Would you like to see bifurcation come in?

Would you like to see bifurcation come in?

• Yes

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 51.8%

• Total voters

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do people think they can really buy Roger Federer's model of tennis racket, Chris Froome's spec of bike, Kohli's cricket bat etc? They use made to order gear specifically for them that Joe Public will never get their hands on. We can buy a version of these but not the precise one. It doesn't harm sales of those products, r & d etc.

Or buy bladed irons badged to suit a primary sponsor despite being manufactured by someone else, it’s poppycock

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If they just restrict the length of a shaft (no am is going above 46" anyway), possibly restrict the loft of drivers (same driver, less loft), and have a pro ball and an amateur ball (effectively the same but with different dimple patterns to affect the distance) then how would that affect pricing?

The only fundamentally different item will likely be the ball. I don't see that having a major impact on the prices we pay now.

I'm not saying the above is what will happen by the way. I am reading the info and looking at simple options, that could well never happen.

100%.

D

Deleted member 18588

We do and can have what they have, we just don’t have the money they have to buy it.
We can get equipment used by professionals second hand, again if you know someone or have some money spare for a charity auction.
All equipment follows R&A rules, there’s no magic distance giving clubs. Just hard work physical training and natural ability by the players.
Give Rory a matching American golf club head and he will hit it the same distance.

Shafts are a feel thing. They are not a driver of the golf ball. They do nothing for length unless the shaft is longer in length.
Their irons are individually made and often produced by a third party before being stamped with sponsors logos.

That is not something available to us all no matter how much we might be prepared to pay.

In any event my opinion is that it is the ball that has had the biggest effect upon pro's, equipment wise, and this would also be the easiest to regulate.

It would also be the fairest and not particularly penalise those who have worked the hardest to achieve their distance gains.

Last edited by a moderator:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The really silly thing is that t the top players would still be the top players. It would actually differentiate them more, if the game was harder. It is Rory interest to make this happen, he just doesn't see it. He would win more, and earn more money.
Sadly, he has blinkers on.
If this came from Wallis Barnes 3 ranked 120, who is a bit rubbish, I would get it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The really silly thing is that t the top players would still be the top players. It would actually differentiate them more, if the game was harder. It is Rory interest to make this happen, he just doesn't see it. He would win more, and earn more money.
Sadly, he has blinkers on.
If this came from Wallis Barnes 3 ranked 120, who is a bit rubbish, I would get it.
Would he? How? It's not like he's a short-hitter being done over by bombers each week is it?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
What about going the total opposite direction. Standardisation. Every 7 iron must have 35 degrees of loft, every driver must be 45inches, every ball must have the same cover hardness/compression.

I reckon that would solve alot.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Would he? How? It's not like he's a short-hitter being done over by bombers each week is it?

Yes, because the harder you make the game, (it's not just about how far you hit it off the tee, it's making it more difficult to hit it long and control the ball flight, more difficult to control the spin around the greens), the more the really good guys will shine.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
I'm not sure changing the ball would make a lot of difference in the distance, unless they have to play with how the balls were made 50 plus years back, these guys can hit a twenty odd year old topflight 2000 or pinnacle gold the distances they hit now, so how far do they think we need to send the game backwards

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure changing the ball would make a lot of difference in the distance, unless they have to play with how the balls were made 50 plus years back, these guys can hit a twenty odd year old topflight 2000 or pinnacle gold the distances they hit now, so how far do they think we need to send the game backwards

Why just change the ball. Change everything. Make the ball spin more, make it lighter, make the clubs harder to control, change the grooves again, put the emphasis back on skill, and not just power. Golf was always a game for all physiques, tall, short, athletic, less so. If you are starting out now, looking at college golf, you won't get a look in if you are 5 5, and 140lb wringing wet.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Grow the rough up nice and thick at 300+. Put a premium on a balance between power and distance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, because the harder you make the game, (it's not just about how far you hit it off the tee, it's making it more difficult to hit it long and control the ball flight, more difficult to control the spin around the greens), the more the really good guys will shine.
I just don't see how bifurcation will stop Rory from bottling Sundays. (y)

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Grow the rough up nice and thick at 300+. Put a premium on a balance between power and distance.
This is what I posted on a different site
'It's no good just making it too rough for the risk and reward, otherwise everyone lays up in the fairway and it becomes a short game or putting contest, I think the golf tours have got it just about right with a variety of set-ups and a variety of ways to play them. The proof is that a majority of the wins come from the best 10-20 players in the world'

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I will be honest, I did not have a clue what the question meant, I have had a look and bottom line, it’s a rammel idea.
When golf courses were first designed hazards were put in Place, bunker, water, long grass where balls landed off the tee. Now players/ Pros are hitting the ball 50-100 yards past the bunkers/ hazards because of technology etc. The course needs to change. Put/ move the bunkers where the majority of balls are hit off the tee. Don’t make the fairways 50 yds wide with a first cut of 1/4” and the second cut 1/2”.As a pro if your off the fairway you are punished, end of. if it is a second shot for a par five, again put hazards where the ball lands. Don’t make greens the size of a cricket pitch.
Re amateurs, don’t assume we can all hit it 240 yds off the tee. Sort out the courses, especially at pro level. Not the equipment.

evemccc

Visit site
Rory is a bomber

Where has he won majors? AFAIK it's at bombers courses..

Golf I'm afraid should have been more strict years ago Vs the OEMs. I think cricket is the sport to learn from with regards this, but the horse has long since bolted with golf. Metal cricket bats were a v short lived 'thing' until they were outlawed decades ago. The size of Driver heads, and the forgiveness, are quite ridiculous compared to the years past...But, you know, money talks..

I am sure that the ball Tiger uses IS the BXS you or I could buy off the shelf. But I believe that there are plenty of other golf products (callaway ball etc) that are different for tour players. Wedgeworks, Left Dash etc, coming to the market belatedly. I wonder what else there is.

Bifurcation is now. It just needs to be formalised

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Callaway have ◇ head drivers with varying degrees of voodoo in them for different players
Not on general sale although the odd "Tour Issue" crops up occasionally
They have different iron heads too
Look through the Club Conforming list and you'll see drivers from other companies that haven't been available in the shops....these are Tour only ones too.