You Are The Committee

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So;
Player 2 offered one date and Player 1 declined
Player 1 offered one date and Player 2 declined
Both Players knew there was an imminent deadline but can't/won't play so it gets bounced to committee to rule

(doesn't really matter what prevented both players accepting a date, be it playing in a diff golf comp or playing tiddlywinks)

Committee ruling: metaphorically knock their heads together and assuming no impact to other events then permit a short/realistic extension to get it played
(i.e we need to complete ours before the prize giving evening)

RichA

Visit site
I'm new to club golf competitions, but it seems strange to me that when all other competitions are on fixed dates, the matchplay is floating and left to players to sort out themselves.
Even if the earlier rounds are flexible, it would make sense for dates of semis and finals to be fixed at the start of a season. If you don't turn up, your opponent wins.
I've never participated in any amateur sport that runs any other way.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
This may depend on when this situation was brought to the attention of the committee. If only now, then I would be asking both players to give me at least 4 dates when they were available over the next two weeks, I would then book the tee time to suit. If no matchoing date then the trophy would not be awarded for the season. Sometimes members have to learn the hard way. I would only allow an extension in these circumstances for the final.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Committee uses time machine and common sense and provides a date of the day the final is to be played at point of entry to the competition. There is also a caveat in the rules that there are no extensions and players who cannot offer a substantial amount times to play in the week and weekend are disqualified.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This may depend on when this situation was brought to the attention of the committee. If only now, then I would be asking both players to give me at least 4 dates when they were available over the next two weeks, I would then book the tee time to suit. If no matchoing date then the trophy would not be awarded for the season. Sometimes members have to learn the hard way. I would only allow an extension in these circumstances for the final.
I tend to agree with this. The idea that the dates can be stretched out forever more until a date is finally agreed is daft. There has to be finality and if no date can be agreed and no party is more guilty than the other then no winner is found. It's an amateur club comp, not The Open.

At the moment one of the players does not seem to be doing themselves any favours so it is last chance saloon for them.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm new to club golf competitions, but it seems strange to me that when all other competitions are on fixed dates, the matchplay is floating and left to players to sort out themselves.
Even if the earlier rounds are flexible, it would make sense for dates of semis and finals to be fixed at the start of a season. If you don't turn up, your opponent wins.
I understand where you are coming from but would not want to see matches decided on the basis of players not being available for unforseen circumstances. It would also reduce the entry field which would be a shame.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Committee uses time machine and common sense and provides a date of the day the final is to be played at point of entry to the competition. There is also a caveat in the rules that there are no extensions and players who cannot offer a substantial amount times to play in the week and weekend are disqualified.

Excellent.

Player 1 was allowed to recover from illness but then declined a date offered by Player 2 in preference to play in a club competition on the same day. This, in my eyes, is disgusting behavior and blatent disregard to the other player and the KO competition and should be disqualified. No question, no discussion.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also, what if a new date was decided on and Player 2 then decided to claim they had caught Covid? What would happen then? In fact, Player 2 could then continue to claim injury forever and ever. Extensions are not the way forward.

RichA

Visit site
I understand where you are coming from but would not want to see matches decided on the basis of players not being available for unforseen circumstances. It would also reduce the entry field which would be a shame.
Unforeseen circumstances have caused me to miss the odd sporting fixture over the years. If the other thing is more important than my hobby then I've just had to suck it up and go again next time.
Golf is my selfish pastime. Life is imperfect. Sometimes other stuff has to take priority.

Swango1980

Visit site
Player 2 has waited 3 weeks and now is not available on the one day offered by player 1. Player 1 has played at the club on the day player 2 had booked as a reserve day for the final.
As others have pointed out, the conditions of the competition are the first place to look, but by sounds of it they do not deal with this specific situation.

