Would you like to see bifurcation come in?

Would you like to see bifurcation come in?

• Yes

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 51.8%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The details aren't overly clear from the R&A/USGA report but would you, as a club golfer, be happy to play different equipment and balls to the tour pros?

D

Deleted member 21258

Yes would like to see it, its the most sensible route than to have to keep increasing the size of the park, as they are hitting it out the park.

I would be happy for balls that spin more or the like for all of us to reduce the distance we all hit it by say 15%.

TBH I don't care whether I play the same equipment or balls as pros (do they play DDHs ;):LOL:),

D

Deleted member 18588

Why not?

After all we don't play the same courses as even those that may occasionally be used for tournament play are set up entirely differently.

Start by introducing a tournament ball.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I vote yes - but only if they do go about limiting the pros kit. Amatuers dont need any changes.

Personally not bothered by the "overpowering" debate. Id just leave things as they are. If Bryson gets 6 majors in 4 years, then maybe worry. But I dont think he will.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, not an issue. My gear is already nowhere near the level that pro's use but then it doesn't need to be. Pro's in most sports get a leg up in terms of equipment they have on tap, it's daft that golf feels it needs to be exactly the same.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Some people run faster than me, some run slower. I'm not asking for the companies that make running shoes to put lead soles on the faster runner shoes.... Personally I don't like BDC but why penalize everyone just because he's bulked up and plays ugly golf. If he was winning week in week out, maybe have to look at it, but he's not. Even if you dial back the ball, limit the shaft length etc. he's still gonna hit it further than those that are behind him right now. The example stated on Golf TV last night was along the lines of dialling back the gear by 10%. BDC now hits it 300 instead of 340, but Zach Johnson now hits it 240 instead of 270. On a par 5, BDC is still gonna get there in two, whilst ZJ now has no chance of getting there in two, it doesn't change BDC's big hitting advantage.

Perhaps they should introduce weight categories on tour and have different prizes for the heavy weights, middle weights, fly weights etc....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The details aren't overly clear from the R&A/USGA report but would you, as a club golfer, be happy to play different equipment and balls to the tour pros?
Whether some of the details are clear or not, the report is not proposing bifurcation.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm really surprised at the voting so far, I thought it would be an overwhelming no ?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I don’t see the reason to change. If it’s all reigned in then it’s for all golfers. We all play the same game. Bringing the distances back to what they were 25 years ago will revitalise a lot of older courses.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No for me, but I would introduce more equipment limits that would apply to both pros and amateurs alike, starting with the ball
As the proposal is to introduce Local Rules they apply to all golfers at the discretion of the committee not the R&A/USGA

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was dead against it a while ago. The longer it goes on, the more I realise they play a different game, with some different rules...so may as well have some different equipment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've said no. Really not bothered by it. The pros play a totally different game to me anyway, if they're able to hit it 400 yards and not lose the ball fair play to them.

I also don't care if they do make changes to the pro game in terms of balls and clubs as long as it doesn't affect me at all.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Absolutely not! The beauty of our great game is we get to tee it up on the same venues as the elite & Pro players, using roughly the same equipment. How many other games are you able to do this & genuinely compare your skills to those of the world’s best?

If they’re worried about length, bottleneck fairways at landing zones of the longer hitters. Grow penal rough. Add bunkers at landing zones of the longest hitters. Length isn’t the issue it’s tournament committees being told not to trick the course up & to let the Pros come out & make birdies, etc. as it’s an entertainment sport & the sponsors want their week in the sun & reflected glory of hosting these wonderful players.

Certainly make driver shaft length a max of 45” & head 440cc for the entire industry. If a player gets ball speed up above 200mph, good luck to them & well done ?

There is a reason Joe Miller isn’t plying his trade on European Tour (not just that he earns more on Long Drive circuit). It’s not just about distance. Skill has to have it’s say too.

Reign the technology in across the entire spectrum of golf. No to bifurcation ?

Captainron

Visit site
Wonder how manufacturers would handle bifurcation?

2 different sets need extra R&D. doubt the pro's will end up shelling out for the additional research. Also, how would they showcase their gear if the sponsored Pro is using a different club to the target audience.

The real upshot would be that gear cost more to the man on the street I think.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wonder how manufacturers would handle bifurcation?

2 different sets need extra R&D. doubt the pro's will end up shelling out for the additional research. Also, how would they showcase their gear if the sponsored Pro is using a different club to the target audience.

The real upshot would be that gear cost more to the man on the street I think.
Do people think they can really buy Roger Federer's model of tennis racket, Chris Froome's spec of bike, Kohli's cricket bat etc? They use made to order gear specifically for them that Joe Public will never get their hands on. We can buy a version of these but not the precise one. It doesn't harm sales of those products, r & d etc.

Captainron

Visit site
Do people think they can really buy Roger Federer's model of tennis racket, Chris Froome's spec of bike, Kohli's cricket bat etc? They use made to order gear specifically for them that Joe Public will never get their hands on. We can buy a version of these but not the precise one. It doesn't harm sales of those products, r & d etc.
If bifurcation happens then the gear will cost more. 100% it will

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the pros are restricted to 'lower length' performance equipment and can't use 'superlength' kit, Joe Public won't buy it.
The pros will concentrate on stoke making/shaping kit and the fans will follow suit.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The last 5 generations of driver have promised more length, but not delivered, irons have got longer, but only by fudging the lofts, new better balls come out, that are the same. People still buy them. Nothing will change.