Would you go to a golf tournament - Just because Tiger was playing?

Would you go to a golf tournament - Just because Tiger was playing?

• Yes - I would

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • No - I wouldn't

Votes: 39 54.2%

• Total voters

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Something Peter Kostis said in commentary at the Wyndham Championship last night got me thinking.

He said (.... I'm paraphrasing by the way):

"Whatever your opinion of him, the game still needs Tiger Woods. 50,000 extra tickets have been sold this year compared to last"

I know he (... Tiger) divides opinion one here most, if not all, of the time but clearly he still has the draw of the paying American public, based on Peter Kostis comments.

Do you think the gate increase, is purely down to Tigers decision to play the event, or a combination of other factors?

Would you buy a ticket to go and watch a golf tournament, irrespective of who else was in the field, just because Tiger Woods was playing?

D

Deleted member 15344

Well its a bit of dilemma actually

If you go when Woods is playing then everyone is following him which leaves you clear to watch the others

But i wouldnt go purely because Woods is playing

But many will because there are a lot of people who only watch golf when Woods is playing.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's hard to under state how much of a draw Tiger is in the US, he is massively popular even now. I was in a bar in NY a few years ago when he holed a chip for birdie and the reaction in the bar was unbelievable, it was like the home football team had scored.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Yes. If Tiger was playing, it would probably be a decent tournament at a good course with a reasonable field. But if you asked me if I would go and watch a third rate tournament at an iffy venue with Tiger being the only star in the field, its got to be a no.

Cheifi0

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like many on here, I am a golf fan so whether Tiger is at a tournament will have no effect on if I will attend an event. In wider terms Tiger is going to attract people who have a slight interest in golf.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to the WGC at The Grove when woods played, it was great, 1000's of spectators following Woods, we had a fantastic close up view of just about every other match. Personally I wouldn't have walked across one fairway to watch him.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Yes, a tournament like the Wyndham were it's him and without sounding to disrespectful a load of pros that are trying to get into the bigger events (obviously there was the odd exception) I would go pretty much just to see Tiger play.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I walked across about 4 or 5 fairways to watch Jack Nicklaus tee off at an Open at Royal Lytham a few years ago and he didn't stand a hope in hells chance of winning, so I guess I would take a slight interested if Tiger were playing. I've never seen him in the flesh before, so it would be a first I suppose. I mean, he IS a superstar isn't he.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No to Tiger but yes to Rory. I don't warm to Tiger so I would not go out of my way to see him. However I would go out of my way to see Rory, Jordan Speith and possibly one or two others. How far I would travel is another question though.

As has been mentioned, Tiger is very big in the US so he is important to golf in the US.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Tiger Woods wouldn't be a factor in my decision to attend a golf tournament or not. I've seen him a few times before and it hasn't been any more memorable than seeing some of the others.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although he was not the reason I took my daughter to Wed practice day at The Open this year, but the fact that it was my first time seeing him play (in the flesh) and also that he birdied the Road Hole in the Champions Challenge made it pretty special.
I regret not making the effort to see him back in the day

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I went to the WGC at The Grove when woods played, it was great, 1000's of spectators following Woods, we had a fantastic close up view of just about every other match. Personally I wouldn't have walked across one fairway to watch him.

I was there too and saw him play THE shot on the 18th. I have seen him a few times and would certainly like to again. He transformed golf in the last decade as far as I'm concerned

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yup, i would and have, i watched him at the 2000 and 2005 Opens and would have not have gone otherwise.
I have no doubts that I watched the greatest golfer in history at the top of his game, watching Ernie Els, ho hum, but he aint no Tiger (Random major winners name plucked at random)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've said no, even though I'm yet to go to any golf tournament and see any pro's playing in the flesh.

I'm not a Tiger hater but I really don't like the circus that follows him and I'm pretty sure I'd end up saying something if some knob next to me starting shouting after his drives or shots, so its a no from me.

I would really like to watch & follow someone like Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Justin Rose in the top tier, but I would also like to watch a slightly lesser pro tournament and follow the likes of Tommy Fleetwood, Andy Sullivan and Danny Willett and watch how they go about their game.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It would depend on the circumstances.
I have been several times to the Open and would do again totally irrespective of whether or not Woods or any other single big figure was playing.
Equally I have been to tournaments on the Asian circuit when I live there when the big names were for me the main attraction. Woods would be one of those big names still for me, if I could get to a local tournament but he would not be the biggest potential draw. Speith or McIlroy would be much bigger now for me. I saw Woods in his pomp at the Open and he was impressive but following him was not easy because of the crowds even on the practice days.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've said no, even though I'm yet to go to any golf tournament and see any pro's playing in the flesh.

I'm not a Tiger hater but I really don't like the circus that follows him and I'm pretty sure I'd end up saying something if some knob next to me starting shouting after his drives or shots, so its a no from me.

I would really like to watch & follow someone like Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Justin Rose in the top tier, but I would also like to watch a slightly lesser pro tournament and follow the likes of Tommy Fleetwood, Andy Sullivan and Danny Willett and watch how they go about their game.

Who else is chipping in for Fish's tickets then :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If I was going to a tournament it was because it was local enough to do so and I could afford the tickets. Woods being in the field wouldn't make the difference. Great if you could see him (and McIlroy et al) but I disagree with Kostis, certainly in respect to me and he wouldn't be the draw and reason I went