You Are The Committee

D

Deleted member 3432

This is just another example of why these sorts of comps are a waste of time and effort im my opinion, too many people just like to dick their opponent around. Its a game of golf for gods sake...

I think clubs who extend deadlines are making a rod for their own back and just encourage people taking the piss out of their oppenent in the hope they lose the will to live and concede.

Swango1980

Visit site
All of this reminds me of why I gave playing in knockout comps with no dates fixed by the club many years ago. Twice in one year I was drawn against a player who could only play Saturday afternoons when Saturday afternoon was the only day/time of a week I could not play.
We had 2 policemen who could only play midweek, and entered the winter doubles. Absolutely no good for anyone that works 9-5, and is only free at weekends. Since then, the ToC were carefully written such that players needed to provide reasonable dates, which also included weekends. It was carefully enough worded so that the Committee still had ultimate power to rule on who is at fault (if anyone) when a date cannot be agreed, without any players throwing the ToC's under our nose.

We also firmed up on players meeting the deadlines, as the previous comp sec basically allowed players to play when they liked for years, resulting in carnage (matches being months behind, players putting their matches back weeks as they did not like to play in cold weather, despite them being in Winter Knockout, etc)

To be fair, since then (about 5 or 6 years ago) there have been no real issues. In the 1st year, a couple of guys in the singles were both DQed as they didn't play by the deadline, one of whom was upset by that (despite him never approaching Committee to say he was having trouble sorting before deadline). Player's quickly get used to it, and it becomes a non issue. We always made it clear to everyone, if you think there will be issues getting your match in before the deadline due to lack of availability of opponent, approach Committee as soon as you can. Hopefully we can help resolve the issue asap. If no one approaches the Committee, the deadline comes and goes, then there are no real excuses.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
All of this reminds me of why I gave playing in knockout comps with no dates fixed by the club many years ago. Twice in one year I was drawn against a player who could only play Saturday afternoons when Saturday afternoon was the only day/time of a week I could not play.

Same with me. I remember when I joined at first and was all bright eyed and bushy tailed about the various comps that were available to take part in. After a few seasons of trying to organise ties between myself and another player, or an even better laugh trying to organising doubles ties, and I soon got fed up with it. My best reply which I still remember to this day, after offering the obligatory 3 dates in the challenge book and left my number as a courtesy so my opponent could get in touch, I got a text saying "I can only play 2 weeks on Tuesday between half 1 and 2pm, as long as it's not raining...". 2 weeks on Tuesday wasn't one of the dates I had offered, and needless to say that match was never played. That could well have been the same year a guy played his first match in the final as none of his other matches were actually played...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I was down to play in this years knockouts, first match drawn and the lass decided she weren’t working from home anymore and got another job office based.
That’s gave me only a two maybe three days a week at a push of availability and I’d much rather play in the comps or for handicap on my now limited free days Gave the first match away as no point in continuing.

If I can’t be flexible or offer a wide variety of dates then I’m just making it difficult for everyone else.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess I've been a bit lucky. Always been able to get my matches done. 3 dates have to be given, one of which has to be a weekend. Some have been a bit tricky but I've always managed it.

To the OP, whilst it's poor form for the guy to play the comp instead of your final, I think the solution is to both approach the committee and ask for an extension (the covid issue being the spanner in the works) and just get it done. Every club I've been at has a finals day for knockouts and playoffs. I'd put this forward to your competitions section. It's a great weekend and adds a bit of grandeur to the events. You get a fair few following the games on the course.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Once had someone telling me they could only play during the week in a winter comp with next to no daylight.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Depends on whether the club would allow it. Although the rules no longer strictly forbid this, they strongly recommend not to mix both formats, as the rules for both are different. Also, might be a bit annoying for the 3rd person in the group if they're playing in a 3 ball, maybe.

Yeah not first choice but as last resort it would've prevented the need to miss deadline
(I've done a few 'combined' matchplay/strokeplay rounds now and after the first one its pretty straightforward despite a few diff rules)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Same with me. I remember when I joined at first and was all bright eyed and bushy tailed about the various comps that were available to take part in. After a few seasons of trying to organise ties between myself and another player, or an even better laugh trying to organising doubles ties, and I soon got fed up with it. My best reply which I still remember to this day, after offering the obligatory 3 dates in the challenge book and left my number as a courtesy so my opponent could get in touch, I got a text saying "I can only play 2 weeks on Tuesday between half 1 and 2pm, as long as it's not raining...". 2 weeks on Tuesday wasn't one of the dates I had offered, and needless to say that match was never played. That could well have been the same year a guy played his first match in the final as none of his other matches were actually played...:rolleyes::rolleyes:
We had an instance some years ago where a guy won one of the knockouts without playing a single game.

You do have to wonder why some even enter, I had one guy reply to me saying he wasn't free till July, this was April and the first round had to be played by the 1st May..??

