Wristwatches whilst playing?

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
I recently aqcuired a new watch, got it adjusted for size and when I first went to play golf, the clasp of the watch popped open at the top of every backswing. Played the rest of the round minus the watch but it was horrible!! I felt almost naked.
Long story short, got the watch adjusted and all is well but it made me realise that I can't play without my watch . It just feels wrong.
On the other hand (quite literally) I wear a ring on my left hand which I always remove before playing golf as it feels awkward in my grip.
Some people I know won't wear a watch on the course.

What's your preference and why?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have a D&G watch and it has a metal strap which I just cannot wear while playing, if it was fabric I suppose that would be different.I also cant wear my wedding ring as it the edges are a little square and feel like it will nip my finger.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know what you mean, Craig. I feel naked without my watch or some headgear. Always have to wear a cap or a woolly hat, no matter the weather. Just puts me in golf mode, even at the driving range.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
usually start off wearing my No.2 watch (30 year old Seiko) which has an expanding strap. starts off at the wrist, gets moved progressively up my arm then to the bag.

I also have a square shouldered ring worn on the middle finger. first time I wore it on course it took a slice out of my little finger so now relegated to the pocket whilst playing.

level5s

Head Pro
Visit site
dont wear my watch whilst playing. have tried both leather and metal strapped watches and dont feel comfortable with the top of the glove sitting over/against it.

never worn a ring, getting married in October so hand will become ringed. think i will take it off but i guess must remember to put it back on........

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never wear my watch on the course like to just go and play and not worry about what time it is.

This got me into trouble recently as I put my Fathers day pressie in my pencil bag when I played 9 holes with a mate and then forgot I'd put it there!

Cue weeks of I can't belive you lost that watch! Cleaned my bag out the other day and hey presto there it was!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Always took my watch and wedding ring off before playing. That was until i lost my wedding ring out on the course when i did not zip up the pocket fully :eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Always take my wedding ring off as it pinches and rubs. I normally play in my watch but recently it has been fogging up when it gets damp and humid so forced to take it off and keep it in my locker. Can't say I've really noticed a difference either way

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My wonderful wife bought me a Tag Heuer for my birthday, before this I had a titanium/gold watch which was wonderfully light.
The Tag is certainly not lightweignt - hence when I swing I feel the weight and distracts me (however, the distraction is only when playing golf)

As for the wedding ring - I honestly dont notice I am wearing it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I have my steel banded automatic (1965 vintage) watch on then I leave it on, but if I have my leather strapped clockwork watch (1963) on, then it comes off as my golf swing upsets the movement, and I don't want to pay £80 every time to fix it.

My other jewelery stays on, as I never take it off.

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
My wonderful wife bought me a Tag Heuer for my birthday.

Is it the Tiger Woods Link one? I nearly got that from my wife for our 10th Wedding Anniversary but went for the Omega Seamaster instead... and it weighs a ton! I've always worn a heavy, steel banded watch and I think thats why I miss it when it's not there.
I'd never swung a club on the course before without that weight on my left arm and my swing allows for it.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
[quote
Is it the Tiger Woods Link one?

[/QUOTE]

Nice watch that one - but I have a Formula 1 special edition. It cought my eye and I was suprised - it was a long way from the more expensive ones.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always wear my watch, day and night, 365 days a year. Very rarely comes off, and I bet its the same for anyone with a military background. (and I bet if they are RM or RN, there watches are probably 5 mins fast, deliberatly.