You Are The Committee

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our situation is resolved, committee has up held the original finish dates. Partly because the delay being requested was not a good enough reason .. it’s play or forfeit. So I opened up the whole weekend to give more opportunity. We will see if we play or not.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm new to club golf competitions, but it seems strange to me that when all other competitions are on fixed dates, the matchplay is floating and left to players to sort out themselves.
Even if the earlier rounds are flexible, it would make sense for dates of semis and finals to be fixed at the start of a season. If you don't turn up, your opponent wins.
I've never participated in any amateur sport that runs any other way.

It's always been like this for several reasons:
1) You can arrange to play it around your normal golfing arrangements. At weekends there are club matches, competitions, people that play county golf, scratch players that play in amateur tournaments.
2) Not everyone is available to play Saturday and Sunday due to family and work commitments.
3) A lot of clubs have pretty full competition calendars during the main summer months.
4) People should be mature enough to be able to arrange a game of golf.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I was a kid my club had a very good policy with regards to knockout comps. Player 1 has the responsibility to contact player 2 offering 3 different times that he is available to play. By different they do not mean Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday at 8am. By different they expect you to be able to offer a weekday time during the day or evening and at a weekend, or at least be able to offer 2 of those times. If player 1 or player 2 is not being reasonable then you can request the committee to intervene and either force the game to be played or disqualify one of the players. Everyone knew this and in 8 years of playing there I never had, or knew of anyone that went to the committee for a decision. I saw players actually concede the match, as they didn't want to be that person that makes the committee get involved.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
The committee decided that they would extend the date to October 12th to give both players a chance to sort it out.

BUT

Player one had had to pull out due to ill health and the committee felt that seeing as player 2 had "done nothing wrong" have awarded to competition to him. Player 2 is naturally upset that this is the way things have panned out and is very concerned for player ones health but has been reassured that player one is ok.

The End

D

Deleted member 15344

The committee decided that they would extend the date to October 12th to give both players a chance to sort it out.

BUT

Player one had had to pull out due to ill health and the committee felt that seeing as player 2 had "done nothing wrong" have awarded to competition to him. Player 2 is naturally upset that this is the way things have panned out and is very concerned for player ones health but has been reassured that player one is ok.

The End

So you won the competition by default then

Any respectable committee and indeed opponent would have decided to wait until both were fully fit to play - even if it was months . We have done that a number of times now

Swango1980

Visit site
So you won the competition by default then

Any respectable committee and indeed opponent would have decided to wait until both were fully fit to play - even if it was months . We have done that a number of times now
Or even years? Or would you give a final deadline date that is not flexible like the original deadline date?

D

Deleted member 15344

Or even years? Or would you give a final deadline date that is not flexible like the original deadline date?

Each situation would be treated on its own merits - we have in that past delayed one final by 12 months because of injury

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Deadlines are required if you set them at the outset then they need to be held unless there is a very good reason … like a pandemic but otherwise the players have to mange inside the window

D

Deleted member 3432

Each situation would be treated on its own merits - we have in that past delayed one final by 12 months because of injury

That's taking golf far too seriously...

I would be conceding the game whether I was player A or B in this instance above.

Swango1980

Visit site
Although I agree every situation needs to be looked at individually, delaying a competition for a year due to injury sounds crazy. You wouldn't do that for a medal. What if the other guy that wasnt injured wasn't happy with that? What if he didn't rejoin. What if a year passed, he wasn't in great form and suddenly claimed an injury himself? What if, in the next years competition, others want deadlines extended and claim injury as well.

It can get messy. I'd sooner stick to a deadline. If someone gets injured, that is just unfortunate. Just hope they get better and fit for future golf comps.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's taking golf far too seriously...

I would be conceding the game whether I was player A or B in this instance above.

Why is it taking it too seriously ?‍♂️ All four players were more than happy to wait for someone who had an injury , it didn’t have any dramatic affect on anyone else or any other competition

Although I agree every situation needs to be looked at individually, delaying a competition for a year due to injury sounds crazy. You wouldn't do that for a medal. What if the other guy that wasnt injured wasn't happy with that? What if he didn't rejoin. What if a year passed, he wasn't in great form and suddenly claimed an injury himself? What if, in the next years competition, others want deadlines extended and claim injury as well.

It can get messy. I'd sooner stick to a deadline. If someone gets injured, that is just unfortunate. Just hope they get better and fit for future golf comps.

It wasn’t a medal though - it’s a knockout ?‍♂️

And what is the point in dealing with What ifs ? Or trying to second guess people ? Any time a final has needed to be extended all opponents have had no issues and people have acted within the spirit of the sport.

As i said judge each situation as it occurs

D

Deleted member 3432

Why is it taking it too seriously ?‍♂️ All four players were more than happy to wait for someone who had an injury , it didn’t have any dramatic affect on anyone else or any other competition

It wasn’t a medal though - it’s a knockout ?‍♂️

And what is the point in dealing with What ifs ? Or trying to second guess people ? Any time a final has needed to be extended all opponents have had no issues and people have acted within the spirit of the sport.

As i said judge each situation as it occurs

I'd be interested to know if semi finals for example are granted 12 months injury extension?

If it works for your club then crack on with it but you could look silly if one of the finalists moved clubs or packed in golf.....

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd be interested to know if semi finals for example are granted 12 months injury extension?

If it works for your club then crack on with it but you could look silly if one of the finalists moved clubs or packed in golf.....
Bit of a dampener for presentation evening as well, if applicable

D

Deleted member 15344

no semi finals are not granted the same level of extensions - and if one of the finalists left or stopped playing golf then the opponent will get the match ?‍♂️

It’s called being flexible and adapting to the situation

Swango1980

Visit site
no semi finals are not granted the same level of extensions - and if one of the finalists left or stopped playing golf then the opponent will get the match ?‍♂️

It’s called being flexible and adapting to the situation
So, a player cannot make the original deadline due to injury, even though opponents can. Extension granted. A year later, the guys who could make the original deadline do not rejoin membership. Trophy given to the guys who couldn't make the original deadline (unless you will give another extension if the guys say they will rejoin next year, just cannot right now due to financial constraints).

I'd also be annoyed if I was a semi finalist who had to pull out injured because I couldn't make the deadline. But, whatever works at your place I guess. All I know is an ex comp sec offered similar flexibility at our place, and it well and truly bit him on the backside.