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
This is how it is at ours. Every round of the draw has a deadline date. Wouldn't dream of entering a matchplay competition if I wasn't prepared to keep the finals date free. For most clubs finals day is a big thing.
Been a member of 6 clubs, none had a finals day.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a similar issue as this. Knockout pairs competition, final was 2 weeks deadline from semifinal deadline. We completed the semifinal on the deadline date and as per all other matches we completed in the window for completion. I send the message out offering 1 day on each of the weekend that we have available . I get a response I will call you Monday, I don’t do calls, I am busy text me and I can respond.. it’s easier plus the conversation is noted.
I get a response saying availability for a match is the weekend after the tournament close date. I was about to reply when I get an email from the handicap committee saying they have decided to give all competitors a weeks breathing space.
I have been proactively apologising to my wife every time we have won around and she has been very understanding that the tournament would be held between these dates. After these dates we had other family/ work plans etc…
I signed up with this commitment in mind and I had the blessing from my wife and family to do so. I have bent over backwards to fit the games in and I have always offered up at least 2 days and open timing.
I responded back to the handicap committee that I was not consulted on this matter and stated that the extension was of no value to me as I was unavailable on those dates, and I would have stated this had they asked.
I did say we had offered both weekends as opportunities… the net result the playing partner of the opposition is the one dictating the schedule and he has decided he is playing elsewhere on both those weekends. My view was he needs to prioritise and make a decision, the handicap committee extension is of no relevance bar giving him an excuse to dictate the timing.
Am I fishing for a forfeit? No I gave them ample opportunity to play us inside the original timings, they are being disrespectful to the club and to us … so it’s play or forfeit
( by the way they have been awkward all the way through the competition with organising games, the playing partner is a member but this is his 2nd club, his playing history shows he plays every weekend all over the country )
I am still hopeful this game gets resolved on the course but I don’t car for the rules being manipulated in the favour of certain parties and I think when you sign up you commit and your obliged to make it happen.

Swango1980

Visit site
I have a similar issue as this. Knockout pairs competition, final was 2 weeks deadline from semifinal deadline. We completed the semifinal on the deadline date and as per all other matches we completed in the window for completion. I send the message out offering 1 day on each of the weekend that we have available . I get a response I will call you Monday, I don’t do calls, I am busy text me and I can respond.. it’s easier plus the conversation is noted.
I get a response saying availability for a match is the weekend after the tournament close date. I was about to reply when I get an email from the handicap committee saying they have decided to give all competitors a weeks breathing space.
I have been proactively apologising to my wife every time we have won around and she has been very understanding that the tournament would be held between these dates. After these dates we had other family/ work plans etc…
I signed up with this commitment in mind and I had the blessing from my wife and family to do so. I have bent over backwards to fit the games in and I have always offered up at least 2 days and open timing.
I responded back to the handicap committee that I was not consulted on this matter and stated that the extension was of no value to me as I was unavailable on those dates, and I would have stated this had they asked.
I did say we had offered both weekends as opportunities… the net result the playing partner of the opposition is the one dictating the schedule and he has decided he is playing elsewhere on both those weekends. My view was he needs to prioritise and make a decision, the handicap committee extension is of no relevance bar giving him an excuse to dictate the timing.
Am I fishing for a forfeit? No I gave them ample opportunity to play us inside the original timings, they are being disrespectful to the club and to us … so it’s play or forfeit
( by the way they have been awkward all the way through the competition with organising games, the playing partner is a member but this is his 2nd club, his playing history shows he plays every weekend all over the country )
I am still hopeful this game gets resolved on the course but I don’t car for the rules being manipulated in the favour of certain parties and I think when you sign up you commit and your obliged to make it happen.
This is one problem of a Committee extending deadlines. It does not necessarily suit all involved, and it creates bigger problems than it solves.

The 2 week window between semi and final seems ridiculously short, so the Committee have probably created a problem right there. However, given these dates were set, I do not see how your opponent can get away with not being available within that window.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is one problem of a Committee extending deadlines. It does not necessarily suit all involved, and it creates bigger problems than it solves.

The 2 week window between semi and final seems ridiculously short, so the Committee have probably created a problem right there. However, given these dates were set, I do not see how your opponent can get away with not being available within that window.
I think they have deferred another pairs competition as well based on this and they are not playing that inside the weekend allocated. One of them is available to play both days of the weekend as he has bookings and signed up for competitions. It’s his playing partner who is awkward, so I have sympathy for him and I am not the villain of the piece here, it’s his playing partner and that should be noted.
We will see how it plays out but there will be some backlash on it and I don’t think it’s fair to keep shifting it nor is it fair to award a draw .. the club needs to stand up and say you make a commitment when you sign up

Swango1980

Visit site
I think they have deferred another pairs competition as well based on this and they are not playing that inside the weekend allocated. One of them is available to play both days of the weekend as he has bookings and signed up for competitions. It’s his playing partner who is awkward, so I have sympathy for him and I am not the villain of the piece here, it’s his playing partner and that should be noted.
We will see how it plays out but there will be some backlash on it and I don’t think it’s fair to keep shifting it nor is it fair to award a draw .. the club needs to stand up and say you make a commitment when you sign up
Agreed, and if his playing partner cannot make it, he can always play solo.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day, it's only a game, there are lots of other important things to worry about.
Yes totally agree, but if you don’t give someone the required alignment they will carry on misbehaving and it will escalate up to more important things .. so nip it in the bud.