if you were visiting a course and there was bad weather..

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
would you expect to get a complementary round, if there was some standing water on the greens?

during our first round club champs yesterday, we had a freak thunderstorm that literally flooded a couple of the greens and left puddles on others. our comp was abandoned because of lightning and a hail stones the size of ping pong balls.

there were a few groups of visitors booked out after the comp and a 4 ball of South Africans where having lunch on the table next to us and overheard their conversation with the starter.

they didn't go out in there allotted time as it was raining so they moved back. when the starter said the course was ok to play now as the green staff had been called in to squeegee the greens.

they were also told that a couple of the greens still had some standing water and to just take a drop if required.

they were not happy with this and demanded a free round the next day at around the same time.

the course is booked solid today with 50 caddies booked for visitors and no way they could just be stuck in the middle of that.

he did offer them later, if required... they were still not happy with that.

so should you expect to get an other round if there was a part of the course you were unhappy with???

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Laying Down that you want the same time tomorrow is downright cheeky if you ask me.

Surely they know other people are booked in. Imagine how they would react if told that wash out groups from Friday where taking their Saturday tee times.

Any free rounds would and should be at the club's discretion.

irip

Head Pro
Visit site
Fair play to your club for firstly trying to get them out later and secondly offering a time the following day

The club is not responsible for the weather and are under no obligation to try and get you out if your tee time is delayed/cancelled because of weather

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
My buddy and I played with a guest on Thursday and it lashed down the whole round.

Pro was laughing at us in the clubhouse afterwards and asked why we stayed out. Said we could have walked in and he would have given the visitor another round on a dry day.

Thought that was a decent of him and said it stands for future guests if the rain is as bad.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We played a winter round as a group with a tee off near mid day, we never got near finishing as the course was rammed and we walked in after 13 holes. We insisted on a free return, which they didn't like, but we certainly weren't cheeky enough to tell them when and what time - we booked the return in the normal way.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If they were fine when I arrived and a freak storm caused the issue then I'd put it down to bad luck and either play on the course as it was on the day or go back at the time available the following day (whichever was most convenient). It's hardly the clubs fault so getting the hump and demanding the same time the following day is a little bit stupid.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mmmm. I think they were expecting too much.

If the course was unplayable, and likely to remain so for the rest of the day, then I think I'd expect a good course to offer courtesy on another occasion. But at the convenience of the course. If, after a delay, the course was playable - albeit not perfect - then you take it on the chin.and go out later. (Unless there were no available tee times, in which case courtesy on another occasion). Basically, if the course says you can't play they should offer an alternative, but if they are allowing you to play - then you go out.

I rember something of the kind at West Linton. The heavens opened just after we paid the greenfee and course was under water in minutes. Not sure I've seen rain like it before or since. Starter told us to wait and see what happens. It stopped raing after about half an hour. The starter came looking for us and told us that course would be very wet, and some bunkers would be full, but course playable in about an hour. We could go out then, or we could have our money back. Good service - we waited. And thoroughly enjoyed it.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
At a course like Nairn which is popular with golf tourists and probably has full sheets through the Summer,,,,,,,then I think they were asking too much. Other quieter courses might have the luxury to be more accommodating

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The club can't be responsible for an act of God. It was an honest offer from the club. I'm not great at customer service, and if they got snotty with me I'd have been giving them their money back and showing them the door.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Rain Check - Yes; Same Time - only if available!

The obvious question to ask would be how that group would feel if the equivalent happened the other way around - them getting shunted by a group from Saturday demanding their time!

There surely must be a 'Policy' published by the club and (clearly) agreed to when booking! Simply applying that policy is what should happen, even if it results in disappointment for the potential participants. And the policy should cover...the possibility/likelihood of inclement weather; who gets to define 'unplayable' or 'degraded' conditions; what rain-check/refund/reduction/reschedule options there are in each case and so on! That way, all customers are treated equally - pushy or not! Though it is equally important that appropriate staff are on-hand to make and apply the decisions!

I've been affected by weather on several occasions and have generally been impressed how Managers of golf clubs (particularly Scottish ones) handle the situation - even down to providing free breakfasts and arranging an alternative (and better!) venue in a couple of cases!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We played Lingfield Park a few years ago and it started snowing heavily half way round. Within another 3 holes the whole course was white.
Gave up and the pro gave us a voucher for another game at any time in the future.
I think I've still got it in a drawer somewhere....:mad:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
We played Lingfield Park a few years ago and it started snowing heavily half way round. Within another 3 holes the whole course was white.
Gave up and the pro gave us a voucher for another game at any time in the future.
I think I've still got it in a drawer somewhere....:mad:

im sure you could pay somebody to take it off your hands Rob.:thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played at a place called Holsworthy (not far from Bude) on a boys weekend. We got there and it had been raining all morning but the course was holding up. We decided to go out but after nine with the rain still falling and the wind picking up we called it a day. We adjourned to the bar for some food and a drink. When we went to pay the bill, the club said as we didn't finish the round it was on them. Lovely touch and something which means I'll definitely be making a return trip next time I'm down that way. Totally unexpected

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A free round yes, same time not necessarily. If they were tourists and couldnt use the round later on then I can see that upsetting them, but the club is being reasonable

If you want visitors/tourists and you want them to come back then you need to offer the free round when the course is partially playable, regadless of who's fault it is. This is not a golf thing, its a business thing

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Depends how much I'd paid for the round in relation to full price

If I booked an out of season or similar deal with heavy discount its much harder for a club to offer a free 'rain-round' and still control an ongoing stipulation of when that round is used. There is after all a reason why that green fee is discounted so if the course is open at my tee time then play it

If I'd paid the going rate and the course cant be played to its usual standard expected for that green fee then I'd look for a free-round back

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Hard to decide. Golf is an outdoor sport, after all. Also, weather forecasts have become relatively reliable, so when you show up for a round, you normally have a general idea of what to expect and if you decide after the front nine that the clubhouse is a much cozier place to be, so be it. If the course becomes really unplayable because of severe flooding or in case of prolonged thunderstorms, I think the course should offer you a refund or give you a voucher for a later round. But I would still see it as a courtesy and not as something they are demanded to do.