Would you like to see bifurcation come in?

Would you like to see bifurcation come in?

• Yes

Votes: 27 48.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 51.8%

• Total voters

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If bifurcation happens then the gear will cost more. 100% it will
If they just restrict the length of a shaft (no am is going above 46" anyway), possibly restrict the loft of drivers (same driver, less loft), and have a pro ball and an amateur ball (effectively the same but with different dimple patterns to affect the distance) then how would that affect pricing?

The only fundamentally different item will likely be the ball. I don't see that having a major impact on the prices we pay now.

I'm not saying the above is what will happen by the way. I am reading the info and looking at simple options, that could well never happen.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The details aren't overly clear from the R&A/USGA report but would you, as a club golfer, be happy to play different equipment and balls to the tour pros?
This post does not match the question of the thread!
(Post)..Would I be happy to have bifurcation.... Yes
(Question)...Would I like to see bifurcation...Not particularly!

FWIW. If it 'saves' some 'classic' courses, then I'd sooner some sort of bifurcation occured - probably (solely) relating to/involving the ball.

D

Deleted member 18588

Wonder how manufacturers would handle bifurcation?

2 different sets need extra R&D. doubt the pro's will end up shelling out for the additional research. Also, how would they showcase their gear if the sponsored Pro is using a different club to the target audience.

The real upshot would be that gear cost more to the man on the street I think.
Player endorsements are largely about brand awareness rather than specific product promotion.

After all most, not all, of the top players in the OWGR are still using blades yet such irons represent a very small proportion of sales to Joe Public.

And very few will be influenced by the pro's apparent choice of driver as the shaft and other specs are going to be way different to the one on the shelf at AG.

Why do the manufacturers insist upon contracted players displaying logos on caps and bags?

Don't think it's to promote sales of baseball caps but it is about getting the brand name front and centre.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Probably against the principle. I want to see a pro belt a ball with equipment in the same governance tolerance that I use, so I can marvel at how much better they are than me!

Bringing the equipment back so that old courses come back into play, and means a 450 yard par 4 is a long hole, is no bad thing either.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not for bifurcation at all. The long hitters will still be the long hitters even if you shorten the driver shaft and mess around with the ball.

Tighten up the courses, firm up the fairways and also , make the max loft allowed 56 degrees. Get some thought, skill and creativity around the short game.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
...The long hitters will still be the long hitters even if you shorten the driver shaft and mess around with the ball.
But the difference between 'long hitters' and 'short hitters' would be so much less! So 'disadvantaging' 'long hitters'!
Tighten up the courses, firm up the fairways...
Happy with this!
...and also , make the max loft allowed 56 degrees. Get some thought, skill and creativity around the short game.
Don't agree with this! The restriction on number of clubs allowed in a 'bag' effectively restrricts sufficiently imo!
Btw. I have had some fun with a 73* wedge once! Not something I'd have in the bag permanently, but fun for a round!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I didn't even notice that, haha. I just answered the title because it's directly above the poll answers.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This has already happened in the 1960's
As a young Assistant pro playing against amateurs in winter alliance meetings I had to use a 1.64 size ball and the amateurs could use a 1.62.
Made a hell of a difference round Dunbar in an easterly gale.:eek:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This has already happened in the 1960's
As a young Assistant pro playing against amateurs in winter alliance meetings I had to use a 1.64 size ball and the amateurs could use a 1.62.
Made a hell of a difference round Dunbar in an easterly gale.:eek:
Talk about 'living in the past'!
Things (lots of) have moved on!
Btw. Dunbar in an Easterly gale would have been a lottery anyway!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site

FWIW. If it 'saves' some 'classic' courses, then I'd sooner some sort of bifurcation occured - probably (solely) relating to/involving the ball.

No, poorly worded. Go with the main question. I’ll blame home schooling six-year-old twins on this particular loose one

D

Deleted member 1147

Make the pros use blades and restrict wedges to 56*, and make driver heads smaller.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
No, what they have is what we should have.

No issue with the pro game, players work, train and grind to hit it that far and tee box moving accommodates that. Add more hazards rather than playing on wide open fields.

D

Deleted member 18588

No, what they have is what we should have.

No issue with the pro game, players work, train and grind to hit it that far and tee box moving accommodates that. Add more hazards rather than playing on wide open fields.
But we don't have what they have and never will do.

Prototype designs, individually manufactured heads, shafts that are often not available to the public.

Just because DJ, Rory,Tiger etc; use Taylormade for example doesn't mean we can obtain and play with the same equipment.

Plus many top courses are running out of space for further lengthening.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Prototype designs, individually manufactured heads, shafts that are often not available to the public.

Just because DJ, Rory,Tiger etc; use Taylormade for example doesn't mean we can obtain and play with the same equipment.

Mc Ilroy ( for an example) uses a Sim2 driver with a Ventus blue shaft, an option open to an amateur.

What the pros get and most of us do not is the opportunity to try different lofts and loads of different shafts. Play with it and change it the next day if they do not think it is quite right.

D

Deleted member 18588

Mc Ilroy ( for an example) uses a Sim2 driver with a Ventus blue shaft, an option open to an amateur.

What the pros get and most of us do not is the opportunity to try different lofts and loads of different shafts. Play with it and change it the next day if they do not think it is quite right.
At the very least the head will have been subject to a far higher level of quality control plus the shaft will not be anything like the OEM version.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the shaft will not be anything like the OEM version.

Have you personal experience to say that?

I am pretty sure it will be made to have the same kick point etc as the one you buy in an off the shelf club. It may just be when they test them the keep the better ones (i.e most closest to the original) spec for the pros. It could well me that there are more than is needed for the pros so a lot might well end up on a club you buy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Have you personal experience to say that?

I am pretty sure it will be made to have the same kick point etc as the one you buy in an off the shelf club. It may just be when they test them the keep the better ones (i.e most closest to the original) spec for the pros. It could well me that there are more than is needed for the pros so a lot might well end up on a club you buy.
The standard Ventus that comes in the SiM is a good shaft but it lacks the Velacore tech that the more expensive version has.
It stabilises the shaft more for the stronger player
Costs about 300 quid.
There's no way on earth Rory has the standard Ventus jn his SiM

D

Deleted member 15344

I have that Ventus shaft and it’s not the same Ventus Shaft that Rory will be using - the fitter had one of those and I tried it , it’s very nice and is better balanced and costs over £400

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I do think shafts are the main difference between our clubs and theirs.

Best example is Bubba's driver - part graphite, part steel!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

We do and can have what they have, we just don’t have the money they have to buy it.
We can get equipment used by professionals second hand, again if you know someone or have some money spare for a charity auction.
All equipment follows R&A rules, there’s no magic distance giving clubs. Just hard work physical training and natural ability by the players.
Give Rory a matching American golf club head and he will hit it the same distance.

Shafts are a feel thing. They are not a driver of the golf ball. They do nothing for length unless the shaft is longer in length.