Your Best UK Football Team

D

Deleted member 15344

Butcher was a solid CB - but not better than Terry imo but I haven't seen a ( UK )CB better than Hansen - he was outstanding on the ball , clean in the tackle , great in the air , superb communicator and organiser - he had the lot as a CB.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Butcher was a solid CB - but not better than Terry imo but I haven't seen a ( UK )CB better than Hansen - he was outstanding on the ball , clean in the tackle , great in the air , superb communicator and organiser - he had the lot as a CB.
26 caps for Scotland. Not exactly proven at Country level though. Butcher played in three World Cups 1982, 1986 and 1990 when England could defend. Until Lineker came along we did struggle to score though. I can't remember Butcher having a bad game for England, and he had quite a few different partners over that period.

I can choose my team without any Club bias, unless I decide to pick Kerry Dixon, Neil Webb, Keith Curl and Nicky Shorey.;)

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Off the top of my head, based on what I've seen live

Southall

Neville
Terry
Hansen
Pearce

Barnes
Hoddle
Best
Bale

Fowler
Dalglish

A bit imbalanced, but full of flair. Dunno who's going to tackle in midfield though :D

D

Deleted member 15344

26 caps for Scotland. Not exactly proven at Country level though. Butcher played in three World Cups 1982, 1986 and 1990 when England could defend. Until Lineker came along we did struggle to score though. I can't remember Butcher having a bad game for England, and he had quite a few different partners over that period.

I can choose my team without any Club bias, unless I decide to pick Kerry Dixon, Neil Webb, Keith Curl and Nicky Shorey.;)

The amount of caps he had for Scotland is certainly never a reflection on his ability

Ferguson didn't take him to 86 WC for example and it seemed he was overlooked for the CB's playing in Scotland

It is also nothing to do with bias - I genuinely haven't seen a better UK CB

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I wouldn't say great in the air Phil, adequate, but his only slight weakness.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The amount of caps he had for Scotland is certainly never a reflection on his ability

Ferguson didn't take him to 86 WC for example and it seemed he was overlooked for the CB's playing in Scotland

It is also nothing to do with bias - I genuinely haven't seen a better UK CB

To me there are two types of centre half, ball players like Moore, Hansen, Beckenbauer, and stoppers like Terry, Charlton, Butcher. I would like to have one of each in my team, hence Butcher and Moore. If I hadn't chosen Moore I may well have looked at Hansen.

I am not saying you are biased, but a lot of the teams chosen are.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Hansen was up against Willie Miller for most of his time and his partnership with Alex Mcleish meant the pair were regular picks for Scotland [home based]
Moore was slow but had great positional, tackling and distributing skills.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Butcher played well for Rangers when the English sides were banned from Europe.
Probably unseen from those south of Preston.

That's where your wrong, lots of people I knew used to watch Rangers in their pomp in Europe attentively.

There were some great nights at Ibrox, I must admit to wanting to get up there for one of them, but never got round to it.

Hateley, Stevens, Steven, Wilkins, Walters,Cooper and Gazza in later years. Great to watch in the European games.