Would you want your tee box allocated based on driving distance?

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are people ignoring the idea of either different SSSs for different tees, or adapting the Slope rating for each tee?

I think what people are also ignoring that the ability to be "assigned" a tee, stops everyone automatically going off the back tee, slowing it down when they can't clear the forced carry on some holes. It also speeds things ups when people aren't trying to hit 3 wood approaches into par 4 greens ( despite the handicap allowing them to take 5 shots, people still automatically try for par).

In addition to that, doing this allows people to play holes as they are meant to be played. If it's a long par 4 designed for a long approach, the green takes that into account. If it expects you to be hitting a high shot in that will stop quickly, that was taken into account as well. If you're hitting a 3w into this green, you're not playing it as it was meant to, which would normally mean you won't be enjoying it.

Yes, the idea of assigning tees by distance is crude, but it's a good start!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Am I missing something here? We have back tees and front tees. Front tees mean it's easier to clear the rough and heather (and water if we had any) off the tee. They are for social, friendly roll-up, non-quali golf. What new does TiF proposals bring. Don't get it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think this is supposed to be about serious comps.

I agree, everything BUT serious comps.

Societies, rollups, general play etc

Nothing wrong with people in the same group using different tees though if appropriate.

The one thing clubs SHOULD do is provide at least 4 sets of tees (colours may vary):

White - Back
Yellow - General play
Red - Forward
Green - Beginner/Senior/Junior (no carries over trouble)

We should not be assigning tees based on gender or driving distance but making options available to suit ability.

When appropriate people can choose the best tee for them (ie when NOT stipulated).

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have to find a way of regulating the ball or clubs so that guys swinging at 115 mph are not hitting the ball much further than guys at 100 mph.

What?! Most ridiculous thing I've heard.
Why take away the advantage of the faster swinger? If the 100mph guy wants to hit it as far as the 115mph guy he should train to do so, not limit the other guy's equipment.

D

Deleted member 15344

If thats the case then this is only sensible for sure! Provided your all off the same one.

Exactly this - it appeared to me that there was a suggestion that people go off different tees relative to your driving distance - so in one group you could have people going off different tees which IMO is nonsense

All go of the same tee IMO

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We are only 6,400 yards off the white so hardly a long course by modern standards so playing off the whites and aside from the 3rd where there is a 180 yard carry over a hazard there isn't anything too difficult even for short hitters

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am I missing something here? We have back tees and front tees. Front tees mean it's easier to clear the rough and heather (and water if we had any) off the tee. They are for social, friendly roll-up, non-quali golf. What new does TiF proposals bring. Don't get it.

We certainly use the forward tees for Q events as seen fit.

Strangely we can also go and play Q opens at other really short course if we choose!

Where sufficient choice exists people will choose their club (to compete at as well as social golf) based at its playability for them.

In theory the USGA rating system enables competitors to compete head to head whilst playing off different tees - the reality is somewhat different for many of he reasons inherent in the responses to this thread. As is the case with white or yellow tees played against the appropriate SSS here, there will be aspects to the course and players capabilities that give one or other an edge within the handicapping system - it's also a bigger reason for clubs perceived to be handicapped strongly/weakly in matches than anything else. You can't escape the principle that (generally) the longer the course played the stronger any handicap based on that course will be.

Mag

Club Champion
Visit site
Both my home courses operate with a slope-system that calculates the amount of shots you get off your handicap. If you tee it forward you get less shots and vice versa. It works quite well over here as playing from the front tees has become a regular comp for the monthly medal.

In terms of course length, my course plays 6600 off the whites and 6250 off the yellows, but we've gone away from marking the tees with white, yellow, red etc. Instead, we've got tees marked with 66, 62, 58, 54 and 50. There's also a chart that suggests what tee to use based on your length off the tee. This has worked wonders to remove the stigma of playing off the "ladies tee".

From my perspective and experience, teeing it forward works if combined with a slope-system that assigns shots. A lot of people would benefit from playing a shorter course and the challenge of having fewer shots than one is used to.

D

Deleted member 15344

Both my home courses operate with a slope-system that calculates the amount of shots you get off your handicap. If you tee it forward you get less shots and vice versa. It works quite well over here as playing from the front tees has become a regular comp for the monthly medal.

In terms of course length, my course plays 6600 off the whites and 6250 off the yellows, but we've gone away from marking the tees with white, yellow, red etc. Instead, we've got tees marked with 66, 62, 58, 54 and 50. There's also a chart that suggests what tee to use based on your length off the tee. This has worked wonders to remove the stigma of playing off the "ladies tee".

From my perspective and experience, teeing it forward works if combined with a slope-system that assigns shots. A lot of people would benefit from playing a shorter course and the challenge of having fewer shots than one is used to.

Do you not follow Congu at the club then ?

Are the HC official ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you not follow Congu at the club then ?

Are the HC official ?

CONGU does exactly that, although mixed tee competitions are not permitted for single sex events. Our plates would be labelled 74, 73, 71 and 69 (for obvious reasons) were we to choose those designations. We can play CONGU Q comps off all, but in practice only use the first 3.

D

Deleted member 15344

CONGU does exactly that, although mixed tee competitions are not permitted for single sex events. Our plates would be labelled 74, 73, 71 and 69 (for obvious reasons) were we to choose those designations. We can play CONGU Q comps off all, but in practice only use the first 3.

So it's a different SSS per tee

So shots per hole would the same surely as the SI wouldn't change but the net result obviously be different ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So it's a different SSS per tee

yes - that's how course ratings work under CONGU

under the USGA system you (potentially depending on ultimate roundings) play off a different handicap because your playing handicap is a function of your handicap index and the course/tee rating equations.

So shots per hole would the same surely as the SI wouldn't change but the net result obviously be different ?

net results being different only applies to medal which isn't consistent with shots per hole.

hole SIs remain constant (under all systems), par for a hole may, or may not, remain a constant (it will for USGA as it's a function of handicapping but some CONGU courses adjust the par depending on the tee being used - which is fine because such adjustments are then factored back in through the nett differential calculations for handicapping)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
remind me of the problem again? Some players don't hit the ball far enough to reach the fairway? Is that it? So bring the problem closer to the tee or the tee closer to the problem. Or learn to hit the ball a bit further. Same as it ever was.

D

Deleted member 15344

yes - that's how course ratings work under CONGU

under the USGA system you (potentially depending on ultimate roundings) play off a different handicap because your playing handicap is a function of your handicap index and the course/tee rating equations.

net results being different only applies to medal which isn't consistent with shots per hole.

hole SIs remain constant (under all systems), par for a hole may, or may not, remain a constant (it will for USGA as it's a function of handicapping but some CONGU courses adjust the par depending on the tee being used - which is fine because such adjustments are then factored back in through the nett differential calculations for handicapping)

But we don't use the USGA system so at the moment don't use a sloping system in this country ?

So what they do isn't relevant to us at the moment