Personally, although I understand the view about allowing extensions for the final, I do not necessarily agree with it. If you are going to allow extensions for the final, why have a deadline at all? Or at least put the deadline at a point where you'd have been happy to have extensions until. Otherwise, you could have a ridiculous situation where a player might anticipate a shot or 2 increase of their handicap over the next few rounds, and choose to claim they cannot play by the deadline (only available to play in competitions or at away events to get that handicap up). They could be experiencing terrible form, and want a few weeks to sort it out. And they could be messing with their opponent, who would rather play by the deadline.

Anyway, the Committee need to hear from both sides to be able to decide. It is clear, from what you say, that Player 1 COULD have played the final by the deadline, but elected to play in the competition instead. To me, that would indicate that Player 1 has no right to have the deadline extended (if that was a possibility), and Player 2 should be awarded the win. Flip it around, if Player 1 did play in the final that day, would it be reasonable for him to ask the club to delay the other competition to another date he could play? When I was on Committee at my last club, we stressed that match play events take priority over other club events. So, if players were in a position to pick between one or the other (after all other dates ruled out), then they would either need to play the match play or forfeit their match.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Some players are an absolute nightmare. I've had mor than a handful of opponents in the past who can only play every other Tuesday morning but only if thay can tee off at 9:43. Or can't make an arranged time all of a sudden, then can't make the rearrangement, but can play on the deadline day, but at an obscure time.

They do it on purpose to try and wind their opponent up or to get a free pass into the next round.

At my old club the player who's name was first or the home player as it were had to give the other player a choice of 3 dates at sensible times. If the opponent didn't play they lost the tie.

wjemather

Visit site
Excellent.

Player 1 was allowed to recover from illness but then declined a date offered by Player 2 in preference to play in a club competition on the same day. This, in my eyes, is disgusting behavior and blatent disregard to the other player and the KO competition and should be disqualified. No question, no discussion.
Absolute rubbish.

Both players have offered only a single date to the other and both have refused that date - the reason for refusal (illness, work, other golf, pub, footie, watching TV, whatever) is irrelevant. Both players are equally responsible for arranging the match, and equally at fault for failing to do so. Player 2 getting on their high horse, seemingly to get a free ride to the trophy, is not going to help.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Excellent.

Not sure i follow... Why is it disgusting from Player 1 and it seems its not disgusting from Player 2 ?

'allowed to recover' :unsure:
Did Player 2 didn't really expect Player 1 to play while they had covid? (had Player 1 been overseas would you say; Player 2 'allowed' Player 1 to go on holiday)
Isn't this why so many MP comps have from/to date windows for ties to be completed rather than specific days/dates, because all players have outside lives)

Didn't Player 2 also decline a date offered by Player 1 & that date was within the deadline? (also in preference for Player 2 to do something else)

Swango1980

Visit site
Absolute rubbish.

Both players have offered only a single date to the other and both have refused that date - the reason for refusal (illness, work, other golf, pub, footie, watching TV, whatever) is irrelevant. Both players are equally responsible for arranging the match, and equally at fault for failing to do so. Player 2 getting on their high horse, seemingly to get a free ride to the trophy, is not going to help.

Really!? So, would it have been OK then, if Player 2 offered Player 1 another 2 dates when they had Covid? Then, on a technicality Player 2 had offered 3 dates and suddenly they would be right to complain that Player 1 could not play?

In all honesty, I cannot imagine many Committees agreeing that the deadline of match play event should be extended, because one Player could not make the deadline as they wanted to watch TV that day. The fact that Player 2 only offered one date was because he knew that Player 1 was unable to play due to illness for the weeks leading up to the deadline. How can you accuse Player 2 of being equally at fault? If Player 1 decided to go on holiday for a month, and was only available on deadline day (and Player 2 was not), would Player 2 be equally at fault?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Every round of matchplay is floating, if you started stating specific dates for each round, entries would drop, you'd always have days you can't manage so no point entering. ~

For finals, surely you allow leeway to ensure it's played, who wants to win a final with a walkover?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Excellent.

Are you Player 2?

D

Deleted member 15344

Excellent.

I’m guessing you are player 2

A final should never be decided by a DQ unless there is something serious that happens

We have had the situation before and the choice is always the same - the deadline is extended until the final can be played on a day that is workable for both competitors