You Are The Committee

D

Deleted member 15344

So, a player cannot make the original deadline due to injury, even though opponents can. Extension granted. A year later, the guys who could make the original deadline do not rejoin membership. Trophy given to the guys who couldn't make the original deadline (unless you will give another extension if the guys say they will rejoin next year, just cannot right now due to financial constraints).

I'd also be annoyed if I was a semi finalist who had to pull out injured because I couldn't make the deadline. But, whatever works at your place I guess. All I know is an ex comp sec offered similar flexibility at our place, and it well and truly bit him on the backside.

Are you incapable of understanding that each situation is judged on its own merits ?‍♂️ - why do you appear desperate to dream up situations to try and prove something ?

I’ll say it again - each situation is assessed and judged on its own merits and it’s not caused us any issues in the 10 years I have been involved.

Swango1980

Visit site
Are you incapable of understanding that each situation is judged on its own merits ?‍♂️ - why do you appear desperate to dream up situations to try and prove something ?

I’ll say it again - each situation is assessed and judged on its own merits and it’s not caused us any issues in the 10 years I have been involved.
Well done

Swango1980

Visit site
Why is it taking it too seriously ?‍♂️ All four players were more than happy to wait for someone who had an injury , it didn’t have any dramatic affect on anyone else or any other competition
Just out of genuine interest, if 2 of the 4 players were absolutely not happy about this, would you offer the same flexibility?

D

Deleted member 15344

Just out of genuine interest, if 2 of the 4 players were absolutely not happy about this, would you offer the same flexibility?

One of the players had chemotherapy for cancer - they had no issues waiting ?

Again judging each situation on it’s an merits and being flexible when it comes to the final

Swango1980

Visit site
One of the players had chemotherapy for cancer - they had no issues waiting ?

Again judging each situation on it’s an merits and being flexible when it comes to the final
Ok, but the reason I asked was to try and make your solution relevant to the OP. It seems to me that Player 2 did not want a deadline extension, and that Player 1 was playing before the deadline extension.

So, to use your statement, every situation is different. In the OPs situation, would you grant an extension despite one side not wanting you to?

D

Deleted member 15344

Ok, but the reason I asked was to try and make your solution relevant to the OP. It seems to me that Player 2 did not want a deadline extension, and that Player 1 was playing before the deadline extension.

So, to use your statement, every situation is different. In the OPs situation, would you grant an extension despite one side not wanting you to?

In the situation for the OP yes there would be extensions for a certain period until both are available due to it being the final - again judged on the severity of the injury/illness

Going through the whole situation and understanding that the story is coming from player 2s side of the story would also need to hear the side of player 1

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the situation for the OP yes there would be extensions for a certain period until both are available due to it being the final - again judged on the severity of the injury/illness

Going through the whole situation and understanding that the story is coming from player 2s side of the story would also need to hear the side of player 1

Player 1 was offered a date by player 2 and turned it down to play in another competition. How is that fair to Player 2.

sunshine

Visit site
That's taking golf far too seriously...

I would be conceding the game whether I was player A or B in this instance above.

It's funny, because forcing a result because one player is injured sounds like taking golf too seriously (to me).

If I was in a final and my opponent told me he was injured, I'd be happy to defer it until he was better. Not indefinitely... it would be silly playing in the 2022 KO without having played the 2021 final.

D

Deleted member 15344

Player 1 was offered a date by player 2 and turned it down to play in another competition. How is that fair to Player 2.

And player 2 booked that date on the tee booking before confirming with player 1 it seems - Player 1 could well have arranged to play in a competition before the issue etc - but as I said we have only heard the story from CF side sorry I mean player 2 side. Learned very quickly in these situations that there always two sides to the story and have seen players looking at ways to be awarded the match

sunshine

Visit site
Swango: "Hi Phil, this is Swango from the golf club. Congrats for reaching the ko final, let's agree a date for our match. Can you play this weekend?"
Phil: "I've just been diagnosed with cancer, I'm in hospital."
Swango: "So does that mean you can't play this weekend? How about next week?"
Phil: "I need to start chemotherapy and I'll be having surgery too."
Swango: "What about a midweek round? We really need to play this match by the end of the month."

Swango1980

Visit site
Swango: "Hi Phil, this is Swango from the golf club. Congrats for reaching the ko final, let's agree a date for our match. Can you play this weekend?"
Phil: "I've just been diagnosed with cancer, I'm in hospital."
Swango: "So does that mean you can't play this weekend? How about next week?"
Phil: "I need to start chemotherapy and I'll be having surgery too."
Swango: "What about a midweek round? We really need to play this match by the end of the month."
Tell me where the OP stayed Player 1 had cancer? Absurd. I seem to remember the OP said Player 1 played in a competition, so he was fit enough to play golf.

Also, if Player 1 had cancer, do you really think Player 1 would be stressed out or upset about missing out on a golf match? I seriously doubt it, pretty sure they'd be focusing on recovery, and if they were given the all clear I'm sure not playing in a final would be last thing on their mind. If you think they'd be stressed out about it you take golf WAY too seriously.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
And player 2 booked that date on the tee booking before confirming with player 1 it seems - Player 1 could well have arranged to play in a competition before the issue etc - but as I said we have only heard the story from CF side sorry I mean player 2 side. Learned very quickly in these situations that there always two sides to the story and have seen players looking at ways to be awarded the match

As it's a teetime for a final that seems a most sensible thing to do if you have a busy club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Once had someone telling me they could only play during the week in a winter comp with next to no daylight.
This year playing our midweek knockout I had my semi final opponent tell me with more than two weeks left to play match that he couldn’t play this week; that he was on holiday the last week, and that next week he was already playing mon to thurs. I couldn’t play the Friday and so I cancelled my sat rollup and we squeezed our midweek k/o match in late on the saturday. Couldn’t be bothered making any fuss of it.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Player one's illness is such that he will not be playing golf for the foreseeable future leaving the committee only one option, as they had extended the date to allow player one time to recover but he had not done so and as player 2 " had done nothing wrong" they declared him the winner of the competition.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Player 2 booked the date as player one, after being given three weeks to recover from covid, was aware that they now only had one week in which to play the final by its stated due date and player 1 had not made any attempt to contact player 2. Player 2 was only attempting to set a date and get the final played in time. Player one was not responding.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Player 2 was completely unaware of the severity of player 1 illness at anytime and was also frustrated at the lack of contact and information.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
And yes player two is me.

I felt very sorry for my opponent when I learnt of his illness and asked the committee to pass on my sympathy to the bloke. It's a sad way to end a competition but given the circumstances the committee had no option I feel.