers player. ;)

GAZZA got dropped for a wee rest. :whistle:

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm sorry, lots of players have their merits, or not, but Terry Butcher one of the best centre halves from Britain over the last 40 years - Lawrenson, Hansen, Wullie Miller, Terry, Ferdinand, Ratcliffe, Adams, O leary, P Thompson, E Hughes, D Watson off the top of my head in 5 minutes.

Just cos he walked off once with a bloody bandage does not make him a great centre half. I'd have him on a par with Brian Kilcline.

C

c1973

I'm sorry, lots of players have their merits, or not, but Terry Butcher one of the best centre halves from Britain over the last 40 years - Lawrenson, Hansen, Wullie Miller, Terry, Ferdinand, Ratcliffe, Adams, O leary, P Thompson, E Hughes, D Watson off the top of my head in 5 minutes.

Just cos he walked off once with a bloody bandage does not make him a great centre half. I'd have him on a par with Brian Kilcline.

My picks (Butcher included,who was a good CB btw) were intended as a wee joke based on me trying not to pick Rangers players............never mind. :)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My picks (Butcher included,who was a good CB btw) were intended as a wee joke based on me trying not to pick Rangers players............never mind. :)

No I got your angle,alright. He was a good centre half but not one of the best of British in the last 40 years. Someone else picked him as well.

After seeing Ian Rush terrorise him one day, in terms of closing him down and taking the ball off him was hilarious.

He did it all day, and Rushie was great at that. The Kop had started to do the OOOOohhhhhhh as soon as Butcher got the ball. The last time he received the ball and the Kop started again as Rush was about 15 yards away and Butcher "bolted" for the half way line with the ball, with a slow crescendo of OOOoohhhhh building up until Rush tackled him, won the ball then set off to score.

I'd love to ask him about that day, if I ever met him. Comedy gold. That day he was made to look like Pat Butcher.

D

Deleted member 18588

Banks

Neville, Hansen, Moore, Wilson

Johnstone, Souness, Scholes, Auld

Best, Greaves

What wouldn't I pay to see that line-up?

Adi2Dassler

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Andy Goram

Danny McGrain/Willie Miller/Denis Irwin

Graeme Souness

George Best/Paul Scholes/Jimmy Johnstone

Kenny Dalglish/Denis Law

Had to leave out Pat Stanton,Jimmy Greaves,Brian Robson and Davie Cooper, very tough choices.

D

Deleted member 18588

Andy Goram

Danny McGrain/Willie Miller/Denis Irwin

Graeme Souness

George Best/Paul Scholes/Jimmy Johnstone

Kenny Dalglish/Denis Law

Had to leave out Pat Stanton,Jimmy Greaves,Brian Robson and Davie Cooper, very tough choices.

Can I ask you and others how Dennis Irwin qualifies for a UK team?

And who is the eleventh man in your team?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Banks - No arguement
Gasgoigne - No arguement
Best - No arguement
Souness - No arguement
Lineker - No arguement

I don't need anymore. :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

77 caps for England. First choice centre half in 1986 and 1990 World Cups when England actually did ok. On a par with Killer.:rofl:

I picked him to play along side Bobby Moore in my best UK team. Needed a strong centre half, good in the air in the mould of Jack Charlton but better. None of the players you mention would have made a better centre half pairing with Moore in my opinion.